PDA

View Full Version : Too dark overlay on 6800 Ultra (not related to 77.7x drivers issue)

southpaw
07-24-05, 12:03 PM
I have a little problem with my MSI 6800Ultra AGP video card regarding too dark overlay on default settings (by "default settings" I mean a straight line from bottom left to upper right corner in color correction driver settings or better say brightness 100%, contrast 90% and gamma 1.00). For a regular overlay I need to manuely set brightness to 115%, contrast to 90% and gamma to 1.47 and even then I get a feeling that video playback is not "completely natural" (btw I have 77.76 drivers installed, but I tried all official drivers from 66.93 to 77.76 and the problem is always there). Is this normal or is it something wrong with the card? I have to say I do not have similar problems in desktop and 3D, only with overlay. I just purchased the card, it is not new so I do not have any warranty and I am a little concern about this. Is this a bad sign, like a "dying card" sign or is it just normal for a 6800 Ultra gpu to behave this way? Also I do not know if it is relevant, but I use DVI/VGA adapter to connect my video card to CRT monitor. Any feedback appreciated.

F_L_C
07-25-05, 03:14 AM
Try enabling VMR instead of using overlay. It could also be the media source you are viewing; some sources are just too dark.

southpaw
07-26-05, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the advice, I tried VMR and it is far better than using default overlay settings. I am under impression that the video playback is still a little bit darker then it should be, but I think I can live with it ;). Also I do not see any difference in video image quality while using VMR instead overlay, should there be any at all?

F_L_C
07-26-05, 05:53 AM
When I enable VMR, colors are more vivid and brightness/contrast/saturation levels are sufficient in virtually all video sources. Rarely do I need to make adjustments in whatever video app I happen to be using. Overlay, on the hand, is unpredictable and almost always requires adjustments from default levels.

I don't know what video apps you're using, but to get better video quality, use one that is capable of rendering with VMR9, which uses Direct3D 9 (WMP10 is only capable of VMR7, which uses DirectDraw 7) . A couple of VMR9-capable apps are Zoom Player and Media Player Classic. Combine either of these two apps with a quality video decoder and some FFDShow post-processing and you'll certainly notice a differece if you've been using apps like WMP10, WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc. with overlay rendering.