PDA

View Full Version : new cs:s patch lowers cpu use

killahsin
07-21-05, 06:29 AM
Counter-Strike: Source Update Available
July 20, 2005, 5:00 pm Alfred Reynolds

An update to Counter-Strike: Source has been released. The update will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Counter-Strike: Source

Optimized game to lower CPU usage

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

j0j081
07-21-05, 06:39 AM
This is probably more beneficial to servers.

killahsin
07-21-05, 04:30 PM
Nope its a client patch not a server patch, apparently.

j0j081
07-22-05, 12:10 AM
Nope its a client patch not a server patch, apparently.
anyone notice a difference then? I don't feel anything here but it was running fast enough on my rig already.

killahsin
07-22-05, 03:23 AM
well from what i understand its mopre of a physics thing and is noticeble more on the older school cpus. Many mappers have claimed that they noticed a huge difference 20-30%ish on their maps in certain high physics sections. and that the low low dips don't happen as much in cs:s now anymore, like they used to. More of a constant fix rather then a upgrade to your peaks.

macatak
07-22-05, 06:51 AM
My VST score dropped by a couple of FPS after the update :confused:

BioHazZarD
07-22-05, 12:33 PM
I noticed a small fps boost both while playing and when running the stress test.

Banko
07-27-05, 02:43 PM
Yes but when will they come out with the patch so the barrels don't push you back?

killahsin
07-27-05, 05:19 PM
Push u back or the jittery effect they used to create? The jittery effect from before is gone. As for barrels pushing you back, i guess you should try gaining some weight? I suppose this is due to your character having a set weight and the barrels having one too. Just like in real life a full oil barrel is going to push u back, lol. But i do understand what your saying. The problem is simply solving it isn't as easy as one might think. Any physical way of solving it effects every other physical property in the game.

Banko
07-27-05, 06:27 PM
Push u back or the jittery effect they used to create? The jittery effect from before is gone. As for barrels pushing you back, i guess you should try gaining some weight? I suppose this is due to your character having a set weight and the barrels having one too. Just like in real life a full oil barrel is going to push u back, lol. But i do understand what your saying. The problem is simply solving it isn't as easy as one might think. Any physical way of solving it effects every other physical property in the game.
Well you can't jump on barrels without them pushing you back, I mean in real life you can at least touch a barrel...

anzak
07-27-05, 06:40 PM
Well you can't jump on barrels without them pushing you back, I mean in real life you can at least touch a barrel...

That is built into the maps. Some mappers have fixed it, but they ran into latency issues.

Spyke
07-28-05, 11:49 PM
The cpu issue was fixed in the dedicated server, not the client. There was no client update. How do I know? Well I run at least 15 CS:S servers for customers across a few servers and they been getting hammered by an update sometime ago, all is back to normal now since this release.