PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop and Dell LCD Monitor Coupons!!

Pages : [1] 2

saweetnesstrev
07-24-05, 01:14 AM
HOT!: Up to 40% off Dell LCD Monitors! 20" Widescreen for $389!, 17" for $185, 24" for $803!

HOT!: 40% off Dell Laptops $999+!

ect..

http://www.dealmein.net/#10740

MUYA
07-24-05, 02:02 AM
damn dosesn't apply to Hong kong :(

GlowStick
07-24-05, 02:27 AM
dam, could of used the laptop one.

saweetnesstrev
07-24-05, 03:26 AM
are these really good deals i hope this is good :P

TheHelpful1
07-24-05, 10:37 AM
are these really good deals i hope this is good :P

Yeah these are good deals. I just (finally) ordered the 24" wide. For $800, thats practically a steal!. It's less than I paid for my current 20" LCD 4:3.

Rakeesh
07-24-05, 01:32 PM
Are dell LCD monitors generally good compared to e.g. Samsung, Sony, ViewSonic? And do they give a free exchange if the monitor has dead pixels?

Sazar
07-24-05, 01:51 PM
Yes, they are as good as or better than the competition. There are not many companies that manufacture the panels Alpha so the quality does not change much, the key things are build quality for the chasis and features. The dell displays are typically pretty good, which is why so many gamers have em now. Plus dell is cheaper than the competition usually.

For exchange, they have a 1 year advance exchange program usually, you can extend that if you want. If there is a defect, dell will take care of it.

That 40% for $999 systems seems incorrect. There is one for systems over $2499, have not seen a valid one for $999 and above.

Riptide
07-24-05, 02:10 PM
The 2405FPW uses a Samsung panel. If you buy the Samsung version you will pay more for essentially the same panel. Dell has a good exchange policy - in the first 21 days you can exchange no questions asked.

BTW it is still difficult to find displays with 0 defects. But they are better now than they once were.

Rakeesh
07-24-05, 04:39 PM
The 2405FPW uses a Samsung panel. If you buy the Samsung version you will pay more for essentially the same panel. Dell has a good exchange policy - in the first 21 days you can exchange no questions asked.

BTW it is still difficult to find displays with 0 defects. But they are better now than they once were.

Well, so far every LCD I have ever bought has not had a single dead pixel, but I can imagine even just one being extremely annoying, no matter where on the screen it is.

Does dell charge you shipping if you exchange the monitor within the 21 day period though?

And how are they with refunds? I generally don't like buying monitors or TVs unless I can physically look at it. I currently have my eye on the 1905FP (currently $285, very good deal,) but I have no way of guaging how this monitor will perform with games, and how crisp the picture will look. I have seen several monitors that claim a good contrast ratio, but the picture looks washed out.

Does anybody have any idea if there are any rebrands of this that are available in stores so I can get an idea?

Riptide
07-24-05, 04:52 PM
Well, so far every LCD I have ever bought has not had a single dead pixel, but I can imagine even just one being extremely annoying, no matter where on the screen it is.I've never had a single display yet that didn't come with at least one. I think people who claim to have never got one, even after owning multiple displays, simply don't look hard enough. They aren't always easy to spot. BTW, no offense intended there, but this is a sore spot with me.
Does dell charge you shipping if you exchange the monitor within the 21 day period though?Negative.
And how are they with refunds? I generally don't like buying monitors or TVs unless I can physically look at it. I currently have my eye on the 1905FP (currently $285, very good deal,) but I have no way of guaging how this monitor will perform with games, and how crisp the picture will look. I have seen several monitors that claim a good contrast ratio, but the picture looks washed out.You have a 21 day period to return for refund, no questions asked. It's up to you entirely and they won't argue with you. Beyond the 21 days then you're stuck with it, though you could still exchange for a referb.

Sazar
07-24-05, 05:14 PM
If you have a problem beyond 21 days for somwething, you can talk to Dell's returns management department and see if you can work something out.

No guarantee's but if you have a persuasive case, they may relent. They might charge you shipping back but I don't think there is a re-stocking fee.

Shipping on a return or exchange is typically free (assuming you had free shipping on the item before hand).

Alpha, the 1905 is a nice display, I use one at work and since its an Ultrasharp, it has a pretty good panel in there.

Check out the contrast ratio's/brightness levels in specs v/s what you might be using right now. Also if you get a chance, head over to a Dell kiosk in a mall and see if they have the 1905FP available for you to check out in person. Much easier to guage quality in person.

Rakeesh
07-24-05, 05:51 PM
I've never had a single display yet that didn't come with at least one. I think people who claim to have never got one, even after owning multiple displays, simply don't look hard enough. They aren't always easy to spot. BTW, no offense intended there, but this is a sore spot with me.

Interesting, whats a good way to test for dead pixels? Thus far I have 4 LCD monitors, haven't noticed anything dead on em. (I was figuring you just look for solid black or solid white spots)

Alpha, the 1905 is a nice display, I use one at work and since its an Ultrasharp, it has a pretty good panel in there.

How is it for games? That is my primary intended use. I have heard that the midtone colors don't distinguish well on this monitor, and that tends to be what makes all of the difference in games AFAIK. Also, how well does it display black? And I also noticed that this monitor has a lower max brightness than my current monitor, but I don't know how much difference a factor of 50 would make. Can this monitor display a bright picture?

(FWIW, I currently have these two monitors:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sharp_LL_172C_B___flat_panel_display___TFT___17_/4507-3174_7-31288509.html?tag=tab
http://reviews.cnet.com/Proview_PL_713s___flat_panel_display___TFT___17_/4507-3174_7-31209278.html?tag=tab

I like the proview better so far btw.)

Riptide
07-24-05, 07:13 PM
Interesting, whats a good way to test for dead pixels? Thus far I have 4 LCD monitors, haven't noticed anything dead on em. (I was figuring you just look for solid black or solid white spots)
There are dead pixel checkers out there but the problem you run into is two fold:
1) often times the pixels are so tiny that you need to get almost right up against the display
2) some only show up against certain color backgrounds

Take my screen for instance. 1920x1200 makes for some really tiny little pixels. The two that I have are green on black only. It took a long, long time before one day I happened to have just the right wallpaper on there and my face was close to the display - I saw them. They looked like two tiny dots that didn't quite fit into the wallpaper. After experimening I found out yep, dead/stuck pixels.

TBH man if you swear you haven't seen any - don't bother going hunting for them. If you don't see them then why let it bug you right? ;)

GlowStick
07-24-05, 09:39 PM
Yes, rip is right, i 'feel' i dont have any dead pixels, but then i decided to do close up examinations, and i kept thinking i saw one, but all ended up dust. you will go nutz trying to find em.

ignorance is really bliss in this situation :d

Sazar
07-24-05, 09:56 PM
How is it for games? That is my primary intended use. I have heard that the midtone colors don't distinguish well on this monitor, and that tends to be what makes all of the difference in games AFAIK. Also, how well does it display black? And I also noticed that this monitor has a lower max brightness than my current monitor, but I don't know how much difference a factor of 50 would make. Can this monitor display a bright picture?

The picture quality is pretty good, the specs compare favorably with the two you have, specially the contrast ratio.

I work in 2d for the most part so I can't say how well it would be for games but my brother has one. The only game he plays is Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and fwiw, it plays brilliantly.

I would still go to a kiosk and check it in person and manually adjust brightness/contrast ratio's to see if it matches up to what you expect to get for what you are paying for it.

Rakeesh
07-24-05, 10:56 PM
The picture quality is pretty good, the specs compare favorably with the two you have, specially the contrast ratio.

Yeah, but I have seen higher contrast ratio monitors that look worse. Also, dell doesn't have any local kiosks here, so I can't go that route. The big issue here for games is that I am seeing the 20ms response time on this monitor. My current monitor is 16ms.

EDIT: By the way, this monitor seems to be a rebrand of a samsung 193P. Has anybody had any experience with that one?

Regardless, the reviews say the 193P is good for gaming, and other reviews say that the Dell is perfectly identical to it (except for the bezel and OSD, naturally.) I'll order me up one. If it sucks, I am out 13 bux, not too big of a risk IMO.

Rakeesh
07-25-05, 02:44 AM
You know, I am about to order this thing, but I can't find out what kind of warranty it has, or what warranty options are available.

Riptide
07-25-05, 08:40 AM
I think Dell has 3 year warranties including 3 years on the backlight. They should be able to tell you if you call the 800 #.

superklye
07-25-05, 10:12 AM
That 40% for $999 systems seems incorrect. There is one for systems over $2499, have not seen a valid one for $999 and above.
No, it's correct. It's been all over Ben's Bargains.

40% off $999+...what a deal! I wish I had the money to get a lapper.

Rakeesh
07-25-05, 06:39 PM
I think Dell has 3 year warranties including 3 years on the backlight. They should be able to tell you if you call the 800 #.

Yeah, they have a 3 year warranty that covers the entire display afaik.

Rakeesh
07-29-05, 03:53 PM
Just got it today...holy **** this monitor is so pure. Black is black and white is white; not something "close enough." Every other color is exact (I never noticed just how brown the default windows color scheme really is before...) CRT monitors don't even compare. The only con is the response time is a little slow in games, but I think I can get used to it over time. A huge pro though is that you can see people hiding in dark areas without cranking the brightness all the way up. All in all, I think this monitor provides a definite gaming advantage over my last one simply because of that fact.

Elderblaze
07-30-05, 01:12 AM
lol any good trinitron will wtfpwn the best LCD's don't kid yourself. Im a LCD user as well, but I know better. (On contrast ratio)

netviper13
07-30-05, 04:14 AM
lol any good trinitron will wtfpwn the best LCD's don't kid yourself. Im a LCD user as well, but I know better. (On contrast ratio)

Try lugging a 19" or bigger CRT around to LAN parties, and any advantage it offers in image quality is immediately outweighed (no pun intended ;)) by the pain it presents.

In addition, I got sick and tired of seeing those two little horizontal lines that Trinitron displays have. Yes they are small, but once I knew where they were I couldn't help but notice them in everything.

Riptide
07-30-05, 09:30 AM
LOL I'd love to see a CRT "wtfpwn" my LCD when it comes to focus, geometry and convergence. Oh wait it never will.

Rakeesh
07-30-05, 11:56 AM

Well, I have a 21" sony trinitron monitor downstairs, and while it is a pretty good monitor, it doesn't compare to this.