PDA

View Full Version : A64 X2 4800+ BFG 7800GTX strange problem

Pages : [1] 2

Smitty
07-21-05, 08:48 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this problem.

I just switched from Intel to an AMD X2 4800+ and am having a very strange problem in Windows XP. My Logitech MX510 seems to be laggy or sluggish when I move the mouse around, or especially when I'm browsing in Firefox. I've tried just about everything, from switching from usb to ps/2, running memtest, disabling USB legacy in the bios, uninstalling mouseware, trying another mouse, etc.. It is a fresh XP install, so no extra services are running. I did not have this problem with my old P4 3.4 GHz/ATI x800xt system. I've seen posts by people on other forums about slow 2D with the Nvidia cards, but never any solution. The latest 77.76 drivers didn't help.

Here are my specs:

X2 4800+
A8N-SLI Premium
Seasonic S12-430 power supply
2x1GB Corsair Twinx2048-3200c2pt
BFG 7800GTX
74 GB Raptor
300 GB Seagate 7200.8

Anybody have any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out on this one!

lone_bullet
07-21-05, 09:00 AM
maybe the A64 drivers? just a guess :)

BrianG
07-21-05, 09:28 AM
Make sure that in the device manager under Computer you have ACPI Dual Processor. Verify that the task manager shows both cores. You did install Service Pack 2, correct?

Which BIOS rev do you have on the motherboard?

Which nForce drivers are you using? Download an install the latest nForce4 Standalone versus the drivers I think are included on the motherboard driver disk. I know my Deluxe had the standard nForce set instead of the nForce4 standalone which screwed up the SATA/RAID drivers.

I will say that everything about my dual-core system is smooth as can be. There is nothing about my system that is laggy or sluggish.

jAkUp
07-21-05, 09:50 AM
Make sure you have the latest BIOS flashed

Smitty
07-21-05, 09:59 AM
Are the A64 drivers from AMD required? I have Cool 'n Quiet disabled in the BIOS, and won't be using it.

I'm using a fresh install of XP SP2, with the latest nforce drivers, 6.66. I didn't install the IDE drivers with the package (there have been several posts all over about problems with the IDE drivers).

I have "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" in Device Manager. I do see both cores in task manager. CPU-Z also shows both cores.

The A8N-SLI Premium ships with the latest bios, 1005. 1006 is in beta, but apparently people have had issues with the beta version.

nippyjun
07-21-05, 11:00 AM
I would consider uninstalling the display drivers and see if the problem goes away. If it does then try a different version of the display drivers.

SignorSalad
07-21-05, 11:59 AM
I have a fresh XP install with an x2 4800/DFI nf4/7800gtx paired with a logitech mx518. No adverse affects or slowdown experienced either with the logitech drivers loaded or without (using standard XP drivers).

Silly question perhaps, but have you made sure the mouse is plugged in completely? And second silly thing: have you tried the mouse in a different usb port?

Smitty
07-21-05, 12:04 PM
I've tried the 77.72 Nvidia drivers, and the new 77.76 drivers. I may try those 80.40 betas tonight.

I'm pretty sure the mouse is plugged in all the way :D

I've tried all 4 USB connections on the back. I will try the front connections on my Sonata II tonight. I don't know if that would even make a difference, since they are on the same USB controller.

SignorSalad
07-21-05, 12:23 PM
I've tried the 77.72 Nvidia drivers, and the new 77.76 drivers. I may try those 80.40 betas tonight.

I'm pretty sure the mouse is plugged in all the way :D

I've tried all 4 USB connections on the back. I will try the front connections on my Sonata II tonight. I don't know if that would even make a difference, since they are on the same USB controller.

Good deal...I didn't want to insult you, I figured you had that covered... but sometimes its the simplest things which are the problem, lord knows I've done it more times than I can count. :)

Smitty
07-21-05, 12:32 PM
haha, you didn't insult me...believe me, I've checked and double checked things, thinking I did something stupid!

I just feel like I've tried everything with this issue. The system is rock stable, it just has the annoying mouse stuttering/slowdown. In games it seems fine, but it is very noticeable in Windows.

Big Ev
07-21-05, 01:30 PM
Hrm, my X2 4400+ runs smooth as silk w/ the 7800GTX. I am running on x64 if that makes a difference.

Which DVI port on the BFG do you have the monitor hooked up too? Someone elses just switch to port 1 and his performance problems were fixed.

GlowStick
07-21-05, 01:56 PM
I hate to ask, but check the mouse properties settings. sometimes weird settings are turned on. I was freaking out because some how 'enhancer pointer percision' would make it seem like my mouse was skiping around. but then i noticed it only happend around buttons turned it off and everything was well. maybe try messing with some settings there?

Smitty
07-21-05, 02:00 PM
I just tried some more things over lunch:

I uninstalled the logitech mouseware, and installed an old MS optical mouse...problem still exists...enhancer pointer percision is disabled

I switched the DVI cable to DVI2, no difference, same problem.

littlegreenguy
07-21-05, 03:32 PM
uninstalling mouseware, trying another mouse, etc..

When you increase mouse acceleration does it make a noticeable difference at all?

subbo
07-21-05, 03:47 PM
Tried disabling mouse shadow? I'm out of ideas :(

Smitty
07-21-05, 04:08 PM
When you increase mouse acceleration does it make a noticeable difference at all?

Not really, I can still notice that it isn't smooth. I especially feel lag when I drag the mouse around, switching the cursor from text to the pointer.

Smitty
07-21-05, 04:11 PM
Tried disabling mouse shadow? I'm out of ideas :(

I tried that, no go :mad:

I've swapped or disabled nearly everything, I'm thinking about swapping out the 7800GTX for a x300 from work to see if that could possibly make a difference.

nippyjun
07-21-05, 06:48 PM
I tried that, no go :mad:

I've swapped or disabled nearly everything, I'm thinking about swapping out the 7800GTX for a x300 from work to see if that could possibly make a difference.

Try a non usb mouse and see if the same thing happens.

littlegreenguy
07-21-05, 07:14 PM
smitty, i'm stumped. that must be pretty darn annoying.

maybe you need consult a witch doctor to remove the demons within the depths of your pc

-=DVS=-
07-21-05, 08:11 PM
Defective Motherboard ?

byte8086
07-21-05, 10:13 PM
Try a PS2 adapter on the USB mouse. My MX1000 does the same thingy on the lag.

Smitty
07-21-05, 10:19 PM
I was able to fix it!

With a catch...

Just for grins, I went into display properties, then advanced, then troubleshoot, and lowered the hardware acceleration one notch, "Disable cursor and bitmap accelerations." Now the mouse is smooth as silk in XP, just like before.

Any idea if this means something is wrong with my 7800GTX? I would think it would be able to support the full XP acceleration.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Smitty
07-22-05, 06:19 PM
Here is another follow-up:

I installed an ATI x300 from a Dell from work, and everything is perfectly smooth at "Full acceleration" in the display properties. So it looks like the culprit is my 7800GTX.

Should I RMA the card back to newegg, or does anybody think it may be a driver problem? Any other BFG owners experiencing this? I've tried all the latest sets of drivers...77.72, 77.76, 80.40.

-=DVS=-
07-22-05, 06:45 PM
Same mobo just 4400+ X2 and no problem WinXP SP2 . Could be software and or maybe hardware conflict with IRQ ... or something.

Smitty
07-22-05, 07:25 PM
I checked the IRQs, it was sharing 18 with my firewire controller from my Audigy 2. I disabled the controller, so it had its own IRQ, and the problem still happened.