PDA

View Full Version : What's a good PCI graphics card?

solidus667
12-20-02, 06:49 PM
The short version of my message:

What's a good PCI graphics card that has a DVI output that supports a resolution of 1600x1200? The Matrox G450 PCI has a note that says it only supports up to 1280x1024 :(

The long version:

I am fortunate to own 3 excellent displays. Two are Dell UltraSharp 2000 (20" LCD with digital input) and the third is a Sony GDM-F500R (21" CTR with a .22 apeture grille).

I am trying to conceive a good arrangement of graphics hardware for the displays. At the moment, I have the CRT hooked up to a DVI output on my dual-dvi gainward gf4 ti4600 golden sample via a dvi->rgb adapter (one of the two that came with the card) and I have one of my LCD's hooked up to the other DVI port on that card.

Now I have a free PCI slot and am looking for a PCI dvi graphics card that supports 1600x1200 so I can hook up my 2nd lcd display. Unfortunately matrox's g450 DVI only supports up to 1280x1024 in dvi mode.

I want to keep the crt on the gainward card because it has superior update speed and is ideal for games (don't get me wrong, the lcd's look great, but the CRT's pixels can clearly change colors faster and games do not have the smudgy effect evident on my lcd displays).

So, I can't hook both LCD's up to the gainward, because then the RGB monitor would need to connect to a PCI accelerator, and they are all inferior to AGP accellerators as far as I can tell.

Also, I am not willing to attach my LCD monitors to an RGB port, despite the fact that they support it. I want a perfect digital signal if possible. I would much rather have the CRT connected to a DVI port with a high quality DVI->RGB converter if possible.

I've looked into the matrox parhelia, but I am so happy with my gainward I don't really want to part with it. The parhelia wins in many AA configurations, but the gainward is better without AA. AA is not a priority for me. Also, according to matrox's website

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/home.cfm

...the two possible triple-head configurations only include a single DVI port. **** that with a rubber hat.

Other details: I don't require 3d acceleration on the LCDs -- I just need DVI. The CRT should be hooked up to a high powered 3d card.

-Chris

The Baron
12-20-02, 07:10 PM
Features 165MHz integrated TMDS transmitter to support DVI up to UXGA (1600x1200) resolution.

http://www.cptech.com.tw/powercolor/web/product_inside.asp?prd_id=R9000PCIEdition

Damn, I'm sexy.

And DAMN, you have WAY TOO MUCH MONEY. :D

solidus667
12-20-02, 08:27 PM
That's exactly what I need, and it's only $100. Thank you so much!

-Chris