PDA

View Full Version : GTA & ESRB: Game Developers Speak Out

Zelda_fan
07-21-05, 07:19 PM
I know there is already 2 topics on this, but this is a damn good article and I feel it is worthy of a seperate topic.

http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=771

Suprisingly, game developers are backing up the ESRB. The article is a great read, but if you don't read it in full at least read these quotes.

The ESRB has the power and the responsibility to rate games based on the content shipped with the game. Publishers and developers have a responsibility to be honest about that content so that games can be accurately rated based on their content. The problem in this particular situation is that a dispute apparently exists as to whether the "hot coffee" mod content was included with the game or whether it was added or enabled only with the use of unauthorized third party software and/or hardware.

Running With Scissors and POSTAL have been the scapegoat of the game industry for a long time so this is an issue I'm very familiar with. We all know the rules, and so the ESRB did the right thing. No one company or game is bigger than the industry, the ESRB does a very good job in representing the video game industry, much better than other entertainment industries. Now I'd like to see our politicians and media dogs say something positive about the ESRB and recognize their positive actions instead of the immature personal attacks of the past week.

Most games have locked and/or hidden content and gamers are used to locating cheat codes, gameplay holes etc in their games. Heck, there are even commercial companies releasing products specifically for that. Didn't Rockstar expect that it could be unlocked? Of course they did. This is not some fly-by-night accident and Rockstar is not a team of novice programmers.

a few facts about the hot coffee mod and it's impact

1) All models, textures, and animation sequences WERE shipped with the retail game. All the hot coffee mod did was unlock the clip. There was also a simple gameshark cheat code that allowed the "hot coffee" scene to be unlocked as well. In essence, all that was needed was a "on" button.

2) This *will* hurt rockstar and take two. Nearly all retailers WILL NOT carry an AO game. Take two has already predicted a large stock drop due to the losses that this will incur.

3) While the ESRB is not mandated by law, all major game retailers have agreed to follow the ESRB and going against it is looked down upon. If a developer tried to sell it's game without the ESRB, no one would sell it. So in essence, what the ESRB says *is* law, it just isn't backed by the government (it's backed by the retailers).

vampireuk
07-21-05, 07:38 PM
They will continue to make huge amounts of money and will continue to make extremely entertaining games, to hell with ratings for lazy parents. :p

GamerGuyX
07-21-05, 07:53 PM
They will continue to make huge amounts of money and will continue to make extremely entertaining games, to hell with ratings for lazy parents. :p

I agree 100%. Rockstar has by far done more good than bad for the industry.

Besides, from the sounds of it this whole AO rating thing isn't going to hurt Rockstar as much as jonk thinks (hopes) it will.

Pols, analysts, and critics react to new AO sticker; most see limited downside for Rockstar as a "buy on the dip" attitude prevails.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/21/news_6129543.html

Another thing is that San Andreas is only getting taken off the shelves temporarily.

Zelda_fan
07-21-05, 08:17 PM
Another thing is that San Andreas is only getting taken off the shelves temporarily.

Unless Rockstar releases a M version wihtout the hot coffee it won't be going back on as nearly all retailers do not sell AO games.

Zelda_fan
07-21-05, 08:19 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/21/news_6129543.html

nice article.

although Take-Two's president Paul Eibeler today did tell the Wall Street Journal that his organization is "'evaluating' whether any individuals will face repercussions."

they are considering firing someone over this, and you want to tell me it isn't a big deal to them?

GamerGuyX
07-21-05, 08:20 PM
Unless Rockstar releases a M version wihtout the hot coffee it won't be going back on as nearly all retailers do not sell AO games.

I know that and that is what Rockstar already said that they were going to do. ;)

So you see, Rockstar isn't going anywhere.

they are considering firing someone over this, and you want to tell me it isn't a big deal to them?

It isn't as big a deal as you make it out to be. This is exactly how it will go:

1.) Rockstar finds and fires whoever implemented the hot coffee contents.
2.) Rockstar releases M-rated version of San Andreas with everything exactly the same but without a way to access "Hot Coffee".
3.) Rockstar continues being the company they were and continues to make great games that sell very well.

jAkUp
07-21-05, 09:30 PM
Derek Smart gives his opinion??!!

vampireuk
07-22-05, 04:49 AM
jonk really is trying to start a mini crusade against Rockstar :rofl

Ninjaman09
07-22-05, 06:55 AM
Yeah this really isn't a big deal. Heh heh, funny though. :D

BioHazZarD
07-22-05, 09:41 AM
Well its R fault they did not remove the feature but you cant blaim people if it is that easy to unlock then they will.

LycosV
07-22-05, 09:42 AM
The one aspect that I'm surprised noone has touched on is the lawyers. This whole thing has class action written all over it. Not that I support blatant class action lawsuits, but Rockstar has money and that's like blood in the water to lawyers. I expect a class action suit against Rockstar before the end of the year.

LycosV

BigWilly
07-22-05, 10:17 AM
If anything I think this whole big stink about "hot coffee" is going to increase sales of San Andreas, the ones with the extra content that is. Just look at the prices on ebay lol!

$n][pErMan
07-22-05, 05:14 PM
ANyone know where I can get this crack to enable the sex scene??? I just got the game today (last one left they had in the back) for the sole reason its being pulled and reworked.

Gentle
07-22-05, 05:34 PM
Would you have bought the game if it didn't have this mode in it?

Gentle

$n][pErMan
07-22-05, 06:04 PM
Would you have bought the game if it didn't have this mode in it?

Gentle
Probably not... I was going to get Farcry instead (I'll get that next week I guess). I just wanted it out of sheer curiousity (BTW... I found the mod in IRC). I also wanted it because its being pulled and a new version is being made. I got the last DVD copy at one store ... and got another at another store which im keeping sealed and am going to sell on ebay in a few months(with the mod burned on CD to go with it). :D