PDA

View Full Version : curious about AGP voltage for 6800LE

Cheeseh
07-24-05, 01:17 PM
Hi, Sorry If this has been asked before (searched in this forum)... would like to ask what the AGP voltage should be set at in the system BIOS for say for example, (XFX) 6800 LE (what I've got).

It's currently at 1.5V and always has been, even when I had my 5900XT in. It seems to be running fine though. I am just wondering if there is any consequences at running at 1.5V, I noticed a lot of people running at 1.3/1.4, I don't know If there will be any long term effects? I am not even overclocking it, although being an LE , it's stock Core speed is 325Mhz and I've unlocked all pipelines too. So to my knowledge I'm not overclocking it but I've got the voltage at 1.5V which I feel might be a bit "harsh" for it :rolleyes:

Wolfhound
07-24-05, 01:24 PM
I have my AGP voltage at 1,5 V and doesnīt have any problem since I installed the card (and overclocked it but now my HSF is a little f***ed up and I donīt want it to disappear in flames) if I put the AGP Voltage in the mobo BIOS as Auto it defaults to 1,5V.

Cheeseh
07-24-05, 01:27 PM
Thanks, yeah the motherboard default for me is also 1.5V becuase I'm sure I never touched it before but I've just been getting a bit confused recently with many posts on voltages less than that, and since after just upgrading my card I thought I'd just check it out.

Mr. Nice
07-24-05, 03:28 PM
It's currently at 1.5V and always has been, even when I had my 5900XT in. It seems to be running fine though. I am just wondering if there is any consequences at running at 1.5V, I noticed a lot of people running at 1.3/1.4, I don't know If there will be any long term effects? They are referring to two different things. Go back a couple of years, and yes, the gpu was powered directly over agp, at the voltage specified in the bios. However, now cards regulate the voltage for the gpu themselves. 1.5v is the correct, default voltage which the card expects to receive from the agp slot.

jimmor
07-25-05, 03:59 AM
Hi, Sorry If this has been asked before (searched in this forum)... would like to ask what the AGP voltage should be set at in the system BIOS for say for example, (XFX) 6800 LE (what I've got).

It's currently at 1.5V and always has been, even when I had my 5900XT in. It seems to be running fine though. I am just wondering if there is any consequences at running at 1.5V, I noticed a lot of people running at 1.3/1.4, I don't know If there will be any long term effects? I am not even overclocking it, although being an LE , it's stock Core speed is 325Mhz and I've unlocked all pipelines too. So to my knowledge I'm not overclocking it but I've got the voltage at 1.5V which I feel might be a bit "harsh" for it :rolleyes:

The 1.5v AGP volts is a mobo/vga card interface requirement and therefore nothing to do with any card operating volts. And the only reason to consider raising it from the standard 1.5v level, is when you are overclocking the mobo AGP Front Side Bus above the norms of 33/66MHz.

Daneel Olivaw
07-30-05, 06:25 AM
Hey Jimmor! :)
Guess what, since our FX5900xt were such good cards, I just ordered a Leadtek A400LE (6800LE) AGP. For less than I payed my FX5900.
FX5900: 275 Can$ January 2004 (220 US$)
6800LE: 215 Can$ July 2005 (172 US$)

I Just sold my FX5900 for 150 Can$ + some ram (512MB) for another 50 Can$.
Lets see if I can get those clocks up and those pipes open! My P4 2.4@3.4 should push that card along nicely.

Jim, What do you think of the stock cooling on the Leadtek?

jimmor
07-30-05, 10:56 AM
Hey Jimmor! :)
Guess what, since our FX5900xt were such good cards, I just ordered a Leadtek A400LE (6800LE) AGP. For less than I payed my FX5900.
FX5900: 275 Can$ January 2004 (220 US$)
6800LE: 215 Can$ July 2005 (172 US$)

I Just sold my FX5900 for 150 Can$ + some ram (512MB) for another 50 Can$.
Lets see if I can get those clocks up and those pipes open! My P4 2.4@3.4 should push that card along nicely.

Jim, What do you think of the stock cooling on the Leadtek?

Hi Daneel,

Thought your 1000th posting was to be the trigger for you disappearing back into the REAL world. In fact, as your current sig still implies ?

However, glad you found something new and interesting enough to get you going again in this land of vga card insanity.

Assuming you are as lucky with your A400le as I was, then there is a wealth of info in this and other forums which will make yours a much better card !

And although my A400le cost virtually the same as my Aopen 5900nu, it is currently a much better performer in all areas; but especially dx9.

Also, I found the Leadtek stock cooling to work very good. However, because I started with the premis that I would likely overclock the hell out of the card, I fitted a Arctic NV5 cooler. The NV5 has proven to give around 10C on the original Leadtek, and is much quieter too.

Keep in touch on progress with yours !

:)