PDA

View Full Version : Attention 7800 GTX owners. Have you replaced your stock cooler yet?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ozziegn
07-23-05, 09:55 PM
Well, after not having my BFG 7800 GTX for 24 hours yet, I went ahead and took the darn thing apart and I replaced it with a Zalman VF-700 cooler. everything bolted on just fine and my idle temps went from the 51C area to the 39C area. load temps went from the 84C area to the 61C area. needless to say that it was well worth the money and the effort. the card chugs right along quite nicely at 501/1400 with no troubles or worries.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ozziegn1/7800gtx1.jpg

Addy
07-23-05, 11:05 PM
Yeah I put my Zalman on as well. My card was 57/85 seemed a bit high from what others have been posting. Not dangerously high but was bugging me so I took off the stock cooler and reapplied paste to the gpu with the same results. So put the Zalman on and am at 43/68 now, great cooler.

Eltigre88
07-23-05, 11:55 PM
I thought there was an issue with the fan hook-ups? Where the stock fan is a 4 pin and the after market is a 2 pin? I have read that the 4 pin is used to monitor fan output to regulate the fan speed. Any problems for either of you in this area?

Looks awesome by the way!

My card is still backordered so I'm waiting. I have the NV5 Silencer for it REV2. Keeping my fingers crossed that it fits and the ram is layed out in the same manner. It all looks the same except a little longer.

Addy
07-24-05, 12:27 AM
People using liquid cooling were experiencing problems with the gpu throttling down. It was first thought that it was because the fan was not hooked up. Turns out the card went into thermal protection mode when the GPU hit 35c, wacky huh?

Itís now known as the cold bug & itís been fixed in the latest beta drivers. Moot issue for NV5 and Zalman users since you wonít hit 35c under load.

-=DVS=-
07-24-05, 12:29 AM
Awesome gotta get me one of those :thumbsup:
Did you power Zalman from card or PSU molex ?

anthonyl
07-24-05, 12:29 AM
Also..what do you do with regard to the ram cooling on the reverse side of the card if you take off that large U shaped bracket / cooling thingy?

Addy
07-24-05, 12:46 AM
The Zalman comes with 8 heatsinks. The 7800gtx has 4 on each side whereas the (mine at least) 6800GT had all 8 on the same side.

5150 Joker
07-24-05, 01:07 AM
Replaced mine with a water block. Left the ram bare since ram sinks are just for looks and don't actually help much. Coolest my card gets is 38 C idle with the AC on during the day and 45-47C load.

Hey Addy, how is your 2005 FPW? I had to exchange mine 4 times to finally get a perfect unit that has no backlight problems or dead pixels.

JamieS
07-24-05, 01:26 AM
Hey- thanks for posting the pic.

Do you think that Zalman will fit in an SLI rig?

Lfctony
07-24-05, 01:33 AM
Nice job. Can't be bothered to touch mine though, I ain't taking any chances with modifications on my card. I've stopped taking chances a long time ago. :)

Addy
07-24-05, 02:33 AM
Hey Addy, how is your 2005 FPW? I had to exchange mine 4 times to finally get a perfect unit that has no backlight problems or dead pixels.

Kept the 1st one I got. It's rev A01, has one pixel that fires red when black is displayed, so I only see it during bootup if I look for it. Backlighting seems very minor on mine. I went thru Dell hell returning another monitor so didn't wanna push my luck but perfectly happy with it.

Do you think that Zalman will fit in an SLI rig?

Pretty sure it would not be a prblem on that DFI, the Zalman will cover up the adjacent slot so you'd only have one spare PCI tho...

edit: JamieS I see you have a Audigy2 in your sig here's a pic of my 6800gt with the SB 2 slots away from the pci-e slot
http://home.comcast.net/~amansir1/zalman.jpg

jAkUp
07-24-05, 02:55 AM
The Zalman's fit fine on all SLI boards. The VGA silencers only work on the ASUS boards.

lumpyhed
07-24-05, 07:34 AM
Hows the noise of the stock cooler? I replaced the stock on my Leadtek 6800 nu with an NV5 Cooler because the bastich was so loud!

Eltigre88
07-24-05, 09:26 AM
Kept the 1st one I got. It's rev A01, has one pixel that fires red when black is displayed, so I only see it during bootup if I look for it. Backlighting seems very minor on mine. I went thru Dell hell returning another monitor so didn't wanna push my luck but perfectly happy with it.

Pretty sure it would not be a prblem on that DFI, the Zalman will cover up the adjacent slot so you'd only have one spare PCI tho...

edit: JamieS I see you have a Audigy2 in your sig here's a pic of my 6800gt with the SB 2 slots away from the pci-e slot
http://home.comcast.net/~amansir1/zalman.jpg

Hey the fan on your south bridge? I s that an after market or stock for your board? I'm trying to find a good fan/heatsink setup for mine. It gets real hot.

A little confused. You know that the 7800 has VIVO right? So why the capture card in your last PCI slot?

ozziegn
07-24-05, 10:25 AM
Hows the noise of the stock cooler?

just about dead silent. (too bad I couldnt say the same for my 6800 GT's stock cooler. that freakin' thing was just ridiculous...)

anyway...

here's a shot of what my setup looks like in action:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ozziegn1/lian_li4.jpg

-oh, and to answer someone's question above. the Zalman is being powered by one of my motherboard's fan headers.

ozziegn
07-24-05, 10:27 AM
A little confused. You know that the 7800 has VIVO right? So why the capture card in your last PCI slot?

probably because his capture card also has a TV tuner which obviously the 7800 GTX does not have.

ozziegn
07-24-05, 10:28 AM
Also..what do you do with regard to the ram cooling on the reverse side of the card if you take off that large U shaped bracket / cooling thingy?

the memory heatsinks from the Zalman kit cool the memory chips on both sides just fine.

I can easily run my memory at 1400 w/o the card breaking a sweat.

ozziegn
07-24-05, 10:32 AM
Nice job. Can't be bothered to touch mine though, I ain't taking any chances with modifications on my card. I've stopped taking chances a long time ago. :)

actually changing out the stock cooler wasnt that bad.

it was just time consuming because the stock cooler has a gazzilion screws here and there that must be removed with care. otherwise you'll get the risk of stripping the screw heads thus showing signs of tamperment if/when you should ever need to put the stock cooler back on for warranty purposes.

all of my video card's end up with the stock coolers when I sell them and there's never any signs that the coolers were ever removed in the first place. :angel:

Eltigre88
07-24-05, 11:34 AM
just about dead silent. (too bad I couldnt say the same for my 6800 GT's stock cooler. that freakin' thing was just ridiculous...)

anyway...

here's a shot of what my setup looks like in action:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ozziegn1/lian_li4.jpg

-oh, and to answer someone's question above. the Zalman is being powered by one of my motherboard's fan headers.

Love the Thermaltake 112 tower! Don't you think the 90mm fan is over running the 80mm one? You would be better off with just the 90.

Nice add on fan to the north bridge too.

Addy
07-24-05, 11:39 AM
Hey the fan on your south bridge? I s that an after market or stock for your board? I'm trying to find a good fan/heatsink setup for mine. It gets real hot.

Yeah that's the stock fan, but I think something like a Vantec Iceberq would fit.

And that's my 6800gt I have pictured there, was just to let Jamie know how close the soundblaster would be but I still have it in my in there with my 7800 becuase it's a TV tuner.

lumpyhed
07-24-05, 11:57 AM
An incredibly clean case! :D
Mines just an utter mess inside.. (crazy)

Eltigre88
07-24-05, 01:04 PM
Yeah that's the stock fan, but I think something like a Vantec Iceberq would fit.

And that's my 6800gt I have pictured there, was just to let Jamie know how close the soundblaster would be but I still have it in my in there with my 7800 becuase it's a TV tuner.

Cool figured it was for the TV!

Eltigre88
07-30-05, 09:18 AM
WAste of time. Don't bother with the Arctic Cooler NV5 Silencer Revision 2. Although they have made it very easy to install with no mods required, it has made no difference in my temps they remain identical to my stock cooler.

Dr.Nick
07-31-05, 11:07 PM
I installed a VF700 on my 7800 today but messed up and bought the copper/aluminum version:( Still works great though and has dropped my temps from 56/84 to 44/65c and has increased my oc from 475/1350 to 500/1380. The card also doesn’t downclock because I don’t use the stock cooler which was a big relief.

Shapeshifter
08-01-05, 10:16 PM
Question about the VF700-CU.

Obviously it seems to do much better then the stock 7800gtx cooling.

But im wondering if there are any other better air cooling solutions for the 7800gtx? or is this the best air one?

Also, the ram sinks that come with it, are they copper or are they made of aluminum? (they look to be aluminum, unless it's painted copper) If they are aluminum should I just pop off some old Copper OCZ ram sinks I have on another card and use those?

I want to puh my xfx to 490/1300 and not have to worry about temps. (Im sure the stock cooling would be fine to reach that, but Id rather it be the coolest it could be while doing it)

oh and for attaching the ram sinks, what type of paste is suggested? (I know thermal tape isn't the best option)