PDA

View Full Version : Which ForceWare Release 70 driver?

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 12:23 AM
Good evening.
I have just purchased a brand new 'NVidia' Riva TNT2 Model 64 (M64) off ebay with a whopping 32MB of RAM on board for just a little over $500 which is a bargain i am told, and im looking foward to playing all the latest games like DOOM3 and HL2. It didnt come with any software so my first step was to download the latest drivers from the Nvidia website. It couldn't be easier. At least thats what i thought initially.

Unfortunetly though it seems:
1. The BIOS cannot be flashed and is stuck with a 2002 BIOS.
2. It is not supported by the new ForceWare 77.72 driver as I get the following error:

"The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit... have a nice day.. sucker"

Of course you dont know this until you have wasted 20mb downloading it as it does not say on the nvidia drivers page that the GPU is not supported by the latest forceware. Infact i had to google around for a while to find a link back to the nvidia website to the 'supported products list'. Nice one. Thanks for wasting my time. (I'll be sending you the bill for the 20mb wasted download plus my time which is $80 an hour at 4 hours, plus interest).

I thought i would contact support for help, as you do with most good companies that look after their customers. Its called customer support. Unfortunetly it seems Nvidia are more concerned with profits then customer support and there is no way to contact them via email, web based email or telephone support. That seems highly suspicious these days that such a large company would not even provide a telephone number.

Anyhow, getting back to my issue...

I am presented with a page from the link:

"The following products are not supported in the current ForceWare Release 75 driver. Please continue to use the previous ForceWare Release 70 drivers available here" and here is:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Now, I know nvidia wouldn't want me to be downloading ALL these driver versions to find out which ONE works because that would be a pricey bill ontop of what they already owe me and considering there is not enough information provided by the webmaster to make the right choice i will ask here and hope someone knows the answer...

Which of the 'latest' archived "ForceWare Release 70 drivers" on that page is going to work with my new TNT2 M64?

Thank you and have a nice day.

saturnotaku
07-20-05, 12:30 AM
That $500 better be a typo. Hell, if it was $50, it'd better be a typo. If you paid more than $5 for that card, you got seriously ripped off. The TNT2 M64 is one of the lowest-end graphics cards from 1999-2000. The card is barely capable of playing Quake 3 on its lowest settings. Pretty much any game released after that requires at least a GeForce2-level card. And new games like Battlefield 2 need a minimum of a GeForce FX.

F_L_C
07-20-05, 12:33 AM
Is this guy for real?

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 12:37 AM
That $500 better be a typo.

LOL. Yes your right!
I meant to say 0.5c
It was only worth 0.5c in 1999 and still is. :thumbdwn:
:D

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 12:41 AM
Is this guy for real?

Wrong answer.
Try again. :bash:

saturnotaku
07-20-05, 12:41 AM
Of course you dont know this until you have wasted 20mb downloading it as it does not say on the nvidia drivers page that the GPU is not supported by the latest forceware. Infact i had to google around for a while to find a link back to the nvidia website to the 'supported products list'. Nice one. Thanks for wasting my time. (I'll be sending you the bill for the 20mb wasted download plus my time which is $80 an hour at 4 hours, plus interest).

OK, now that I actually read this part, I have to say that for someone claiming to be a "lawyer" in his/her profile, you're not very bright. Right on the main driver download page on NVIDIA's site, there's a link (plain as day) that says "Products Supported." All you needed do was click on that to get a complete list of all "products supported" ( :eek: ) by the current downloadable driver set. It plainly says that the TNT line is not supported. But since you're a "lawyer" it's your job to blame others for your own negligence. I can't completely hold that against you.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/77.72_winxp_32_supported.html

Doesn't get much more obvious than that. And NVIDIA even gives you another link to get the appropriate driver! :eek: again!

I thought i would contact support for help, as you do with most good companies that look after their customers. Its called customer support. Unfortunetly it seems Nvidia are more concerned with profits then customer support and there is no way to contact them via email, web based email or telephone support. That seems highly suspicious these days that such a large company would not even provide a telephone number.

NVIDIA only creates chipsets, they do not manufacture cards. If you want support for an NVIDIA product, you must contact the company that made the card. But your product is so old, you wouldn't get support for it anyway. NVIDIA only provides reference drivers as a convenience. ATI is different because they sell and market cards under their brand name, NVIDIA does not. So sorry, Charlie, that crow doesn't caw.

F_L_C
07-20-05, 12:50 AM
OMG...this guy is for real.

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 12:54 AM
Ok..
You fell for it. Im a comedian not a lawyer. I didnt think anyone would be stupid enough to take sarcasim seriously but seeing as you did, the jokes on you. LOL.
Anyhow, wether nvidia have made the link clear or not on their website, thats a matter of opinion. Its clearly not obivous to me or i wouldnt be here and thousands of posts on forums in google wouldnt be searching for a driver if it was that clear. Just because the link is there doesnt mean its 'clearly' visible which is still the same thing. Example; the fine print sometimes in contracts are overlooked because they are NOT CLEARLY VISIBLE.

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 01:32 AM
NVIDIA only creates chipsets, they do not manufacture cards. If you want support for an NVIDIA product, you must contact the company that made the card. But your product is so old, you wouldn't get support for it anyway. NVIDIA only provides reference drivers as a convenience. ATI is different because they sell and market cards under their brand name, NVIDIA does not. So sorry, Charlie, that crow doesn't caw.

Yes very convenient isnt it.
Again, thats a matter of opinion.
If that were the case, then i wouldn't have been getting support from nvidia up until recently. They dont even have a phone number for goodness sake!
What kind of a company doesnt have a phone number?
The expression is called 'passing the buck'.
Or for you in english that you can understand... "passing responsibility on to someone else".
If you still dont understand i suggest using babylon.com. They can translate that into 60 languages, including yours.. nipper

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 01:46 AM
OMG...this guy is for real.

You wont be so fun loving after ive castrated you sonny jim.
Dont comment unless you have something intelligent to say.

jAkUp
07-20-05, 01:48 AM
This driver should work:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_28.32.html

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 02:01 AM
This driver should work:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_28.32.html

Hey jakup, thanks. Finally a straight answer from someone.
One question..
Is that the latest version i can use from the 70 series (or detonator) drivers?
2002 seems a bit, old.
I realise its an old card and im just trying to get the latest driver it last supported before crash and burning.
Cheers ;)

jAkUp
07-20-05, 02:05 AM
This is the latest driver that will work with your card:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

d5t3Y9t3v7D0f2g
07-20-05, 02:15 AM
This is the latest driver that will work with your card:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Ok downloading..
I'll let u know if it installs shortly.
Cheers :alc:

F_L_C
07-20-05, 02:22 AM
You wont be so fun loving after ive castrated you sonny jim.
Dont comment unless you have something intelligent to say.

Some advice for you: do some research, then come back and reread what you posted.

HighTest
07-20-05, 11:39 AM
Ok..
You fell for it. Im a comedian not a lawyer. I didnt think anyone would be stupid enough to take sarcasim seriously but seeing as you did, the jokes on you. LOL.

:thumbdwn: Your about as funny as Seinfeld, which always caused pains in my bowels when channel surfing.

Seriously, the jokes on you as any future requests for help that are serious will now be treated the same manner as the boy that always cried "Wolf".

:mad: If it helps, I hope you get on cable, so you can be one more show that I ignore.