PDA

View Full Version : Overclockers.... What's the point of overclocking when...

Pages : [1] 2

07-23-05, 01:37 PM
What is the point in overclocking and all of the problems that can come from it when you can already play all of the current games maxed out and perfect with the factory settings of cards like the 6800 and 7800. I have never figured this out. :inform:

Demigod
07-23-05, 01:45 PM
Because I can do it? To see how far I can push my system. Some push it to breaking point others(like me) do it see how far we can push our system and keep it 100% stable.

There is always the possibility to get higher fps. Yes I can play (almost) eyerything at the max in game settings at 1600/1200. But I can now play with super samples aa. This still knocks frame rates. But if I overclcok I can up the aa even more.

Most of the time I have my system at stock. But I can and do run it overclocked when I feel like it.

anzak
07-23-05, 01:53 PM
Because it gives better performance for free. I'm getting the performance of a 6800 Ultra and Athlon 3200+ without paying the high price. Many people overclock for bragging rights or for the challenge of it.

Mudcrutch
07-23-05, 01:58 PM
i think its great to be able to tweak what ya got. although i also think most people arent very smart about it... things dont work correctly and they come whining:

"OMG I HAVE FLASHING TEXTURES IN HL2 AND DOOM MY SPECS ARE ATHLON 5000 OCed TO 6000+ SPEEDS AND 7800GTX OCed by 500mhz WHAT DO I DO??!?!!?"

PikachuMan
07-23-05, 02:05 PM
you can already play all of the current games maxed out and perfect with the factory settings of cards like the 6800

That's not true. These video cards are fast, but they still have limitations.

Zurble
07-23-05, 02:28 PM
you can always find reasons
- because i have a 4100+ for the price of a 3000+ :)
- because fast will never be fast enought
- u can do 1600 4xAA 16xAF in today games (possible with SLI) but what about tomorows games ?
- one day or another your system won't be fast anymore, it's a way to push that day further away...
- having tomorow specs today

i do it to better know my machine :)

Lfctony
07-23-05, 02:45 PM
Free performance, more value for your money. Though I've stopped overclocking my video card since my FX5800, some people like to squeeze every last bit of speed out of their system.

Zerocool
07-23-05, 03:00 PM
I'll start OCin my gear when it starts chuggin and I'm bout ready for a new system, just to make it go a little longer. I think you should OC when your gear when it cant cope anymore, then when it cant cope OCed, new gear time. Maximize what you got till the death.

Zurble
07-23-05, 03:01 PM
some people like to squeeze every last bit of speed out of their system.

especialy when you get 50% more performance with default cooling/settings 1800Mhz->2650Mhz

i just had to up 1 notch voltage when adding my second 7800.

and when u know that 7800 do 430/1200->480/1300 without effort...er....i couldn't stay default.

gram_vaz
07-23-05, 05:31 PM
despite what some claim the performance improvement from oc'ing is worth it. sure it'll only give you about 5-9fps increase but if your game chugs down to 25fps that extra 5fps is a lifesaver.

noicant
07-23-05, 05:36 PM
I know some people who were overclocking to get the most out of doom3 when it came out. One guy for example refused to play it without 4x fullscreen aa at least, and when even overclocking wouldn't work he put the box away and said he'd play it after christmas (when he got a new card)

Fortunately I got a 6800 when the game came out just so I could play it (before that I was still using a geforce2 - PCI!)

Vagrant Zero
07-23-05, 06:07 PM
What is the point in overclocking and all of the problems that can come from it when you can already play all of the current games maxed out and perfect with the factory settings of cards like the 6800 and 7800. I have never figured this out. :inform:

It's the only way I can get it up at night.

$n][pErMan
07-23-05, 06:11 PM
Its like crack.... once you start you cant stop. You wanna see how far you can go and still stay stable. Its fun... you get more out of your system for very little cost if your smart and dont fry your stuff. :D Don't knock it till you try and it succeed at it ;)

betterdan
07-23-05, 06:26 PM
Why do people buy fast cars when the speed limit doesn't go over 65 on the highways?

Zurble
07-23-05, 07:23 PM
Why do people buy fast cars when the speed limit doesn't go over 65 on the highways?

no speed limit in games.....er...nevermind.....i forgot doom3

Wolfhound
07-24-05, 02:20 PM
Hummm.......... fun? ...... pushing the limits of your machine to the fullest and show your friends you can do it and heīs a moron because he canīt?, it depends...... I do it for fun ;) letīs say curiosity then do some testing 1 week or so and return to default values.

Riptide
07-24-05, 02:23 PM
I gave up on it a while ago. In my experience it has the potential to damage hardware even if it may seem just fine at first. Not to mention good overclocking chips aren't as easy to come by as some like to say. Plus it takes hours and hours of stability testing and you typically are only going to get at best 10% or so more performance out of it without going to extremes for cooling.

CaptNKILL
07-24-05, 03:14 PM
No one can play all current games maxed out with a 6800 or a 7800 (even SLI) with perfect frame rates all the time. Maxed out would be the highest resolution you can go, with the most AA and the most AF with the highest graphics settings. I dont see many people playing BF2 at 2048x1536 with the highest quality SLI AA and 16xAF, and if they are, they arent getting 80fps constant.

Anyone who says people can do this has no idea what they are talking about. Simple as that.

DoomUK
07-24-05, 03:30 PM
Overclocking is a hobby :clap: :beer:. Parrotting what's been said above, it's about pushing one's comp to the (stable) limit, to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your setup to get, ideally, maximum performance in the latest gen of games without upgrading.

keith33
07-24-05, 04:09 PM
I do it because in my country it's not illegal and we fought for freedom to overclock damnit! :p

toxikneedle
07-24-05, 04:13 PM
What problems are you exactly talking about? I think there is this general misconception that overclocking is some extremely deadly dangerous thing... for video cards this is nothing, your biggest enemy is artifacts... not like your card is gonna melt and burn ur house down.

Riptide
07-24-05, 05:07 PM
Dude yes it can damage a video card and the effects aren't immediately apparent. I've seen it happen first hand. It took months but eventually the card stopped being stable at the overclocked speeds - put it back to stock and it worked OK. It wouldn't overlock any longer though. So obviously it did something to it.

CaptNKILL
07-24-05, 07:29 PM
Dude yes it can damage a video card and the effects aren't immediately apparent. I've seen it happen first hand. It took months but eventually the card stopped being stable at the overclocked speeds - put it back to stock and it worked OK. It wouldn't overlock any longer though. So obviously it did something to it.
I had this happen too but it turned out that the heatsink on my 6800GT was just clogged with dust. I cleaned it out and its overclocked better ever since.

So it sort of works both ways. It could damage the card, or it could actually "burn it in" so that it can overclock more and remain stable... same happened with my CPU. Prime 95 wouldnt pass for 1 minute at 2.2Ghz. I left it at 2.5-2.6 for a month and now it will run prime95 for 3 hours without a hitch at 2.5.

Ive had 1 piece of hardware straight out die on me and that was an EVGA Ti4400 (which were plagued with problems from what ive heard). Ive overclocked pretty much all of my hardware that would allow it since about 1998 and I've only ever lost that card. Probably just good luck, but if those are my odds then overclocking is deffinitely worth it. Hell, right now with my CPU and video card overclocked, Ive got as much power as a system that costs $500 more than mine did.

Obviously not everyone is going to have a perfect, problem free overclocking experience every time, but it looks like the majority of people have good luck with it, so I think everyone should give it a try if they want more performance for their money.

NvGod
07-24-05, 07:39 PM
What problems are you exactly talking about? I think there is this general misconception that overclocking is some extremely deadly dangerous thing... for video cards this is nothing, your biggest enemy is artifacts... not like your card is gonna melt and burn ur house down.

Do a search for the infamous 1.4 volt mod for the 6800GT, I've seen many cases where the card just died after a while (weeks or months) even when temps were in reasonable levels.

jAkUp
07-24-05, 07:55 PM
Overclocking can and will shorten the life of your card. With that being said, I overclock. But I don't need my hardware to last for 3+ years. I have been overclocking for years and sure I have decreased the lifespan of some of my stuff, but frankly, I don't really care because I will replace the stuff before I ever see it go out.

And plus, if something were to go out... well, well, what a great excuse for a nice upgrade ;)