PDA

View Full Version : Routers without a Firewall?

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 12:41 AM
Are there any routers that do not have a built in firewall? I want to make a private LAN for my consoles/PCs in my room (already got a network going for the household) and don't need a firewall since the original router has one already. I can't use a switch or a hub since they wont allow multiple systems to use the internet at once.

I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of a router without a firewall or atleast one that can have it disabled (all that I have seen are always on).

AthlonXP1800
07-25-05, 01:41 AM
No all routers has built in hardware firewall, in order to play private LAN with the PCs and consoles, you need to configure the router built-in ROM software's IP filtering, MAC addresses etc. :)

rewt
07-25-05, 01:46 AM
Just hook a switch up to one of the router ports.

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 02:02 AM
Yeah but switches wont allow multiple systems to go online at the same time, they don't have a DCHP server from what im aware of.

AthlonXP1800, Thats basically what I want to avoid. I already configured one router, I don't want to go through the hassle of configuring another.

If they all have firewalls, know of a router that has one that can be disabled completly?

rewt
07-25-05, 02:20 AM
Yeah but switches wont allow multiple systems to go online at the same time

Yes they do, if you hook them to a router. In fact, even a hub would work.

they don't have a DCHP server from what im aware of

True, the router is the one to handle DHCP. DHCP is dynamic host configuration protocol. It can actually be turned off and the network will still run (but then you need to set up IP addresses manually on all the workstations).

netviper13
07-25-05, 02:37 AM
Yeah but switches wont allow multiple systems to go online at the same time, they don't have a DCHP server from what im aware of.

AthlonXP1800, Thats basically what I want to avoid. I already configured one router, I don't want to go through the hassle of configuring another.

If they all have firewalls, know of a router that has one that can be disabled completly?

Right switches do not have DHCP servers, but your router does. The switch won't do any data manipulation on the layer of the OSI model involved with TCP/IP type stuff, it exists as a Layer 2 device, which would involve MAC address type filtering.

As long as the switch is hooked up to some device, presumably a router, with a DHCP server, all machines connected to the switch will receive IP addresses from the router and should be able to access the internet. I should know, my computer right now is hooked up to a Linksys switch that is in turn connected to a Linksys router that is connected to our cable modem.

rewt
07-25-05, 02:52 AM
Look heres a nice little diagram from Netgear.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/9389/gs6051xe.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 02:55 AM
hmm

Sounds good...

j0j081
07-25-05, 05:37 AM
Most routers allow you to disable the firewall.