PDA

View Full Version : Where's the beef?

oldsk00l
07-23-05, 05:53 PM
I am so SICK and tired of people looking at renders like killzone 2, or the chrome hound, or any next gen game and going "WoWZ3rZ! Th0s3 GR@ph1CS are t3h RoxX0rz OMFGZ and teh Gr@PH1CS ROCK OMGZ t3H GRAPHICS!!!!!@!! YUO FAGG0RTZ who Luv t3h 360 are gunna be PWNZERZ3RZ3dRZ!!!!!!"

When, in reality, when we saw the battletech previews for xbox we drooled, and did the same thing...but when we actually went to play it the mechs just danced like featherweights and popped off a few tinny shots and down the mech goes in a semi-cool explosion.

Where are the bullets that ricochet off the armor? Where is the dramatic knock backwards the mech does when taking the inertial impact of a huge rocket plus the explosion? Where's the leaning they have when half the armor from one side is gone and the weight is uneven?

It's not just mech games either. Why is it that your character in Dead to Rights has skin cells made of a superior titanium alloy yet the "bad guys" have skin cells composed of warm butter? Why is it, that it's only in SoF1 where you shoot a guy with a shotgun into the gut and intestines hang out?

Anyone gone pheasant hunting? Ever just go into a canyon and fire off a 12 gauge, and hear the vast huge "BOOOOOM" thunderous crackle as the blast echoes from the canyon walls? Why is it that we could have had a great concatenation of awesome gaming "extras" that really add depth to the experience for years, but game devs are all after the stupid "WoWZ3rZ! Th0s3 GR@ph1CS are t3h RoxX0rz OMFGZ and teh Gr@PH1CS ROCK OMGZ t3H GRAPHICS!!!!!@!! YUO FAGG0RTZ who Luv t3h 360 are gunna be PWNZERZ3RZ3dRZ!!!!!!" comments?

Great, so Killzone2 might halfway look as good as it did in the trailer, but how's it going to play? Serious. Are you going to walk away with your shoulders sore from each kick the machine gun gives from the game, or just walk away and kinda go "hmm, that level sucked".

Something tells me the latter.

You know what else bother me? All the idiots that gobble this garbage up. Something truly innovative for its time like Battlezone comes out, and no one buys it. Great "gaming community" we have, a bunch of mindless drones told what to buy and what to enjoy.

That's why I get so much into Linux, OSX, and "non-gaming" stuff. Because gaming anymore, sucks.

For every halflife2 highway driving experience, there are about 10000000000000000000 really stupid zombies coming out of closets, keys to find, to find a door, to find the key to the next door, to get to the obligatory boss at the end of the episode, to in some cases get a terrible cliffhanger (read, cliffhanger/motivator to buy next in series, just like the arcade owner from Wayne's World "HAHAHAHA, they just keep plopping in quarters waiting for the payoff, and it's not there!! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!") ending.

bah

whatever

Mr. Hunt
07-23-05, 06:09 PM
I think you are taking things a bit too seriously... you need some medication.

PSYCHODAD
07-23-05, 06:50 PM
I think you are taking things a bit too seriously... you need some medication.
hmmm....Was thinking the same thing.

Bad_Boy
07-23-05, 07:08 PM
somebody needs to get laid.

but in all "serious-ness", i do think your maybe making it bigger than it is. why get pissed when somebody sees something they like that may or may not be real. their loss right? its just games bro.

but really, tell us....

"WoWZ3rZ! Th0s3 GR@ph1CS are t3h RoxX0rz OMFGZ and teh Gr@PH1CS ROCK OMGZ t3H GRAPHICS!!!!!@!! YUO FAGG0RTZ who Luv t3h 360 are gunna be PWNZERZ3RZ3dRZ!!!!!!"
how long did it take you to type that. :angel:

S.I.N
07-23-05, 08:49 PM
:confused: The fact you sat and typed that shows something is wrong with you. I just hope your parents are keeping an eye on you because you sound like the type that would take a gun to your school and show grievance and frustrations by trying to kill everyone you have ever had a beef with. That to me is worse than someone that types crap like this..."WoWZ3rZ! Th0s3 GR@ph1CS are t3h RoxX0rz OMFGZ and teh Gr@PH1CS ROCK OMGZ t3H GRAPHICS!!!!!@!! YUO FAGG0RTZ who Luv t3h 360 are gunna be PWNZERZ3RZ3dRZ!!!!!!"

oldsk00l
07-24-05, 12:22 AM
then I guess some people just love to be lead around like a herd of sheep waiting to be sheared.

Enjoy the next crap sequel, garbage tinny blast-fest, and obligatory tried and true formulas that we've been fed lately. This whole "gaming" thing following those same formulas reached critical mass for "jaded gamer" for me.

Screw all of it, altogether.

Bad_Boy
07-24-05, 01:41 AM
hmm....something your not telling us, oldsk00l?

six_storm
07-24-05, 01:50 AM
I can see where you say that all video games are very similar in their formula or format. Also, I can see your comment on the "OMG r0xx0rs graph1cs!!". That's just life bro, people are just like that. I've always wanted to vent my frustration on the different types of customers at Blockbuster but I just don't need to lol.

But here's a lil taste since we are in the mood for venting (sorry for stealing your spotlight bro):

VHS vs DVD
This is one "problem" that is thankfully soon going to be solved once and for all. I have the occasional person to come ask for a new release movie (Hide and Seek i.e.) and they ask "Do you have this on VHS?". When I tell them no, we didn't order any, they have a fit because now they are going to have to shell out $30 or a lil more on a DVD player. So you know what I tell those people now? "Yeah, everyone is going to quit making VHS by the end of this year. You might as well head over to WalMart and pick you up a DVD player for cheap. Get use to the change sir." Does anyone agree with me?

Full Screen vs WideScreen
OMG, this has to be the worst complaint I get. "Why do they have to have this widescreen crap? Why can't they just make em for regular ol TVs?" I wish so bad everyone's "regular ol TVs" would go boom and then they would have to buy new WIDESCREEN TVs!!! Now I tell people "That's new technology for ya. By the time you buy a new TV in the future, you won't find a TV without it being in Widescreen format. You might as well get used to it sir."

I could go on with other complaints but I'm tired and need to sleep. Later and once again, sorry for stealing your thread oldsk00l. I'm right here with ya bro! :D

rasseru
07-24-05, 05:34 AM
i agree totally.

its basically the world we live in that needs to change.. im also tired of being really really into gaming in a big way since i was little, and recently having it totally not deliver at all..

here is my pet hate:

take WOW or EQ.. the amount of money made by those games must be unreal.. so why arent there about a gazillion different ways to customize your toon and things to do and things to wear which actually look good (which is what a lot of people want to do - roleplay) and why the heck do we have to put up with rubbish items for ages and grind and grind to get any hope of getting anything good? they could give everyone good stuff in the beginning and better stuff later but noooo.. its just rubbish stuff unless you grind for ages, which has a detrimental effect on the social climate in the games i think. and before you answer well its because they want lots of money.. i am prefectly aware of this..

:thumbdwn: how much money do they want before we can have a perfect roleplay experience lots of us have wanted for a long time?? :thumbdwn:

it really got on my nerves that i play for ages in WOW.. get a new staff - and it looks the same as the old one o.O which is rubbish anyway.. how hard can it be to make some decent looking gear?? this is why i like doing my own stuff sometimes.. at least you can do something you like.. i just cant program at all, so no wonder im frustrated. :o

and, wait i just thought of my main hate:

how good would it be if every games company got together and combined technology, shared ideas, shared innovations with the intent of getting the very best in games for everyone. well, no. you cant.. cause everybody is in damn competition, money money money..

capitalism.. i think it is a bit of a bottleneck tbh.. (and thats for the other forum apparently so ill stop there)

oh, and i found you some beef m8 - the national cattlemen's beef association - http://www.beef.org/ for further information.. it wasnt that hard, google is your friend :p

slick
07-24-05, 11:01 AM
i agree totally.

its basically the world we live in that needs to change.. im also tired of being really really into gaming in a big way since i was little, and recently having it totally not deliver at all..

here is my pet hate:

take WOW or EQ.. the amount of money made by those games must be unreal.. so why arent there about a gazillion different ways to customize your toon and things to do and things to wear which actually look good (which is what a lot of people want to do - roleplay) and why the heck do we have to put up with rubbish items for ages and grind and grind to get any hope of getting anything good? they could give everyone good stuff in the beginning and better stuff later but noooo.. its just rubbish stuff unless you grind for ages, which has a detrimental effect on the social climate in the games i think. and before you answer well its because they want lots of money.. i am prefectly aware of this..

I, sir, have the answer for you, in a simple 9 step process, you will be on your way to playing the best MMORPG ever, on the best UO shard ever made, with every that that you want listed there, included at no cost.

1. Download UO. (http://gamedaily.com/gp/dlexe.asp?packageid=0054000025&gameid=%202008&source=00001&sourcelist=&cid=)
2. Goto www.runuo.com
3. Download Razor. (http://www.runuo.com/downloads/index.php?action=category&id=1)
4. Install UO.
5. Patch UO.
6. Install Razor
7. Run Razor.
8. Choose "UOGamers: Hybrid"
9. Enjoy the best MMORPG ever made (No seriously, and I've played many, including WOW)

Knot3D
07-24-05, 11:08 AM
it's really too early to judge any non existent next gen game or console now based on this premature preview footage. I mean, development has only just started.

oldsk00l
07-24-05, 11:25 PM
it's really too early to judge any non existent next gen game or console now based on this premature preview footage. I mean, development has only just started.

With history as our teacher, I know for a fact and without a shadow of doubt that all these games we're seeing are going to be huge letdowns.

The 360 is going to suck for about 2 years, until by some sliver of chance some small studio does something really cool and gets us a new formula.

The hype, that the 360 or the PS3 will be having us "playing in their worlds" captivated, will all turn out to be a farce. When you load up GoW, you'll be dazzled for about 20 minutes and then it'll just be another rocket launcher, another monster, another boss, another key, another batch of filler content, another crap ending.

GamerGuyX
07-24-05, 11:43 PM
With history as our teacher, I know for a fact and without a shadow of doubt that all these games we're seeing are going to be huge letdowns.

Wait a minute if thats true, then how come the console launches for Xbox , Gamecube, and PS2 didn't let me down? :confused:

oldsk00l
07-25-05, 12:09 AM
Wait a minute if thats true, then how come the console launches for Xbox , Gamecube, and PS2 didn't let me down? :confused:

good for you, please pass through to the next gate for shearing, that's a good sheep.......

Bad_Boy
07-25-05, 01:53 AM
i guess im a sheep too.

god forgive me for liking games. (whine)

rasseru
07-25-05, 02:48 AM
@slick - i can try it, i guess.. but the thing is, i dont want to play a standard rpg.. i have done this.. thats my point. even if UO is a great rpg, im betting its still fairly standard in its play. i dont want to start at the beginning anymore in games - im sick of it lol. why cant we start at the end and then go from there? let the writers give us a better story than before.. with out the same grind up, learn skills etc etc.. and i want abstract styling.. and on both of these UO still looks firmly within the box im afraid.. but i can try it i guess.. :shrug:

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 02:49 AM
Im a sheep aswell, I guess...

I own all the current generation consoles and am really not disappointed at all. There are many great games for all the consoles. I have owned all three since there launch and can say im glad I purchased them.

oldsk00l, You sound like your just fustrated with gaming... Maybe you need to try other genre's? Most of what you mentioned sounded like FPS, why not try some innovated titles like Katamari Damacy or just some instant classics like ICO? Just because you dislike the path the gaming community has taken, don't talk down other people for having an interest in the future of gaming. Honestly everything uses hype to build interest, even in the realworld. If you don't like it well then too bad...

-=DVS=-
07-25-05, 02:49 AM
I miss SOF 1 & Red Faction, todays games are so bland and unrealistic.... only good looking , example BF2 :thumbdwn: got old realy quick.
F.E.A.R got lotsa gore and destructive environment, hopefully will be good :D
P.S talking about FPS , MMORPG arn't better either just cash farming.... and we realy short on single player RPG games.

oldsk00l
07-25-05, 11:35 AM
It's not that I "hate videogames". My big problem is that when a developer talks a TON of smack, or the manufacturer makes promises that the software people can't keep it just denigrates the business.

Sidric
08-04-05, 09:58 PM
i guess im a sheep too.

god forgive me for liking games. (whine)

QFT :rolleyes:

old, if you don't like the direction gaming is going, then why don't you take up the helm and try getting involved with it? i.e. game tester, programmer, writer, or even a designer. I'd personally love to get more involved with the industry, but my career and my future plans(getting an education first, being one of them) don't permit it.

diabolita23
08-08-05, 04:29 PM
I like games. Games are good. Baaaah.

diabolita23
08-09-05, 04:54 PM
It's not that I "hate videogames". My big problem is that when a developer talks a TON of smack, or the manufacturer makes promises that the software people can't keep it just denigrates the business.

What you really hate is marketing then. I'm sure there are other areas of your life that are controlled by marketing where you don't have enough expertise to see through the crap and suck it in and take it on as your own. We're all sheep in some way.