PDA

View Full Version : Video Playback still broken with 77.76

Pages : [1] 2

panzaman
07-20-05, 06:21 PM
Video Playback is still broken for 6600gts, MediaPlayer and BSPLAYER freezes when trying to play any video. Even tried with VMR enabled...no luck.

Reverting back to 71.89 solves the problem, but those drivers don't work well with BF2... I thouht that nVidia had aknowledged the problem and they were working on a fix.

Why did they touch the video overlay code??? Wasn't it fine as it was?

Acid Rain
07-20-05, 08:16 PM
Do you have windvd installed at all? There is an open non NV issue with media player and windvd. Specifics elude me, but I remember seeing something about it in the release notes.

It's possible that NV was kind enough to implement a workaround in the 71.89s, even if it's not their problem. They do this sometimes, when no-one else will (NV's BF2 shadows fix in the 77.30s. ATi users had and still have this exact same issue, with no fix anywhere in sight, so it's not an NV problem, yet NV saw fit to fix it.)

wEEt
07-20-05, 11:57 PM
I bet you didn't remove the old drivers before you installed the new ones? Right?

panzaman
07-21-05, 02:11 AM
Thanks for replying guys, and no I don't have WinDVD installed and I have also cleaned the PC from previous drivers Apparently this is a known issue to nVidia, this is the reply I got few weeks ago from a BFG guy:

>>Thank you for your request.
>>I apologize for the previous tech, the video freezing issue is directly
>>related to the 77.72 drivers, and it is a known issue.
>>Actually, the driver you're really going to want is the 66.93 driver,
>>available at nvidia.com. This is going to provide the best, and most stable
>>performance.
>>Please let us know if there is anything else we can do.

>>James E @ BFG Technical Support

Osamar
07-21-05, 03:07 AM
I have no problems at all, would you mind to try this. I use K-Lite mega codec pack and Media Player Classis and/or Winamp. You can download it here http://www.codecguide.com/

PD. I it is no legal to insert links, please delete it.

jolle
07-21-05, 03:11 AM
wierd video went away with 77.76 for me..

panzaman
07-21-05, 06:08 AM
I have tried that (the codecs stuff) it still doesn't work. And then as I said reverting back to 71.89 everything works fine.

Also ChrisTV and Pinnacle Vision application freeze when I try to run them, definately something to do with the overlay (both apps use the hardware overlay for displaying TV signal).

I am puzzled, I am quite a techy guy, and I have always managed to solve any issue with my PC but I can'tr manage to find a work around for this prob, other than using older drivers.

Apparently I am not the only guy with the same problem since they introduced the 77.xx series.

Looks like it only happens on 6600 and 6800s.

Again, guys, thanks for the suggestions.

orphyn
07-21-05, 05:45 PM
Do you have windvd installed at all? There is an open non NV issue with media player and windvd. Specifics elude me, but I remember seeing something about it in the release notes.

It's possible that NV was kind enough to implement a workaround in the 71.89s, even if it's not their problem. They do this sometimes, when no-one else will (NV's BF2 shadows fix in the 77.30s. ATi users had and still have this exact same issue, with no fix anywhere in sight, so it's not an NV problem, yet NV saw fit to fix it.)

I have 2 ati cards that don't have any problems w/shadows inbf2

fivefeet8
07-21-05, 11:26 PM
Videos are working fine here. I'm using WMP and NstantMedia. Played a few divx/mpeg2 files and they work fine.

jolle
07-22-05, 02:21 AM
BF2 shadowbug, what is that anyway?
is it these blocky shadows?
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33818606

panzaman
07-22-05, 06:10 AM
OK, is there anybody here with same config as mine, NForce 3 motherboard and BFG 6600gt card?
If so, is video playback working fine for you?

crainger
07-22-05, 11:39 PM
I don't have the same config as you, but I had exactly the same problem. I installed the drivers, experienced video/overlay problems then my 6800GT bit the dust. Constant display corruption even during boot. Looks like its going back hopefully to be replaced. Only 1 year old and XFX has a 2year warranty. Ofcourse I'm never gonna buy XFX again. Never even overclocked it.

I wish you luck with you vid problem panzaman. I would be troubleshooting with you but I'm out of the race althogether now.

panzaman
07-23-05, 07:13 AM
update, I have installed a clean copy of XP on a old hard drive, started my PC from there, install the 71.89 version of the drivers and I can play video, install the 77.76 version and I am unable to play any video. Even nvDVD freezes at start.

Definately something wrong in the 77.xx version of drivers.

Now does anybody know which files, within the nVidia Forceware, relates to the overlay code?? I'll try to set up a mixed driver with overlay/2d from 71.89 and 3D code from 77.76.

Thanks.

Pixel Lomari
07-24-05, 01:14 AM
I have same issue. Hope I can find a fix cause I play BF2 a lot and don't wanna mess up the shadows or frame rates bby getting the old drivers.

panzaman
07-26-05, 04:17 PM
I have found a temp fix, until nVidia decides to put things as they were before....

video playback should work if you move the Video Hardware Acceleration slider down of 4 notches.

Pixel Lomari
07-26-05, 08:17 PM
DVd doesn't tho :(

john19055
07-26-05, 08:25 PM
What are you talking about the video playback does'nt work ,I have no problems with any of my video's they all play fine with any nvidia driver that I use.

Pixel Lomari
07-26-05, 10:23 PM
it seems to be with some 6600 gt's

panzaman
07-27-05, 03:06 AM
yep that's what I have managed to find out, soe 6600gt'd are crippled, there is something wrong with the hw decoding, I take nVidia has fully enabled the feature in their latest batch of drivers, orat least they are fiddling with it, I hope they can give us an option in the future for disabling/enabling whatever they are trying to implement with the current sets of drivers.

crainger
07-27-05, 03:40 AM
yep that's what I have managed to find out, soe 6600gt'd are crippled, there is something wrong with the hw decoding, I take nVidia has fully enabled the feature in their latest batch of drivers, orat least they are fiddling with it, I hope they can give us an option in the future for disabling/enabling whatever they are trying to implement with the current sets of drivers.

If thats true then the attempt to enable the features on my card may have been what killed it?? :confused:

panzaman
07-27-05, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't exclude that possibility...but you should be covered by warranty shouldn't u?

macatak
07-27-05, 10:37 PM
Have you tried either the 77.30 or 77.50 drivers ? (77.30's came with the BF2 Demo)

panzaman
07-28-05, 02:48 AM
Yes and they don't work, I have contacted BFG yesterday and their response is that this is a known issue with a batch of 6600GTs, apparently nVidia is working on a fix to be implemented in the WHQL 77.76 (not the beta that has been released last week).

crainger
07-28-05, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't exclude that possibility...but you should be covered by warranty shouldn't u?

Yep, in the process of having it replaced now.

TierMann
07-30-05, 01:30 PM
Yes and they don't work, I have contacted BFG yesterday and their response is that this is a known issue with a batch of 6600GTs, apparently nVidia is working on a fix to be implemented in the WHQL 77.76 (not the beta that has been released last week).

Have you tried the 77.77 beta yet, Panzaman?
NV doesn't implement anything without changing the version number too, 99% of the time, so this may be a version with a few fixes that'll be WHQL'd soon.