PDA

View Full Version : XFX 6800GT Dead... Due to drivers??

crainger
07-22-05, 11:51 PM
Well my almost 1 yr old 6800GT has packed it in. I had just installed the new 77.66 beta drivers and was experiencing some video/overlay playback problems (System freezing for every 1 sec for around 20 secs).
Anyway I had enough of the drivers and did the usually uninstall drivers, boot into safe mode and driver clean. However upon restarting to go and reinstall the 71.89 drivers. I noticed the nvivdia bios that flashes up briefly was all corrupted, the the POST screen was also corrupted. Basically it had died. :(
Windows refused to boot until I whacked in my sisters ex FX5500 256MB. System runs fine now, but I'm left to see what the guys at auspcmarket are gonna do. I'm assuming they will have XFX replace the card as its under a 2 year warranty.

Anyway does anyone think the new drivers may have damaged the card?? Maybe due to some glitch push the card way beyond its limits? More like one big coincidence.

Luckily I never overclocked the card, not that anyone could detect that, and the stock cooling remains in its place. So I'm hoping for as little down time as possible.

:)

kwynjunk
07-23-05, 12:05 AM
Well my almost 1 yr old 6800GT has packed it in. I had just installed the new 77.66 beta drivers and was experiencing some video/overlay playback problems (System freezing for every 1 sec for around 20 secs).
Anyway I had enough of the drivers and did the usually uninstall drivers, boot into safe mode and driver clean. However upon restarting to go and reinstall the 71.89 drivers. I noticed the nvivdia bios that flashes up briefly was all corrupted, the the POST screen was also corrupted. Basically it had died. :(
Windows refused to boot until I whacked in my sisters ex FX5500 256MB. System runs fine now, but I'm left to see what the guys at auspcmarket are gonna do. I'm assuming they will have XFX replace the card as its under a 2 year warranty.

Anyway does anyone think the new drivers may have damaged the card?? Maybe due to some glitch push the card way beyond its limits? More like one big coincidence.

Luckily I never overclocked the card, not that anyone could detect that, and the stock cooling remains in its place. So I'm hoping for as little down time as possible.

:)

The new drivers seem to be the only variable that changed so I would assume it had something to do with it. I wouldn't even mention that you installed Beta drivers when you ask for a refund though.

BTW, BFG guaruntees their cards for their lifetime...for future reference.

crainger
07-23-05, 12:25 AM
The new drivers seem to be the only variable that changed so I would assume it had something to do with it. I wouldn't even mention that you installed Beta drivers when you ask for a refund though.

BTW, BFG guaruntees their cards for their lifetime...for future reference.

Yeah, if I'm ever to get another card I'll go for a BFG for the warranty. Pity that when I bought my XFX, BFG hadn't entered the Australian market yet.

HOT1
07-23-05, 04:18 AM
Yeah, if I'm ever to get another card I'll go for a BFG for the warranty. Pity that when I bought my XFX, BFG hadn't entered the Australian market yet.
My GF3 did the same thing after 13 months [warranty 12 months] :thumbdwn: sold it as a dead card got $50 for it :D lucky I can right it of on TAX

crainger
07-23-05, 06:44 PM
My GF3 did the same thing after 13 months [warranty 12 months] :thumbdwn: sold it as a dead card got $50 for it :D lucky I can right it of on TAX

$50 for a dead card?? If I can't claim mine under warranty I'll prob try upping the voltage and seeing if that can stabilise the card.

Acid Rain
07-23-05, 08:09 PM
Just so everyone knows, I have installed the 77.76 drivers with great results on a BFG 6800GT, and the temp on the card is the same as always. Who knows what really happened to your card.

*edit* I've searched around and haven't found anyone else in any forums with the issue in question, on the new drivers.

That was you over at Rage3d, right? Besides those posts, nothing.

It must be a ridiculous coincidence, a terribly unlucky one at that.

Ruined
07-24-05, 01:02 AM
doubt it had anything to do with the drivers, prob. just a coincidence

PSYCHODAD
07-24-05, 01:22 AM
I'm using the 77.76 on two XFX 6800gt(pci-e) with no problems so far. Did notice that temps are showing a bit higher than with the previous drivers.(71.89)

Acid Rain
07-24-05, 04:38 AM
Father of Psychos, how much higher temps? You aren't talking of a 10c "temp bug" style increase, right? Mine stayed exactly the same.

Maybe your house is a bit warmer since you checked the temp with 71.89? I know it's hot as Hell over here right now. At least outside.

PSYCHODAD
07-24-05, 04:52 AM
Father of Psychos, how much higher temps? You aren't talking of a 10c "temp bug" style increase, right? Mine stayed exactly the same.

Maybe your house is a bit warmer since you checked the temp with 71.89? I know it's hot as Hell over here right now. At least outside.
Actually I checked the temps before installing the new betas. Idle temps went up about 5c with the 77.76.

House stays about 72 degrees.

BTW: It's hot outside here also. Supposed to be near 100* tomorrow.

Acid Rain
07-24-05, 05:22 AM
Hmm. Strange. Maybe a minor SLi "issue". Certainly not enough to kill a card. Again, I have not seen this reported (the dead card) at all, except in this thread, and in the other at Rage3d (same person, I believe. Haven't gone back to check though), and I ran through the entire (rather long) 77.76 thread at Guru3d.

crainger
07-25-05, 02:23 AM
Well my card is off back to XFX, in 4-8 weeks I should have a fixed/new card. I'm fairly sure it was one big coincidence. But you'll forgive me if I never try the 77.76 drivers. There will be new ones by the time I get mine back.

[AK]Zip
07-25-05, 04:32 AM
Well my card is off back to XFX, in 4-8 weeks I should have a fixed/new card. I'm fairly sure it was one big coincidence. But you'll forgive me if I never try the 77.76 drivers. There will be new ones by the time I get mine back.

4-8 weeks! thats 1-2 months!!! Thats just crazy. I am definatly sticking with BFG or EVGA cards for nVidia.

PSYCHODAD
07-25-05, 02:01 PM
Hmm. Strange. Maybe a minor SLi "issue". Certainly not enough to kill a card. Again, I have not seen this reported (the dead card) at all, except in this thread, and in the other at Rage3d (same person, I believe. Haven't gone back to check though), and I ran through the entire (rather long) 77.76 thread at Guru3d.
I think the temps are being reported incorrectly. At boot the cards show +20 cel. difference between ambient and core.

crainger
07-26-05, 03:48 AM
Zip']4-8 weeks! thats 1-2 months!!! Thats just crazy. I am definatly sticking with BFG or EVGA cards for nVidia.

I know, but few vid card makers have offices over here, so returns have to go back to the store, then back to the supplier then finally back to the manufacturer, which is usually in Taiwan. Then it has to make its way all the way back. I would experience a similar wait time with BFG and the like I'm sure.

subbo
07-27-05, 04:00 PM
Over here the retailer has to replace the faulty product within 14 days or give a complete refund, and usually gfx cards merely go to the importer who then sends a new one directly to the customer, not all the way to taiwan.

crainger
07-28-05, 09:54 AM
Over here the retailer has to replace the faulty product within 14 days or give a complete refund, and usually gfx cards merely go to the importer who then sends a new one directly to the customer, not all the way to taiwan.

Yeah, over here to get that kind of support, you have to go with Alienware or Dell. I'm thinking my card will only go as far as the importer before a replacement is sent from the update on the status I recieved via email not long ago.