PDA

View Full Version : nHancer: Suggestions and ideas

Grestorn
07-25-05, 06:20 AM
I'm currently finishing version 1.2 of nHancer and I've got a couple of items I'd like your opinion about. Please write your comments and/or give me your vote in the poll.

As I've explained here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54119), there are several bugs in nVidia's drivers. I'm not sure how to deal with them in nHancer.

While the user is working with a profile, I could simply disable the options which currently don't work in a profile. I don't like this option very much, because it leaves the user in the dark why these options are not available. And there might be a time when nVidia will fix this, and then nHancer would have to be changed again.

I prefer the solution to simply write an explanation in the descriptions of those options that only work globally. But many people might not read those descriptions and wonder why their options don't work...

The issue about the path-aware SLI settings (also explained here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54119)).

I can continue to ignore that feature completely. Or I could make it possible to add executables to a profile together with a portion of their path (the code for that has been present in nHancer for quite a while, but it's disabled).

Problem is: Most options won't work if the user doesn't additionally add the same executable without a path. But if he does, the profile will most likely collide with other profiles using the same executable name... since the only reason to add a portion of the path in the first place is to differentiate against other profiles with the same exe name.

I think this feature will just confuse the user. But I also want to make it useable somehow. I just don't know how...

There are some options only available with certain driver versions. For example the new SLI-AA option or the new OpenGL Triple-Buffer option.

Currently, nHancer offers these option regardless of the installed driver's version. That could confuse the user, since the options obviously won't work if the user has an outdated driver installed.

Of course I could detect the driver version and disable the options that the driver doesn't support. Problem is: I'd hate to include a table of which options are working with which driver version. This table would have to be maintained and I'd be forced to release a new version of nHancer with each new (beta)driver, which might or might not support this or that option.

Again I'd rather just include a warning in the description. But I'm not sure if that's enough...

A very similar problem is the thing about options that are only available on specific hardware, like the new AA flags (gamma correction, Transparent AA).

If I maintain a table of all hardware currently supporting certain options, I'd have to update this table which each released new hardware. Even worse: Since I can't buy all cards available anywhere on the world, there might be cases where some cards that are perfectly capable of supporting an option, but nHancer wouldn't offer it...

And last but absolutely not least - actually the most important item, because it concerns every user of nHancer:

There is the issue of the Anti-Aliasing modes. There are many many AA modes right now, so many, that I'm sure that most people are just confused by their sheer number.

Additionally, some of those modes aren't working correctly with the current drivers (e.g. 8xS old, which is plainly broken, or 4x gamma corrected which causes normal 4x to look bad until the next reboot).

But I'm told all the time, that there are users that are happy to be able to use those modes. So what do you think? Shall I include all available AA modes, even the broken ones? Shall I leave out the broken ones? Shall I include the unofficial, experimental ones, that some of you are requesting (like 4x 9-tap)?

I'd be happy to get your opinion on these issues, so feel free to comment or add anything else regarding to nHancer!

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 06:25 AM
For issue 5 I would say leave them in but put a not stating that they are broken, like if selected making a dialog box popup making the user aware that their selection doesn't work.

ChrisRay
07-25-05, 06:49 AM
Get the 12x AA, old 6xAA mode, and 4x9tap in there. I dunno if you can the old 4x OGMS either but that;d be useful too. ((I cant find it anymore) Issue 4 seems worthwhile to avoid confusion. The optimisations that dont work in profiles. I am all for however you decide to handle them. But please leave the ability to force them globally through the driver.

muaddib
07-25-05, 07:41 AM
nHancer is one of the best softwares I've used, good job Grestorn.
You could make it even better by:
- Include all AA modes, but put a warning in the description if the mode is not officially supported by a particular game/drivers or/and is broken.
- Include special OpenGL options like DXT3 compression and Tripple Buffering.
- When I download nHancer, I have no use in all of these pre-made profiles. Too delete them I need to go one-by-one and it's frustrating. You should allow an option to delete them all by CTRL+A, please.

Thanks! :D

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 07:43 AM
There is an option to delete all the profiles... Just do that and then create your own.

anzak
07-25-05, 01:20 PM
nHancer is one of the best softwares I've used, good job Grestorn.
You could make it even better by:
- Include all AA modes, but put a warning in the description if the mode is not officially supported by a particular game/drivers or/and is broken.
- Include special OpenGL options like DXT3 compression and Tripple Buffering.
- When I download nHancer, I have no use in all of these pre-made profiles. Too delete them I need to go one-by-one and it's frustrating. You should allow an option to delete them all by CTRL+A, please.

Thanks! :D

QFT. I agree with everything muaddib said.

Thanks for your hard work on nHancer!

gram_vaz
07-25-05, 01:47 PM

you really shouldn't delete those profiles. nvidia didn't just include those profiles as examples so you can make your own. those profiles are needed to make some games work properly.

tho what i would want is an option to hide those profiles so i can only see my own user profiles.

SH64
07-25-05, 08:40 PM
IMO disable options that dont work in profiles (like filtering opt options & image settings) they can be just confusing for the user.
one warning messege to notify the user about that issue would be enough.

cant think of other stuff right now but when i figure something i'll make sure to drop a line here.

& thanks for this great utility!

swatX
07-25-05, 10:28 PM
if only there is a way to put a option of which sound card to choose when playing a game.

would be helpful for people with two sound cards ;)

Muppet
07-26-05, 01:55 AM
Get the 12x AA, old 6xAA mode, and 4x9tap in there. I dunno if you can the old 4x OGMS either but that;d be useful too. ((I cant find it anymore) Issue 4 seems worthwhile to avoid confusion. The optimisations that dont work in profiles. I am all for however you decide to handle them. But please leave the ability to force them globally through the driver.
That would be real good, a great idea indeed :)

Osamar
07-26-05, 06:32 AM
I could be nice to have a Standar/Adavanced user "Fontend" with some options enabled and/or disabled.

It could be possible to have a file to translate nHanter to other languages????

Grestorn
07-26-05, 07:23 AM
I could be nice to have a Standar/Adavanced user "Fontend" with some options enabled and/or disabled.Hm, yes, that's certainly a good idea...

It could be possible to have a file to translate nHanter to other languages????
There's already a german, a spanish and a polish version right now.

Grestorn
07-26-05, 07:28 AM
nHancer is one of the best softwares I've used, good job Grestorn.Thanks ;)

- Include all AA modes, but put a warning in the description if the mode is not officially supported by a particular game/drivers or/and is broken.I like the solution to pop up a warning message (which can be turned off) in those problematic cases.

- Include special OpenGL options like DXT3 compression and Tripple Buffering.Triple Buffer is already available in my current (unreleased) version. I also included a LOD-BIAS setting.

What's the reason you want to change the DXT3 setting?

- When I download nHancer, I have no use in all of these pre-made profiles. Too delete them I need to go one-by-one and it's frustrating. You should allow an option to delete them all by CTRL+A, please.As the others have already written, it's not a good idea to delete the predefined profiles. But I'm considering to add a checkbutton to hide unchanged predefined settings.

Grestorn
07-26-05, 07:34 AM
if only there is a way to put a option of which sound card to choose when playing a game.

would be helpful for people with two sound cards ;)
The only way to do such things would be to install a service with a global hook in the system that allows nHancer to get notified if any program is about to be started (or is using a DirectX DLL). Then nHancer could do all kind of things.

Right now, nHancer is limited to the features the driver itself offers, which is quite limited unfortunately. But the idea with the global hook means a complete different approach which has major repercussions. nHancer wouldn't be the small, easy, unobtrusive, efficient program it is today.

I don't rule it out completely, especially since the idea has been in my head for quite a while (for dynamic overclocking), but this would mean a couple of weeks full time work on the project, and I don't see this coming in the near future.

jolle
07-26-05, 07:37 AM
About the AA modes..
What about including all of them, but have a "Filter button" that hides the experimental and/or buggy ones, like "Basic/advanced" setting in the ForceWare CP..
Or just mark the buggy ones with red color or something.

muaddib
07-26-05, 08:05 AM
What's the reason you want to change the DXT3 setting?

In RivaTuner there's an option to compress DXT3 instead of DXT1 which boosts IQ. I would like to toggle it on/off between various games.

As the others have already written, it's not a good idea to delete the predefined profiles. But I'm considering to add a checkbutton to hide unchanged predefined settings.

Why not? I can make my own profiles, just for the games I really play, and they work perfectly. The pre-made profiles just make a mess in my list, and 90% of the games found between them are the one I don't play.

Grestorn
07-26-05, 09:22 AM
Why not? I can make my own profiles, just for the games I really play, and they work perfectly. The pre-made profiles just make a mess in my list, and 90% of the games found between them are the one I don't play.Well, IF you happen to play them, they might not work correctly or even crash. If you can't see the profiles (because they are optionally filtered out), they can't make a mess, can they?

anzak
07-26-05, 10:09 AM
Well, IF you happen to play them, they might not work correctly or even crash. If you can't see the profiles (because they are optionally filtered out), they can't make a mess, can they?

I like the idea of filtering them out. Maybe using checkboxes with a "deselect all" button which would easily uncheck all of the default profiles. The user could then check only the ones they wish to use.

muaddib
07-26-05, 12:51 PM
Grestorn, in my continuous NV40 AA patterns adventures, I've found the 16xS works perfectly in OpenGL games such as CS1.6, while in the description you said it doesn't. I think it's the best OpenGL mode for High-End cards w/ <19" screens.

Grestorn
07-26-05, 01:53 PM
Grestorn, in my continious NV40 AA patterns adventures, I've found the 16xS works perfectly in OpenGL games such as CS1.6, while in the description you said it doesn't. I think it's the best OpenGL mode for High-End cards w/ <19" screens.
Thanks for letting me know!