PDA

View Full Version : Rage3D GeForce 7800GTX review

Pages : [1] 2

Ratchet
07-25-05, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, I dunno if this is the right place or not for this (if not then maybe a mod can move it to a more appropriate place), but I'd like to point out my review of the 7800GTX on Rage3D (yep) -> http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/nvidia7800gtx/index.php?p=1

Since this is my first nVidia review I'd like to get some idea of what you guys here think of it.

ninelven
07-25-05, 02:58 PM
The primary difference between the G70 and the NV40 is the pixel pipeline configuration. While the basic layout remains the same, NVIDIA managed to squeeze in 24 "pipelines" as opposed to 16 on the NV40. Along with the pixel pipeline changes, NVIDIA also added 2 more vertex shader units to the G70 for a total of 8. They added "add" to su1 (so they can now perform a mad on both su1 and su2). The 3dmark pixel shader test show impressive results. 296 vs 155. If the X850XT-PE had 24 pipes @ 430 one would expect a score of ~192.

As for the review itself. For layout, content, ease of use, clarity of information, and relevance, I'd would say that is about the best review of any one product I have ever encountered on the internet. First R3D review I've read. You even got me to look at the source code, nice job there.

kingmike
07-25-05, 03:12 PM
Nice review, Looks to be accurate, and its obvious theres no bias towards ATI or Nvidia :) It would be nice if other reviewers would follow suit, Thankyou!

angshuman
07-25-05, 03:25 PM
Superb review. Both the content as well as the presentation were simply outstanding. I completely agree with ninelven: "... that is about the best review of any one product I have ever encountered on the internet."

Looks like Far Cry really brings out the memory bandwidth bottleneck of the GTX.

avirox
07-25-05, 03:27 PM
I'm more surprised at how well the x850PE kept up. It seems that if 1024x768 is your gaming res, there's not really much of a performance gain for stepping up from the x850 to the 7800GTX. At higher resolutions the 7800GTX really shines, but a lot of people still run games in the 1280/1024 resolution as stable framerates mean more than an average (which was 52 fps in farcry at the max in that review - at that resolution you can possibly call it a cpu bottleneck.). What I dont like about the review is the lack of HDR timedemos. I know the x850 cant do farcry HDR but they should have atleast compared 6800 HDR performance to 7800 (I know, I know, it's not a 6800 xs 7800 review but still :/). Nice review anyways. Peace,

anzak
07-25-05, 04:00 PM
Great review. I've always liked Rage3d reviews and this is no exception. I really like how you used 0xAA and 16xAF, I don't need AA when you crank the res up to 1600x1200 or higher.

jAkUp
07-25-05, 04:09 PM
On my 22" @1600x1200 AA still makes a pretty significant difference... if I had a 19" monitor, the jaggies would not be as noticable.

NvGod
07-25-05, 04:21 PM
Excellent review, its rather odd that an ATI fan site has a much better review than some nvidia fan sites, including nVnews.

anzak
07-25-05, 04:22 PM
On my 22" @1600x1200 AA still makes a pretty significant difference... if I had a 19" monitor, the jaggies would not be as noticable.

I have a 17" monitor so resolutions like 1600x1200 and 1920x1440 are pretty much jaggie free. :D

Excellent review, its rather odd that an ATI fan site has a much better review than some nvidia fan sites, including nVnews.

nVnews has never done a 7800GTX review. MikeC did a small 3 page preview.

BrianG
07-25-05, 04:28 PM
To Mike's defense, he had the card for just a few days just before the NDA lifted. He tried to touch on key topics. Stay tuned for amore detailed review of actual manufacturer products.

Three days vs. three weeks with a video card can make a big difference. :afro:

NvGod
07-25-05, 04:39 PM
I know the story, its too bad that mike had so little time to "play" with the 7800GTX.

Other than the review itself, I liked the layout and content. In that sense its better than many other reviews I've seen and yes that includes nvnews. Not to say Nvnews is bad, actually its a nice complement to other reviews.

MikeC
07-25-05, 04:41 PM
Cota (Nvgod) get over your game review I won't post and move on. You were banned once yet you still can't leave. This thread is about Ratchet's review stay on topic. Not that you can post under this name anymore.

Nice review Ratchet very well tested and presented material. :)

Long Live Fansites :headbang:

BrianG
07-25-05, 04:44 PM
Hey guys, I dunno if this is the right place or not for this (if not then maybe a mod can move it to a more appropriate place), but I'd like to point out my review of the 7800GTX on Rage3D (yep) -> http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/nvidia7800gtx/index.php?p=1

Since this is my first nVidia review I'd like to get some idea of what you guys here think of it.
Hats off, well done.

You almost seem to have gone out of your way to be fair and unbiased. In all seriousness, that is a difficult thing to do. I know that I truly enjoyed the 9700Pro I owned in my time away from nV News and the rest of hardware web. It seems as though you really enjoyed the 7800GTX, and I guess that is all we can ask of the hardware we choose to use.

The only subject I did not see covered, and one that I am interested in, is how the XTPE vs 7800GTX power/heat/noise comparison plays out. Obviously, NVIDIA is very proud of the single slot design and power saving techniques. I am curious how that impacted your system as many reviews covered 6800Ultra vs. 7800GTX but not XTPE vs. GTX.

Subtestube
07-25-05, 04:55 PM
That was a truly superb review - well written, laid out, and tested. Nice work.

saturnotaku
07-25-05, 05:01 PM
Cota (Nvgod) get over your game review I won't post and move on. You were banned once yet you still can't leave. This thread is about Ratchet's review stay on topic. Not that you can post under this name anymore.

owned:

Nice review Ratchet very well tested and presented material. :)

First time I've visited R3D in well over a year, and that was a very well done review. Props to 'ya. :)

GlowStick
07-25-05, 05:29 PM
Great review, I liked the time you spent on the AA Quality page. However my only gripe, and is with almost all reviews, for the qualtiy stuff, use png!!

Other than that, great layout and content!

:jammin:

Ratchet
07-25-05, 06:16 PM
Great review, I liked the time you spent on the AA Quality page. However my only gripe, and is with almost all reviews, for the qualtiy stuff, use png!!

Other than that, great layout and content!

:jammin:
yeah I would have liked to have used PNGs but saving them lossless quality they would have been over 1MB each.

keith33
07-25-05, 06:20 PM
Kick ass review, I can't believe it was on Rage where all the fanboys are like OMG NVIDIA IS GOIN TO GET UBER PWNZ0RED BY OUR TREZ 1337 R520. NVIDIOT THA SUCKZ. Congrats, I actually enjoyed reading it.

Clay
07-25-05, 06:32 PM
I'm very, very impressed Ratchet. Wow. An excellent review, period. I really liked your used of CSS for the dropdowns and other areas of the review. Very slick. :thumbsup:

SH64
07-25-05, 06:51 PM
Fantastic review Ratchet :thumbsup: .. because :
1) Accurate results (esp when i compare them to what i get)
2) The selectable settings style :D
3) Including 2048x1536 res
4) Including some untraditional games like RBR & Pacific Fighters.
4) First nVIDIA review on ATi fansite .. & non-biased!

my only take would be the black background .. well you know switching between the review & other brightly white websites hurt the eyes :p

all in all very good work!

trinibwoy
07-25-05, 07:14 PM
Loved it. Content was great but what stood out was the excellent presentation. So easy to visually appreciate the performance hit of AA and AF with the clickable settings. Guess it's B3D for the technical stuff and Rage3D for benchmarks from now on if you keep this up :)

shabby
07-25-05, 07:44 PM
Very good review, welcome to the dark side :D

-=DVS=-
07-25-05, 08:50 PM
Nice review, liked page design. :thumbsup:

macatak
07-25-05, 08:53 PM
Top review :)

ps, who's doing the Nvnews Review on the R520 ? :angel:

Clay
07-25-05, 10:04 PM
I'm curious what people think about this review's benchmarking. Specifically that there are no MIN or MAX values...only AVG. I've seen some of you in the past really make a fuss about a review not showing MIN and MAX values...yet I've not seen anyone mention their absence in this review so far.

Personally, I think they (MIN and MAX) are overrated (depending on what the AVG is of course) and capturing them effectively and accurately in a batch mode is nearly impossible. Manual walk-throughs with FRAPS will do it but there can be a considerable margin of error in that approach that may or may not outweigh the benefit of getting the MIN and MAX values in the first place.

Thoughts?