PDA

View Full Version : Interview with member of Croteam - Serious Sam 2 Engine/Graphic related

Seph gPu
07-20-05, 02:26 PM
For us technical buffs, here's a great read on shaders, the latest gpu's, and everything croteam has inside it's new Serious Sam 2 engine. http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/dean/

Here's the most note worthy part for us Nvidia owners

"Since SS2 is a TWIMTBP game, should we expect any NVIDIA-only features (like Depth Stencil Texture)?

Even better - HDR! Our HDR is the feature for all hardware that supports FP blending and filtering. So yes, you might say that it's NV-only feature. For the time being. :)"

My problem personally is the game still looks like ass. The textures are too washed out and dull. But they did this to fit ALOT of enemies on screen.

zoomy942
07-20-05, 08:06 PM
maybe it all looks dull cause they forgot to enable Digital Vibrance. :)

j/k

SH64
07-20-05, 08:10 PM
My problem personally is the game still looks like ass. The textures are too washed out and dull. But they did this to fit ALOT of enemies on screen.

You said it yourself. SS is a game known for handling a lot of eneimes at same time + very large draw distance . so they have to sacrifice something for another & i completely understand this :)

i still remember how i encountered more than 50+ skeletons creatures at same time in SS:2nd Encounter. i'm expecting the same here.

Seph gPu
07-20-05, 09:05 PM
You said it yourself. SS is a game known for handling a lot of eneimes at same time + very large draw distance . so they have to sacrifice something for another & i completely understand this :)

i still remember how i encountered more than 50+ skeletons creatures at same time in SS:2nd Encounter. i'm expecting the same here.

Yea But SS:2nd encounter looked gorgeous at it's time.

anzak
07-20-05, 09:44 PM

How can you say that? It's got far shaper textures than Doom 3 or even Half Life 2 (the texture work was really disappointing in HL2). Take a look at this screenshot.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12622&stc=1

The more I read about this game, the better it sounds. I loved the first 2 and am really looking forward to this one!

TheManko
07-21-05, 06:08 AM
Here's another one of those people who are looking forward to this ALOT.

|MaguS|
07-21-05, 06:32 AM
SS2 looked and played like ass at E3, I wont even think about getting the game untill I play a demo.

Zelda_fan
07-21-05, 07:42 AM
that screenshot looks pretty nice actually

Acid Rain
07-21-05, 04:17 PM
The more I read about this game, the better it sounds. I loved the first 2 and am really looking forward to this one!I'm on it. Can barely wait for this one. It's nice to have a decent light hearted shooter available. SS-SE taught me this. Also, all the properly configured shots look great.

Tygerwoody
07-22-05, 07:34 AM
looks like the UT 2004 engine to me :rolleyes: .....

Sorrow
07-22-05, 07:51 AM

Obviously you never played the first edit: and second one else you wouldn't bash how good this looks given how many enemies will be on screen.

BrianG
07-22-05, 08:46 AM

That game is so much freaking fun. I may install it again when I get home from work...

Ninjaman09
07-22-05, 10:15 AM
That game is so much freaking fun. I may install it again when I get home from work...
My friends and I played through it on co-op last weekend, it was a total blast (huh huh get it)!

Seph gPu
07-22-05, 10:59 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Morrow
07-22-05, 11:40 AM
What I found quite interesting about the interview is what Dean had to say about 3Dc. He talked about some weaknesses the 3Dc format has and why they won't support it eventhough they heavenly promoted 3Dc last year which all the funny ATI logos inside the game.

I'm just wondering now if those weaknesses he was talking about are the reason why we don't see 3Dc in any game, even not HL2? Are the disadvantages of 3Dc really outweighting the advantages and is 3Dc just another DOA feature of ATI?

Tygerwoody
07-22-05, 03:44 PM
Obviously you never played the first edit: and second one else you wouldn't bash how good this looks given how many enemies will be on screen.
*cough* *cough* Sorry, I meant to say "looks like UT 2004 engine to me....... with more enemies."

that better? :inform:

anzak
07-22-05, 07:18 PM

*cough* *cough* Sorry, I meant to say "looks like UT 2004 engine to me....... with more enemies."

that better? :inform:

You people just don't get it. Game engines don't make good looking games, artists and programmers do. A game can't look like a game engine because an engine is just an engine, nothing more. The only area its really lacking in is shadowing, but you can't have the shadowing engine of Doom 3 or CoR with 50+ enemies on the screen. Since the game won't be too graphically taxing, higher levels of AA and AF won't be a problem. Also, good technology does not make a good game, I never finished Doom 3 because I got too bored 2 hours into it.

What makes the Serious Sam games great is the fast paced gameplay in a very unique environment. SS2 is different because its set in such weird environments with over the top enemies and guns. It's gonna be a refreshing change from the realistic first person shooters I've been playing. Here are some more screens.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12663&stc=1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12664&stc=1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12665&stc=1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12666&stc=1

ralinn
07-22-05, 07:31 PM
Eeeeer, I think it look damn freakin sexy for a game with so many enemies onscreen at once. Those screens are awesome!