PDA

View Full Version : ipod no longer mine

oldsk00l
07-22-05, 11:29 AM
I had a stark revelation on the way to work today, my ipod in actuality sounds no better than my PSP for music.

After having converted my entire itunes library to mp3 using jhymm, I tried (using my new headphones) comparing the audio quality of the two devices.

The ipod kind of sounds a bit worse, the lows sound great on the ipod. However, when you get into highs (like some of Coldplay's songs, or if you try out some moonlight sonata) the ipod sounds pretty damn cheap.

The midrange is decent on almost any device, except for the crap-ass Creative Nomads. But man I have to tell you, being able to simply convert my protected files into mp3, and then with the PSP being able to do aac very soon...the ipod is just an inferior product in my eyes.

So, I called the Apple store I bought it from, and they are happy to refund it (phew). The device is in mint condition, and I will probably use the refund/gift card towards some other Apple stuff in the future (or just use it to buy music on itunes as I want).

For those that own a PSP, an ipod is completely worthless to you, don't waste your time.

Riptide
07-22-05, 11:34 AM
Actually I find that I'm using my PSP far more for music than anything else. But then I didn't have any portable players until I purchased one. The only time I use my PSP at all is when I'm on the road. The rest of the time it's gathering dust. :(

Kojiro
07-22-05, 10:20 PM
Uh did you turn on graphic equalizers :rolleyes: . Both Creative and Apple juke boxes have equalizers. They sound a lot better when you enable those, because they are not enabled by default. :p

I played MP3s on my PSP and my Creative Zen Xtra. They are both the same. It's just that I can hold 30Gbps on my juke box rather than just 512MB.

I use my PSP for more productive tasks such as watcing movies and anime fansubs that I encode myself. I can fit 2 hours of pretty good quality video on a 512 MB stick. Even if I had 2GB stick I would use it to store more videos and my SNES emulator roms intead of music. PSP games suck. Thats why I play nintendo games on it.

Rakeesh
07-22-05, 10:29 PM
The one advantage that the ipod has is higher storage capacity. However, the PSP uses solid state storage, which means you could jog with it completely safely if you were so inclined (I have heard mixed oppinions of whether or not you can jog with an ipod.)