PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII PC High Res Patch.

Lfctony
07-25-05, 12:27 PM
This patch will allow you to run Final Fantasy VII in 1280x960 for the PC. The latest version of the patch also fixes AA for the game. I'm running it with 8xS/16xAF now, simply amazing to look at.

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=3203

The patch needs to be applied to the 1.02 version of the game, ie the RivaTnT patch. It works fine with my 7800GTX, ATI owners should be fine as well. Search the forums for any other problems you may face.

Tony

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12687&stc=1

CaptNKILL
07-25-05, 01:05 PM
Wow, I remember when that game looked so great... now it looks terrible. I cant tell if the textures are just blurry or if the models are flat-shaded :lol:

npras42
07-25-05, 01:38 PM
That screenshot looks unbelievably good compared to the original PSX version though. I've never played it on PC but wow, even though it looks crappy to today's standard I kinda want to play it because it looks so much better.

ralinn
07-25-05, 01:40 PM
YAY! Another excuse to play it! :D

|MaguS|
07-25-05, 01:55 PM
Will this work with the Windows XP Patch?

Seph gPu
07-25-05, 02:26 PM
Oh man..i've waited so long for something like this!

GamerGuyX
07-25-05, 02:56 PM
Oh man..i've waited so long for something like this!

Oh you and me both! :D

Lfctony
07-25-05, 04:59 PM
I didn't even install the WindowsXP patch(screws up colors). All I did was copy over the 1.02 files after installation, then patch those with this one and then apply the chocobo patch which doesn't recognise the exe but adaptive patching works fine. Game runs great, I'm almost at Costa Del Sol.

Acid Rain
07-25-05, 10:12 PM
Best FF ever. They really need to do a new one following this model, and do it with beefy hardware in mind. I prefer Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc., but, this is one console RPG that is well worth a play.

Gentle
07-26-05, 03:44 PM
I bought this when I had Windows 98... It had a great Yamaha XG Midi Soft Synth included... They really sound good with the XG midi.

But, when I upgraded to Windows 2000, it broke the XG Midi.

I haven't played it for several years.

Gentle

ralinn
07-26-05, 05:45 PM
The only bad thing about FFVII on the PC is that the music is no where near as good as it was on the PSone :(

Wonder if someone could haxor FFVII so that I could put all my PSone FFVII mp3s in there ;) or even the Black Mages versions!!!

FierceDeityLink
07-26-05, 08:40 PM
I was going to say this a few posts ago, but it's almost easier just to run Final Fantasy VII for the PSX in an emulator...

Lfctony
07-26-05, 08:59 PM
Nah, I've found it to be quite a lot more troublesome. This patch makes the game look a lot better and it's much easier to run, much more stable as well.

Q
07-26-05, 10:40 PM
Lfctony....thank you.

Its kinda hard to believe that this game STILL has the fan base after so long. I think it really is one of the best games ever made, even by "today's standards".

I wish square-enix would remake it instead of milking the series name for mobile devices and consoles. It seems to still be fairly popular = profitable....don't you think?

Lfctony
07-26-05, 11:15 PM
If they made a remake I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Can't wait for Advent Children. 3 months left. :)

ralinn
07-27-05, 07:44 AM
3 Months too long :(

Just think if they updated it for the PS3.... mmmmm

*day dreams*

GeForce X
07-27-05, 11:42 AM
Made a name here just to post about this.

I tried the patch works great - the 2D backgrounds are still quite grainy though - much too pixelated. It's ashame Square did such a half-assed job porting such a great game.

The guy making this patch intends on making a 1600x1200 patch, along with other resolutions - so keep an eye out! He also talks of a way to fix the pixelated 2D backgrounds but said it would take too much time to fix......but at least there is a way to fix it! Which means someone will probably take on the job!

So far the 1280X960 patch works wonders. I'm gaming on a 6800 GT @ Ultra speeds 8xaa and 16xaf, also put the image quality to very high for the game. If you sit back far enough the pixel backgrounds look better. (I'm on a 19"....times like this a 15' would come in reeeeeal handy.)

Happy Gaming!

|MaguS|
07-27-05, 12:21 PM
The backgrounds can not be "fixed" they were created for low resolution TVs so for them to lose thier low res look they either have to be blurred or recreated. As for blaming Square, They didn't port the game, Eidos did.

In all honesty, Just go out and buy the PSX version and play it on an emulator. It will be far better then the PC version since it would have the High Res FMV and the backgrounds wouldn't look like ass.

GeForce X
07-27-05, 12:26 PM
Yeah, he was saying they could be re-created. I'd like to see that.

I've tried the PSX Emu's, AA/AF is broken and it's too buggy to enjoy. :thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
07-27-05, 12:35 PM
Um I have never had an issue with AA/AF or being buggy.

As for him recreating the backgrounds, I think he's full of crap. It would take an extremely long time since he doesn't have any of the source material to make it from scratch and keep the original look.

GeForce X
07-27-05, 01:19 PM
Whenever I try using aa/af with the psone emu, I get green lines over everything. Like the AA isnt functioning correctly. Not just in FF7, any game I try.

GeForce X
07-27-05, 07:05 PM
Magus, do you remember what settings were used for the psx emu/ff7? I figure I'm probably doing something wrong if you've had no trobules running it that way...and I've only put 41 minutes into this game after using this patch, but the horrible 2d backgrounds is too much...cant take my eyes off it. lol

JeRi
07-28-05, 11:43 AM
i've really gotten back into this game now....saw someone talk about it before and i grabbed myself a copy of the pc version....already put in a good 10 hours into this thing. i'm gonna take a look at this patch as all i have installed is the windows xp patch, so the graphics look like crap right now. hope this improves it. thanks for the post

|MaguS|
07-28-05, 11:46 AM
Magus, do you remember what settings were used for the psx emu/ff7? I figure I'm probably doing something wrong if you've had no trobules running it that way...and I've only put 41 minutes into this game after using this patch, but the horrible 2d backgrounds is too much...cant take my eyes off it. lol

No clue, haven't played any PSX games on an emulator since I got rid of my laptop, three years ago (use to play in school, hehe).