PDA

View Full Version : DSL vs Cable in Gaming

Pages : [1] 2

Viventis
07-23-05, 11:12 AM
Since its inception, I have been a high speed cable subscriber (I beta tested in my town before it was generally available). I went through the increases in listed downstream speed fom 0.5 to 3.0. However, tv cable quality in my neighborhood is not all that great (lots of cut/repair lines over time). The cable guy is to arrive any minute to see what can be done.

Cable internet generally works ok but it is sometimes spotty in games. I will get a wide variety of pings, even during a single online session. I will time out of BF2 about 1x/hour.

I can get DSL at 1.5 downstream for about the same money. I was wondering if the consistency of DSL will more than make up for the faster but inconsistent pings in games. DSL gamers check in!!!

ST:DS9
07-23-05, 11:17 AM
well, for you it sounds like DSL would be better, sounds like your cable company is having problems. For me cable internet has been 20x better then DSL, my pings are always really low and my speeds always stay consistent.

Nitz Walsh
07-23-05, 11:20 AM
It's extremely difficult for anyone to answer that who isn't in your immediate area. Both cable and DSL quality can vary significantly per region with regards to the provider, latency, upload rate, distance from the central office (well, in DSL at least).

All I can say is that at least for metro Toronto, I've had exposure to 3 cable hookups (myself, parents and friend) and 2 DSL. DSL wins by a large amount in terms of consistency of speed, but especially upload speed which can be a factor in online gaming. I'll likely be ditching my Rogers cable for Sympatico DSL when I move soon.

|MaguS|
07-23-05, 11:21 AM
Before you got DSL make sure how far away from the datacenter you are, if your over 1000', I wouldn't recommened it. I had DSL before moving to Orlando and was 250' away and it was awsome. Once I moved Cable became the superior.

oldsk00l
07-23-05, 11:31 AM
Right,

I'm in the situation mentioned above, I'm within 1000' of the CO. My latencies are awesome.

I have yet to see a cable connection that has as good of or better latency than I have right now.

However, go up about 1000' up the street and it starts to suck pretty bad. A friend of mine gave up trying to run a gameserver because his latency was so bad.

PeterJensen
07-23-05, 11:42 AM
Damn your internet infastructure must sucks big time in the US. Here in Denmark i have 4mbit/786kbps ADSL and i live 3.5 km from the "datacenter / central". And i have the option of going 8mbit. Also i have about 10-20 ms ping for all Danish servers in counter-strike and BF2. For Norway/Sweeden/Germany and the UK its about 30-50 ms. Downloads are about 420 KB/sec.

Gnu_Raiz
07-23-05, 11:49 AM
Yeah in the USA the cable companies own's you, lots of people do not have the choice to switch to something else. Here its common to have cable over subscribe an area, so everyone in that area sucks, they also do not provide the bandwidth at peak times.

All this is due to the cheap companies not wanting to put the money in upgrading the infastructure. In my area the phone company has a monopoly, will not give anyone a dsl line without a phone line, or you have to bundle everything together.

I ended up getting a cell phone and using cable, just to save 50 -60 dollars a month on my phone bill. Everyone was calling my cell anyway, since I had cable tv it was smarter to just use them instead.

Gnu_Raiz

Viventis
07-23-05, 12:07 PM
<"Before you got DSL make sure how far away from the datacenter you are, if your over 1000', I wouldn't recommened it.">

I am a full 8 miles out of town but the phone company said that they have repeater stations along the way. Does this sound right? They supposedly "checked" my exact location and said that I would get the full 1.5 downstream speed. I can get 3.0 but it is a lot more expensive than cable. They said I could get out of the contract free in the first 30 days.

Cable guy is late. I'm not surprised.

|MaguS|
07-23-05, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't go for it... Cable can be far superior if the area you live in doesn't have too many bandwidth hogs.

ST:DS9
07-23-05, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't go for it... Cable can be far superior if the area you live in doesn't have too many bandwidth hogs.

Thats what I like abou my cable company, when ever the company see's there is alot of congestion going on, they make nessary changes to the cable system to get rid of that congestion. So bandwidth hogs are only a nuisance for a short time (1 week tops).

Seph gPu
07-23-05, 12:26 PM
I had both. Cable was fast, but went down alot. DSL has been running like a champ, it's gone down like 3 times in 2 years vs. the cable going down like 3 times a week.

DSL is quickly becoming as fast as Cable, I found my DSL connection to also have better pings in games.

And I can't complain with my provider, every year I sign a new year long contract with them, and they keep my price @ $39.99 -BUT, they also bump my speed up for free. (for signing with them another year)

I started at 80kb/s, now i'm at 3mbit (312kb/s) all at the same price. Can't complain.

I defintately prefer my DSL. (And I'm 3 miles away from a datacenter, yet they said I can do 8mbit no problem....the only problem with 8mbit for me is the cost..lol)

nVestor
07-23-05, 12:41 PM
The advantage to cable can be the amount of bandwidth vs. upload speed. :) If you have a 768kbp/s up on DSL vs. 385kbp/s Cable, the advantage may come in for Cable by allowing the ability to upload 10 files at a time at that rate vs. 1 or 2 for DSL. :)

It all depends on your needs. :cool:

Rakeesh
07-23-05, 01:33 PM
Note that most DSL providers (especially qwest) use a technique called interleaving to give better data integrity for your modem. However, this is a very bad thing for gaming. Interleaving adds latency in both directions to all internet traffic on your modem. On all qwest lines (even if your ISP isn't qwest, but rather qwest is just the local bell,) the latency to your very first hop is 32ms. That means in most games, it is likely that 80ms will be the lowest latency you'll ever see, and you'll probably average 100ms or above.

Cable on the other hand can easily have only 7ms or less to the first hop.

At work I have DSL, and at home I have cable. Check out my l33t first hop on DSL:

1 ms 2 ms 1 ms dslmodem.domain.actdsltmp [192.168.0.1]
54 ms 49 ms 49 ms phnx-dsl-gw06-198.phnx.qwest.net [67.40.227.198]

oldsk00l
07-23-05, 02:03 PM
Damn your internet infastructure must sucks big time in the US. Here in Denmark i have 4mbit/786kbps ADSL and i live 3.5 km from the "datacenter / central". And i have the option of going 8mbit. Also i have about 10-20 ms ping for all Danish servers in counter-strike and BF2. For Norway/Sweeden/Germany and the UK its about 30-50 ms. Downloads are about 420 KB/sec.

your mileage varies community to community in the US.

In one area of Denver a guy I know lives about 6 miles from the CO, he's able to get 1.2mbps on his line with no repeater.

Meanwhile, travel about 20 miles north of him and it's all garbage. Just depends on how old the house is, how old the line itself is (not age degraded, but quality of wiring when installed).

oldsk00l
07-23-05, 02:07 PM
Note that most DSL providers (especially qwest) use a technique called interleaving to give better data integrity for your modem. However, this is a very bad thing for gaming. Interleaving adds latency in both directions to all internet traffic on your modem. On all qwest lines (even if your ISP isn't qwest, but rather qwest is just the local bell,) the latency to your very first hop is 32ms. That means in most games, it is likely that 80ms will be the lowest latency you'll ever see, and you'll probably average 100ms or above.

At work I have DSL, and at home I have cable. Check out my l33t first hop on DSL:

From my PC (behind a router, behind a modem) to my ISP's pipe it's about 13ms. From my PC to google I get around 35ms, from my PC to kernel.org it's about 30.

Generally people can get 35-40 connecting to my server if they have a good connection. Some people get 100 and bitch about it but I know it's not my pipe.

retsam
07-23-05, 02:14 PM

At work I have DSL, and at home I have cable. Check out my l33t first hop on DSL: remember alpha they do have a choice when it comes to setting the dsl path ....there is interleave... witch adds latency but gives better distance from the CO... and there is something called fast path witch gives great latency but all to often takes away distance to the CO

BigWilly
07-23-05, 11:46 PM
I've been on 3 Mbps cable for two years now and it has been up and down, at first I saw about 5 Mbps speed after testing the connection on various on broadband testing sites which was great. That didn't last for long however. In those two years I've been without service more times then I can count. It's usually back up within hours, but I'm online alot and it pisses me off when I can't play and that's not to mention the damn ridiculous price I'm paying. The local phone company is now offering 6 Mbps Up and 864 Down and I'm ready to make the switch. So bye bye cable, you couldn't pay me to come back! Anyone who says cable is better than DSL is a damn lier. Cable is a shared signal, DSL is not.

killahsin
07-24-05, 01:22 AM

I live in the middle of the smokey mountains lol. Much farther then 5 miles from the co. Repeater stations work very well(at least in my area). Pings generally 30-80 in all east/central and even some west coast servers.

Rakeesh
07-24-05, 01:40 AM
remember alpha they do have a choice when it comes to setting the dsl path ....there is interleave... witch adds latency but gives better distance from the CO... and there is something called fast path witch gives great latency but all to often takes away distance to the CO

Who do you mean by "they"? It certainly isn't the customers, as they are forced with the 32ms latency. There is absolutely no way around it.

retsam
07-24-05, 04:10 AM
Who do you mean by "they"? It certainly isn't the customers, as they are forced with the 32ms latency. There is absolutely no way around it. actually most people dont realize that most providers will put you on interleave.... you can call up your provider and have your dsl line switched if you meet the providers requirments. so in essence, yes dsl subscribers do have a choice... ive had at least 8 dsl lines (customer lines) switched from interleave path to fast path in the last few years...

FortranDragon
07-24-05, 03:21 PM
Anyone who says cable is better than DSL is a damn lier. Cable is a shared signal, DSL is not.

The Internet is a shared signal. ;-) Once your DSL signal hits the main office it goes back to being a shared signal.

Marcos
07-26-05, 10:19 AM
i have dsl my friend has cable my max is 400/s his is 600/s. Only ping I can compare is WoW i get about 80ms normally, he gets around 8ms

JeRi
07-26-05, 11:13 AM
I've been lucky enough to have Cable for many years now. Optimum Online is about as good as it gets as far as speed and consistency, at least in my area (Central New Jersey). Nothin beats having over 1MB/s download capability and 115kb/s upload when it comes to gaming and downloading. Just recently had to trash a Linksys router that was clogging up the network we have in my house, but now my speeds are flying back to normal. Sucks that we'll only be in this house for a couple more months, because we're moving south of here where OOL isn't available.

nVidi0t
07-26-05, 06:41 PM
For blazing DSL speeds, you gotta be near the CO. I can see mine from my window and DSL pwns Cable for gaming.

killahsin
07-26-05, 08:21 PM
my buddy in long island had optimum online man, he could send me files blazing fast. I had roadrunner and i was in boston. Our pingage was relatively the same but his upload was insane. Now in tenn(smoke mountains) my pings are very similiar to what i had up north minus the 20 ms servers due to the fact im in the middle of nowhere lol. But my speeds are insane. I do miss those 20 ms boston/nyc/maine servers. But that doesn't stop me from having fun.