PDA

View Full Version : Thermalright XP-90 / XP-90c

SignorSalad
07-21-05, 05:12 PM
I currently have a Thermalright XP-90 with a panaflo 92mm fan, and with the setup in my profile I idle @ 40-42c and run load @ 53-59c depending on application. (I live in Florida and the ambient temp is pretty warm.)

I'm wondering if I might see a noticable benefit moving from the XP-90 to the XP-90c.

Opinions?

Riptide
07-21-05, 05:21 PM
Sure. Copper is better than aluminum for spreading heat. Should drop it a couple degrees.

keith33
07-21-05, 06:39 PM
Depends on your case, for example,I have an XP-120 but my WaveMaster case doesn't have the greatest ventilation so I idle between 36-39 and load between 48 and 54. It should be much lower but there isn't enough air for the heatsink to blow on to the CPU. Also, go with the XP-120, it pushes much more air at much lower RPMs hence it's way quieter.

anzak
07-21-05, 06:44 PM
You should see a difference, but its not a worthy upgrade IMO.

fastguy94416
07-21-05, 07:03 PM
I've got an xp-90 and I am getting load temps of 42C. I think it all has to do with your airflow, I'm running a Lian Li PC-60 Plus.

edit: Ok I lied, Getting both cores to 100% i get a load of 47C

Rytr
07-21-05, 07:32 PM
I currently have a Thermalright XP-90 with a panaflo 92mm fan, and with the setup in my profile I idle @ 40-42c and run load @ 53-59c depending on application. (I live in Florida and the ambient temp is pretty warm.)

I'm wondering if I might see a noticable benefit moving from the XP-90 to the XP-90c.

Opinions?

I did a review of the XP-90C and compared results with the XP-90. I used the Prescott 3.4E system as the test bed. The results can be found here: http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/thermalright_xp90c/index.shtml

LBJM
07-21-05, 08:45 PM
to be honest make sure you get good air flow thru the case the more ait flowing the better. temps should drop. I live in New Mexico and it's hot here so I understand your pain.

SignorSalad
07-22-05, 08:11 AM
to be honest make sure you get good air flow thru the case the more ait flowing the better. temps should drop. I live in New Mexico and it's hot here so I understand your pain.

well,
I have the lian-li pc v1000 plus, which was reviewed here as well as in the silent SLI review (available off the main nvnews page). The plus version of the case includes a shield that covers the processor area to gather excess heat and draw it out of the system, which I have set up (see the reviews). There's also a VGA exhaust fan included that sucks up heat generated by your GPU and dumps it outside of the case. I have all my cables (power, 4 sata, and 1 floppy cable either with cable wraps or ties, and they are tied up and out of the way literally as neat as I could possibly make it. In short, my case is non cluttered at all, and I have it setup the way its supposed to be. So I don't really know how much cooler I can make the case itself.

I seem to be getting higher temps with the xp-90 than others with the same cooler, but still slightly less than if I was using the stock AMD cooler. Not that an extra $60 for the xp-90c is a big issue, but is it worth the hassle of taking off current xp-90 and installing the new one for a 2 degree difference. Especially since I read that review (thanks rtyr) and realized that I would have to take the motherboard out to install the back plate. Anzak kinda summed up what I was thinking, not worth the switch, I think.

Thanks for the input though!

SignorSalad
07-22-05, 06:05 PM

Smacks forehead. I had the CPU voltage manually set at 1.5, and had left it there after testing out several overclocks with some 512x2 OCZ 3.3volt VX memory. When I set it back to auto, load temps dropped to 46-48 and idle dropped to 37-39.

Much more in line with the review's load temps.

Riptide
07-22-05, 06:28 PM
1.4 is the default?

SignorSalad
07-22-05, 07:15 PM
1.4 is the default?

On the DFI board set to auto, its booting up with 1.3 volts.

ViN86
07-22-05, 07:50 PM
id buy more fans for the case. the difference between the XP-90 and XP-90c in terms of performance is not more than 2 degrees (according to some reviews ive read, as i too considered the XP-90c). it would probably be better to increase air flow through your case.

SignorSalad
07-22-05, 09:48 PM
id buy more fans for the case. the difference between the XP-90 and XP-90c in terms of performance is not more than 2 degrees (according to some reviews ive read, as i too considered the XP-90c). it would probably be better to increase air flow through your case.

I thought of that, but there's nowhere really to put them, unless I were to cut the side of the lian-li, which would be a shame really, its so nice as it is.