PDA

View Full Version : 7800 GTX Problems

AngelGraves13
07-22-05, 04:26 PM
First of all...I have nothing overclocked and am running on Antec's newest power supply, which is SLI capable. I just bought the ASUS 7800 GTX yesterday and am having some problems.

HL2 crashes at 1600X1200 resolution if I set everything to 4XAA and 16XAA.
Sometimes it works, but usually it crashes with a memory reference error. My memory works fine and has never given me problems before.

Far Cry won't work at 1600X1200 either, only in windowed mode.

I run my desktop at 1600X1200, so I don't know what the problem is and my old cheap 5750 FX series ran at 1600X1200 fine, although very slowly.

DOOM 3 is the only game I can think of that is coded well...NEVER a single problem or hitch. It ran fine from the second I put the card in.

SO WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM??

J-Mag
07-22-05, 04:28 PM
what drivers are you using?

NM: I just saw your sig...

Have you tried 77.30?

AngelGraves13
07-22-05, 04:35 PM
no, not yet. I'll give it a go after I get some more opinions. This is really driving me mad. Far Cry and HL2 are little quitters! This just comes to show me that Carmack is the man and he can code engines to be very futureproof. The other 2 games, no cigar.

keith33
07-22-05, 04:43 PM
Check your Event Viewer in MMC to see what's the error. It could be something like memory too.

nippyjun
07-22-05, 05:28 PM
Sounds like vid drivers. Change em.

kwynjunk
07-22-05, 06:03 PM
First of all...I have nothing overclocked and am running on Antec's newest power supply, which is SLI capable. I just bought the ASUS 7800 GTX yesterday and am having some problems.

HL2 crashes at 1600X1200 resolution if I set everything to 4XAA and 16XAA.
Sometimes it works, but usually it crashes with a memory reference error. My memory works fine and has never given me problems before.

Far Cry won't work at 1600X1200 either, only in windowed mode.

I run my desktop at 1600X1200, so I don't know what the problem is and my old cheap 5750 FX series ran at 1600X1200 fine, although very slowly.

DOOM 3 is the only game I can think of that is coded well...NEVER a single problem or hitch. It ran fine from the second I put the card in.

SO WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM??

Have you called ASUS Tech Support? They may be able to help

AngelGraves13
07-22-05, 06:04 PM
I don't know what they would say really. The odd thing was when I first installed the card, I could see my desktop because everything was screwed up, I had to hit f8 during boot and enable vga mode to see my desktop ad download and install the new drivers. Is that odd?

AngelGraves13
07-23-05, 02:16 AM
well it must be the drivers because all the nvidia demos work great and so do other d3d and opengl games except HL2 and Far Cry. I uninstalled Far Cry, it's a shame too. I bought it a year ago and still haven't had a chance to play it. Oh well...

Zurble
07-23-05, 05:31 AM
I don't know what they would say really. The odd thing was when I first installed the card, I could see my desktop because everything was screwed up, I had to hit f8 during boot and enable vga mode to see my desktop ad download and install the new drivers. Is that odd?

sounds hardware to me....or bios settings?
first thing i would do is to remove replace your card in the PCIe slot (don't forget EZ plug if needed, 4 pin P4 plug and 6 pin 7800 plug)
if your otherboard support SLI, check that they don't use a special SLI card on the MB.
i don't know your motherboard, but check what are the available settings for VGA card (PCIE VGA boot, SLI, PCIE bus speed, Aperture?, ...)

if you see the ESCD updated at boot when unplug/plug the card, it might be a false contact in the PCIe slot, or card not correctly inserted (before or after).

u should not have issue already before installing drivers, this doesn't smell good...or did you left previous card's driver? was it a clean install ?

pingu2
07-23-05, 05:41 AM
run memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ - first thing to do is check your memory thoroughly if you are getting memory errors! try test 7, i've found that to be the best at finding memory errors..

Eltigre88
07-24-05, 10:59 AM
I think out of all the games you mentioned Doom3 is the only that uses openGL. So I would say you have DirectX issues. What version are you running for DirectX?

AngelGraves13
07-24-05, 05:52 PM
I tested a bunch of other games and only Far Cry and HL2 are still giving me problems. Tron 2.0 ran perfectly, as did other directx games including the very old max payne. The nvidia demos also ran great, so it must be an issue with the drivers. When I updated to the 77.72 on my old 5750 FX series, HL2 and Far Cry began giving me problems at any resolution.

I have an SLI ready power supply, so I used its PCI-E power cable and the video card is installed correctly into the slot. My movies run great in VMR 9, that stupid flickering box at the top right corner on the FX series in VMR mode is gone, mainly because of hardware VMR support.

All in all...it's a great card and I now know that it's the drivers that are giving me problems. So until they come out with new drivers, I'll simply not play HL2 or Far Cry.

OWA
07-24-05, 06:16 PM
Does dxdiag show any problems?

AngelGraves13
07-24-05, 06:23 PM
no, it says everything is A-OK. I'm convinced it's the 77.xx drivers. I had the same problem running those 2 games when I installed these drivers even on my Fx series graphics card, so it's something nVIDIA needs to fix. Any way I can file them a bug report with my system specs and settings??

OWA
07-24-05, 06:44 PM
I think you have to do it through the manufacturer of your card (ASUS).

Have you tried reinstalling your monitor driver or seeing if there is an updated one. Seems like it wouldn't work correctly in any game if that was the issue but it may be worth a shot if you've tried everything else.

bigjohns97
07-24-05, 09:03 PM
The memory error is something i used to get when i was clocked too high on the cpu. Try running prime95 instances if you can pass 32m it's not your cpu.

AngelGraves13
07-25-05, 04:50 AM
ok, I SOLVED THE PROBLEM. When I was trying to run the game, I had the AA set to application and the supersampling option on. It would always fail. I turned application mode off by picking 4XAA in the nvidia menu and now HL2 works everytime. What a stupid bug. I'm guessing that Valve's engine has trouble running 4XAA and the supersampling option in application mode, so it quits.