PDA

View Full Version : Overheating 6800, don't know what to do

joesnizzle
07-23-05, 02:06 AM
I have an eVGA 6800 GT 256 MB card, it idles at around ohhhhhh, 80 Celsius, and under load gets right up to 120 Celsius. Needless to say, it overheats, and my computers shuts off.

Now, I have six case fans, two intakes in front. One intake on the side, one outtake on the top, and two outtakes on the back. This card NEVER used to get this hot, even during the summer like it is now.

I don't understand what's changed. The room temperature around here is probably around 80 Fahrenheit....

Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully? :)

Doesn't seem to matter what drivers I use, it still gets hot

crainger
07-23-05, 02:12 AM
Are you using the stock HSF?? Perhaps is has come loose or needs some new thermal paste. But 80 Celsius at idle... Thats HUGE!

You haven't installed the 77.7666 ;) drivers have you. Coz I'm sure they are the ones that nuked my card.

joesnizzle
07-23-05, 02:16 AM
Yeah, stock everything on the video card

And, I did install those drivers, all of the sudden now, my computer won't even boot anymore :( I am sad.....

jAkUp
07-23-05, 02:36 AM
Take off the heatsink, scrape off the paste that is there, and apply some AS5, make sure the heatsink is making full contact, and installed properly.

anzak
07-23-05, 02:53 AM
Either do what jakUp said or RMA the thing.

j0j081
07-23-05, 03:04 AM
Are you using the stock HSF?? Perhaps is has come loose or needs some new thermal paste. But 80 Celsius at idle... Thats HUGE!

You haven't installed the 77.7666 ;) drivers have you. Coz I'm sure they are the ones that nuked my card.
what do you mean they nuked your card? what happened?

gram_vaz
07-23-05, 03:45 AM
supposedly there is a nvidia driver that for some people that does something to the card... there was a huge thread about it at guru3d with people saying a particular driver fried their card. i say it's just coincidence that the card died with a certain driver. it's really difficult to damage hardware through software...

any enthusiast that tweaks their pc beyond stock settings in hardware or software or oc's hardware shouldn't really complain when something in the pc goes fubar imo.

crainger
07-23-05, 04:38 AM
supposedly there is a nvidia driver that for some people that does something to the card... there was a huge thread about it at guru3d with people saying a particular driver fried their card. i say it's just coincidence that the card died with a certain driver. it's really difficult to damage hardware through software...

any enthusiast that tweaks their pc beyond stock settings in hardware or software or oc's hardware shouldn't really complain when something in the pc goes fubar imo.

Yeah I'm thinking its coincidence too... But what if its not.

Basically with my card once I installed the 77.76 driver the card began to act strangely (stuttering anytime a video/overlay was displayed) then like joesnizzle's card. refused to boot properly. I didn't even get time to look at my temps.

HOT1
07-23-05, 05:04 AM
I have an eVGA 6800 GT 256 MB card, it idles at around ohhhhhh, 80 Celsius, and under load gets right up to 120 Celsius. Needless to say, it overheats, and my computers shuts off.

Now, I have six case fans, two intakes in front. One intake on the side, one outtake on the top, and two outtakes on the back. This card NEVER used to get this hot, even during the summer like it is now.

I don't understand what's changed. The room temperature around here is probably around 80 Fahrenheit....

Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully? :)

Doesn't seem to matter what drivers I use, it still gets hot
Is the heat sink full of DUST have a look and give it a clean ,are u using filters on your intake fans?