07-22-05, 09:41 PM
Taken from teh XBOX360 version .. hence the jaggies :o

http://www.theelderscrolls.com/art/obliv_xbox360_screens_01.htm
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=26904&mode=thread&order=0
:drooling: :drooling:

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/3130/tes4e3dremora0ro.jpg

Acid Rain
07-22-05, 10:22 PM
Wow. While the shots are droolworthy, holy crap do the PC shots pee all over them. Look at the third shot, at the brick wall on the left. It looks like bilinear filtering. The jaggies kill the scene as well, and it also looks like they've cut some geometry out to conserve memory. Maybe it isn't anywhere near fine tuned for the console, but, I'd assume that they'd get the super moneymaker version (console version) done and ready first.

From the looks of things, the new consoles truly will repeat history, with PCs racing far ahead of them in a measly year's time or less.

SH64, I love the screens, but what I'm saying is that I'm happy the PC shots eat those for breakfast. In virtually all PC shots, the quality of the mapping techniques is insane; a wet cave wall really looks to be moist, slippery, etc. Also, the foliage looked much better in my opinion.

Wow, what a way for me to be a pseudo-ass party crasher. :D

I am seriously looking forward to the PC version of this.

SH64
07-22-05, 10:51 PM
SH64, I love the screens, but what I'm saying is that I'm happy the PC shots eat those for breakfast. In virtually all PC shots, the quality of the mapping techniques is insane; a wet cave wall really looks to be moist, slippery, etc. Also, the foliage looked much better in my opinion.

Wow, what a way for me to be a pseudo-ass party crasher. :D

I am seriously looking forward to the PC version of this.

Of course ! i'm getting this game on PC & nothing else .. i just drool on these shots until the PC sweetness comes :D
even for that scaled down quality they still look quiet good :cool:

Clay
07-22-05, 11:27 PM
Thanks for using Imageshack SH64 and not hotlinking. :thumbsup:

SH64
07-22-05, 11:29 PM
Thanks for using Imageshack SH64 and not hotlinking. :thumbsup:

Well .. i learn from my mistakes :)

jAkUp
07-23-05, 12:19 AM
Yea the PC version looks much better.

Banko
07-23-05, 01:36 AM
Xbox version doesn't look to great... I thought the EDRAM on the Xbox is supposed to apply AA to pretty much every game?

Acid Rain
07-23-05, 03:05 AM
Yea the PC version looks much better.Yup, and the funny thing is, ever since Xbox 360 specs started leaking out, it's been "PCs will take forever to catch up! Years!!!". :rolleyes:

Really? We can already buy fatty dual core procs (just one measly core away!), and jAkUp, you already have that kind of graphics horsepower available to you, long before 360 is even available!!! Available as in, you play with the gear every day, right now! Let's not even get into ram capacity...

Hell, the next generation cards (post 7800GTX) will utterly decimate these consoles.

It looks like history will repeat itself, but, contrary to popular belief, it's actually happening much quicker this time, especially on the graphics chip front. I don't think CPU's will trail for long either. Good times!:D

Edge
07-23-05, 04:05 AM
Really? We can already buy fatty dual core procs (just one measly core away!),
A dual-core 2.4ghz PC processor is a hell of a long way from a triple-cored 3.2ghz PowerPC processor.

Hell, the next generation cards (post 7800GTX) will utterly decimate these consoles.
Well I'd hope so, if a videocard comes out afterwords and costs twice as much as an entire console it BETTER be faster.

It looks like history will repeat itself, but, contrary to popular belief, it's actually happening much quicker this time, especially on the graphics chip front. I don't think CPU's will trail for long either. Good times!
Sounds like you are misinformed, actually.

On topic, why are both the PC and Xbox360 shots the same resolution when 1024x576 isn't even a valid resolution for the Xbox360? And why is no anti-aliasing being used in the screenshots of either version, especially when Xbox360 games are required to have AA on them? Seems odd that they wouldn't show shots of the PC version with the highest AA quality possible for screenshots, unless they can't get AA working with bloom/HDR. Hope we won't be forced to decide between the two, a lack of AA with HDR was slightly annoying in Far Cry, but in a slower-paced game like Elder Scrolls where you'll be looking at the scenery very often, it would be much more noticable. Aren't the next generation of cards supposed to address this?

jolle
07-23-05, 04:55 AM
Daedric Armor :drooling:
Altho I was a "light armor" man myself mostly In morrowind, fast acrobatic archer.

Good news (well perhaps not news) on Stealth front.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_emil.htm
Apparantly the guy working on the "stealth" bits in the game, worked on the Theif series..
And it seems he is listening to what people is asking for in the Stealth department on the forums.

So what will the stealth gameplay in TES IV: Oblivion be like? Will it essentially be the same type of gameplay featured in Morrowind?
The simple answer is: not even close. In fact, the stealth systems in Oblivion have been completely redesigned in order to accommodate the gameplay fans want and expect.

So yes, light and shadow will affect your ability to sneak.
Yes, NPCs will react believably -- in both speech and action -- to the player appearing and disappearing before their eyes.
And yes, lockpicking now requires quite a bit more than just selecting a tool from your inventory and activating a door or chest.

Acid Rain
07-23-05, 05:50 AM
Inform me, then. In a PM. I am not sure what you're referring to. I prefer fact over fiction, and am all ears. I geuss maybe I was a little overzealous, but I don't feel that I was very much so, if at all.

*Edit* No PM or link anywhere to be seen. I geuss there truly was no challenge to the point I made. Excellent. Oh, and, Edge, I'm pretty sure you understand that mhz alone doesn't tell the whole story, when comparing two differing CPU architectures. Of course you do, and thus, I am very surprised you brought up the 3.2 VS 2.4 mini-debate. Extra core or not, the console's cpu will certainly have a very limited time in the limelight.
Hope we won't be forced to decide between the two, a lack of AA with HDR was slightly annoying in Far Cry, but in a slower-paced game like Elder Scrolls where you'll be looking at the scenery very often, it would be much more noticable. I totally agree. In an Elder Scrolls game, jaggies kill the IQ, badly. We'll see how it turns out. Maybe there will be the option of using integer so we can use both AA and still use some of the fancy lighting.

faraday
07-23-05, 07:46 AM
What I find interesting in all this is how exactly they got a triple cored 3.2ghz PowerPC CPU when IBM couldn't even make a 3.0ghz G5 CPU for Macintosh, the alleged reason why Mac dropped the PowerPc architecture.

And when you , (Edge) said,

"A dual-core 2.4ghz PC processor is a hell of a long way from a triple-cored 3.2ghz PowerPC processor."

you meant that a 3x3.2ghz is much better than a 2x2.4ghz AMD, I supose so since all empiric knowledge would seem to indicate that, but nevertheless we should remember that sheer raw power means nothing against a well designed architecture.

Back on topic, those shots prolly are just beta shots so the lack of AA can be normal.

Banko
07-23-05, 10:25 AM
A dual-core 2.4ghz PC processor is a hell of a long way from a triple-cored 3.2ghz PowerPC processor.

Well I'd hope so, if a videocard comes out afterwords and costs twice as much as an entire console it BETTER be faster.

On topic, why are both the PC and Xbox360 shots the same resolution when 1024x576 isn't even a valid resolution for the Xbox360? And why is no anti-aliasing being used in the screenshots of either version, especially when Xbox360 games are required to have AA on them? Seems odd that they wouldn't show shots of the PC version with the highest AA quality possible for screenshots, unless they can't get AA working with bloom/HDR. Hope we won't be forced to decide between the two, a lack of AA with HDR was slightly annoying in Far Cry, but in a slower-paced game like Elder Scrolls where you'll be looking at the scenery very often, it would be much more noticable. Aren't the next generation of cards supposed to address this?
About the PPC thing how about it is kind of close, because well the PPC core didn't do that well in benchmarks against other CPU's (I'm talking Dual g5's vs single x86 cpu's) There is lots of reasons why Apple went Intel

MrSavoy
07-23-05, 11:10 AM
Can anyone point out a link as to where I can read the reviews of the best PC Dual core CPU's and single core ala FX 57 compared to the PPC triple core and the PS3's cell multicore proc. I would like to see some benchies if there are any of these going head to head.

Nitz Walsh
07-23-05, 11:30 AM
If the CPUs were actually comparable, you would have a point. Since they aren't, you don't.

Really - do you think IBM was holding back an extremely cheap, 3-core PPC chip that would wipe the floor with anything Intel/AMD had to offer, and just decided to release it for the 360? Please. It's a PPC variant, you cannot compare it to a G5 PPC or anything Intel/AMD have to offer, the lack of out-of-order execution is not a small ommision. With general-purpose code, which is by far the majority of the code out there today, a A64 X2 would just wipe the floor with the Xenon.

Developers will get more familiar to these CPU's over time and no doubt increase performance, but using such useless IGN/Gamepro metrics as "Kewl! 3*3 ghz is like, really fast" is just that - useless.

One thing is true though, is that there should be no jaggies on the Xbox version - 4X AA on the 360 is basically free regardless of the polygon count, so these were likely taken with development boxes. Remember as well the 360 was specced to 256 megs and was only upped to 512 a few months ago which could explain the less-detailed textures.

SH64
07-23-05, 04:13 PM

Hmm good points .. & yeah that fact the even the new gen graphics cards (namely the GF7 series) dosent support AA+HDR scares me esp after playing SC3@1600x1200 with HDR. i was noticing every jaggy in the screen even at that high res & it was annoying.
just imagine how many new games like Oblivion & SS2 will look when they play without AA for the sake of HDR or vise versa :|

SH64
07-23-05, 06:21 PM
More shots in this linky :
http://www.theelderscrolls.com/art/obliv_xbox360_screens_01.htm

killahsin
07-26-05, 02:26 AM
gamespy has a bunch of screenshots dated 7/25 here http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/702/702491/imgs_1.html

i believe they are the same as the ones sh64 just linked. Kinda funky on gamespy's part. Oh and i believe that a majority of good games with hdr will do aa in software. not sure about oblivion. Someone should send todd an email and ask =P

msxyz
07-26-05, 03:36 AM
If you look closely, also PC screenshots don't have AA. We know that HDR is in so it might be a situation similar to Far Cry.

Considering that I have a 15bit LCD monitor (close to 5 years old), I might decide to turn off HDR and trade HDR for AA. Anyway this would be a good question to post on the forums.

kev13dd
07-26-05, 04:41 AM
There is no AA in these shots most likely because of the lack of the ED-RAM on the developement kits. Most screenshots we have seen with the AA on beta kits are other taking a performance hit or are pre-rendered

K

killahsin
07-26-05, 06:11 AM
It was my understanding these screenshots were from the pc?

kev13dd
07-26-05, 06:13 AM
It was my understanding these screenshots were from the pc?

Might be. The first post pictures were from the X360 version, which is what I was reffering to

K

msxyz
07-26-05, 07:37 AM
Those in the Xbox section are taken from an Xbox dev kit. The rest are from early work in progress (like the knight with the sword facing the mountains still untextured) or from various raw screenshots distributed to the press

Tygerwoody
07-26-05, 09:17 AM

One thing i hate is an Xbox Fanboi. I'm getting an Xbox 360, but you are sadly sadly misinformed.

1. The "triple core 3.2 processor" to be nice.... isn't that good. It is compareable to a 2.0ghz P4. Nothing to shout about (it is good enough for it's own needs, thats it.)

2. Computers for gaming are for the "higher" class of gamers, therefore we pay more. Yes the Xbox360/PS3 will be good, but computer gamers will always enjoy the highest of quality in games(at least in terms of visuals). Saying "yea but you pay twice of much for a video card than the whole xbox system" is like complaining because the Stock wheels of a Ferrari cost more than your Honda Civic. They both get you from place to place, but man doesn't it feel alot better to drive a Ferrari? Look better? Able to go through turns alot better. Safer. Faster too.

3. I hate making 1 2 3 posts and trying to prove someone wrong, but you anoy me.

Subtestube
07-26-05, 04:32 PM
1. The "triple core 3.2 processor" to be nice.... isn't that good. It is compareable to a 2.0ghz P4. Nothing to shout about (it is good enough for it's own needs, thats it.)

You're overstating your case here. I've read quite a bit about that XBOX 360 CPU, and while you're quite right (it IS very special purpose) it would certainly eat a P4 2.0 alive. While I agree that 4800+ X2 would probably (and we can't possibly know that for a fact) beat it in general purpose applications, it's important to realise that for the XBOX360, it doesn't need to be general purpose, and in fact code will be specifically optimised to its idiosyncracies, in a way that doesn't occur for x86 based chips. I'd also be quite surprised if at the time of the console release, a high end PC is actually a better gaming rig than an XBOX 360. Of course, I would expect that to change rapidly, but even so....

In an entirely separate musing - does anyone find it ironic that now there are going to be PowerPC based gaming machines, Apple is moving over to x86? I mean, there's suddenly going to be more ease porting to the somewhat less standard Apple architecture, and its about to disappear. Ahh well, C'est la vie.

EDIT: Also bear in mind this a non standard PowerPC architecture - assuming Ars Technica is right, each core is NOT a full featured POWER5 core.