PDA

View Full Version : HDD recognised as F: instead of C:?

The Boatman
07-22-05, 01:19 PM
Ok, I've been spending the afternoon putting my new PC together:

Shuttle XPC Spacewalker SN25P Socket 939 - AMD64
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm 1MB L2 (939 Pin) - Retail
Microsoft® Windows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 OEM
Western Digital Raptor SATA/150 74GB 10000RPM
Shuttle CR40 Double Layer 16x DVD Writer (Black)
Sony 3.5 inch Floppy Disk Drive (Black)
Corsair 2GB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS3.0 Kit (2x1GB)
BFG GeForce PCX6600 GT OC 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

All was going swimmingly until I tried to install Windows XP and its recognised the HDD as drive F intead of drive C. How can I make sure the HDD is drive C - do I have to reinstall Windows? Any advice appreciated!

Riptide
07-22-05, 01:30 PM
The drive has no existing partition on it, is that correct?

Also, do you have any USB hard drives or any other USB storage devices hooked up and powered on at the moment?

nrs421
07-22-05, 01:36 PM
type in mmc in Run

Ctrl M (Add/remove snap in)
click on add
select disk management
click on add
click on finish
click on close
click on ok
click on disk management
right click on drive
click on change drive letter and path
change to letter you want
viola!

Tr1cK
07-22-05, 02:35 PM
Whenever you install Windows, make sure that only 3 drives are hooked up.

#1 floppy (only needed for RAID drivers and such)
#2 your intended C: drive
#3 the optical drive you are installing windows from

Beyond that do like he says and go to computer management and change your letters around, though I'm not sure how well it will work if it's your system drive.

Starscream
07-22-05, 02:41 PM
I've seen that happen a number of times. When you build a new system with a new unformatted, unpartitioned drive and use the xp cd to format the drive you sometimes get a weird drive letter. If you simply reboot after formatting the drive and THEN continue the install this will not happen.

JeRi
07-22-05, 03:21 PM
that happened to me recently when i messed up my boot files while attempting to OC. was forced to reformat my raptor (my HD for my OS) and reinstall windows. but now my 200GB Seagate (w/ 2 partitions) are C: and D:, while my raptor (with windows installed) is F:. I'm just too lazy to reformat again and go thru reinstalling everything, so everything installs to F: now instead of C:. Once you install windows, you can't chage it's letter (i've tried, doesn't work with what was suggested earlier), so the only way to remedy this is reformat and reinstall (i believe)

oC|-TiTaN
07-22-05, 04:30 PM
type in mmc in Run

Ctrl M (Add/remove snap in)
click on add
select disk management
click on add
click on finish
click on close
click on ok
click on disk management
right click on drive
click on change drive letter and path
change to letter you want
viola!
Tip of the year! This works great (don't want to change my own, however, in case programs don't detect the change very well)

The Boatman
07-22-05, 04:31 PM
I've reinstalled Windows and the HDD is now recognised as C, but I still get the option to remove the C drive as detachable hardware, why is this?

nippyjun
07-22-05, 05:31 PM
I've reinstalled Windows and the HDD is now recognised as C, but I still get the option to remove the C drive as detachable hardware, why is this?

Because it's SATA. that's normal.

Absolution
07-23-05, 03:22 AM
ive had that twice, both times because of a USB media card reader (memory)

solution: unplug untill you use windows

j0j081
07-25-05, 06:47 AM
Is it best to make all your partitions before installing Windows or after it if you are starting from scratch?

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 07:13 AM
Well since this is on the same topic somewhat... can anyone tell me why my Primary HD creates a zero sized parition (windows detects it as unformated)? I have tried to delete it and even merge it with the main partition... nothing works, I always have an unusuable "H" drive. Oh and it doesn't show up under disk management either...

Filibuster
07-25-05, 11:04 AM
Well since this is on the same topic somewhat... can anyone tell me why my Primary HD creates a zero sized parition (windows detects it as unformated)? I have tried to delete it and even merge it with the main partition... nothing works, I always have an unusuable "H" drive. Oh and it doesn't show up under disk management either...

Its probably something goofy in the partition table and Windows can't deal with it right. Depending on how much you know about dos and the like you could make a dos boot disk and put fdisk on it, and see if you can delete the rouge partition that way. There are other programs that can help but unless you're comfortable with doing things like that (you could make Windows not work anymore if you do the wrong thing) I would leave it alone.

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 11:26 AM
Its probably something goofy in the partition table and Windows can't deal with it right. Depending on how much you know about dos and the like you could make a dos boot disk and put fdisk on it, and see if you can delete the rouge partition that way. There are other programs that can help but unless you're comfortable with doing things like that (you could make Windows not work anymore if you do the wrong thing) I would leave it alone.

Yeah, I even tried Partition Magic. Like I stated, It wont even delete. FDisk will report it deleted and once I enter windows its there again...

Filibuster
07-25-05, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I even tried Partition Magic. Like I stated, It wont even delete. FDisk will report it deleted and once I enter windows its there again...

If you have ndd (norton disk doctor) for dos and run ndd /rebuild it will find valid partitions and recreate the partition table. That might rip the bad stuff out because it rebuilds it from scratch. If it finds the 0mb partition you can just tell it to not add it.
Its worth a shot.

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 12:47 PM
I don't touch anything with the name norton on it... I have had too many problems with the software in the past and it pisses me off that they force you to pay for updates after a year. What a crock...

Filibuster
07-25-05, 01:03 PM
I don't touch anything with the name norton on it... I have had too many problems with the software in the past and it pisses me off that they force you to pay for updates after a year. What a crock...

I hate all of their Windows products too (not from using them, but fixing computers with them) but diskedit and ndd have served me well over the years.
Good luck with solving your problem! :D

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 01:11 PM
Yeah I basically use TweakXP to hide the drive... Its not a serious issue, just annoying.