PDA

View Full Version : No post with new memory

wrugoin
07-25-05, 08:46 PM
Hey all,

I just got my memory upgrade from Newegg today. 1GB (2x512mb) PC-3200 OCZ Gold, 2-2-2-5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211) kit. Unfortunately, I can't get my rig to boot with them installed.

Before installing, I went to the bios and set everything to default and shut down. I installed the new memory and hit power. I get 3 long beeps when the system powers on. No post, no boot. I put in my old memory and Iím fine.

I went to bios and adjusted my settings, and checked the DRAM voltage. It's set to auto, but only has three settings: 2.5v, 2.6v and 2.7v I found out through some research leading me to the mft's website that it needs 2.8v. I'm kind of upset because Newegg didn't have this info at all on it's website.

So my question is, will Ram not run at all on a Mobo that doesn't meet the voltage requirements? If set at 2.7v, is there any way to get this memory to run? And if not, do you think I have a case to get a swap for different memory because Newegg failed to give a voltage requirement on the purchase page while just about all their other memory clearly displays the Ram's needs?

Granted, I love Newegg. I shop there all the time and recommend them to others, but I feel this lack of information at least justifies them swapping the memory without the restocking fee for memory of equal value. I'd be glad to pay extra for memory that'll work on my system, but I'd be upset having to pay $21 to refund my memory and have to make another purchase. An equal swap seems fair. What do you think?

Riptide
07-25-05, 08:54 PM
I've ordered 3 kits of OCZ memory from newegg and two were defective right out of the box.

Try one stick at a time and see what happens. 2.7v should be enough to POST the system with.

wrugoin
07-25-05, 09:11 PM
I've ordered 3 kits of OCZ memory from newegg and two were defective right out of the box.

Try one stick at a time and see what happens. 2.7v should be enough to POST the system with.

THANKS RIP!

I didn't think to test each one individually, I was convinced it was a lack of voltage. But sure enough, I put one in the system, No boot, no post. I put the other in, and BEEP!, Posts fine, boots fine. Put the 1st one back in, no post, no boot. It looks like I have an RMA on my hands. Thank goodness I bought from Newegg and not some 2nd rate company. Although I'm upset I'm going to have to wait another week, at least I know my system can handle the memory until I upgrade to an Nforce4 mobo, and new CPU.

Thanks again

Rytr
07-25-05, 09:21 PM
This Vdimm thing is getting a little out of hand. This is the second instance I have seen about problems with new ram where the required voltage was 2.8V or better. The sellers should specify voltage reqs when they are this high.
2.7V might boot with one stick but I would just rma both and get what you need. Newegg will not charge a stocking fee if you call them and tell them your problem. You might have to talk to a supervisor but that should be all.

jAkUp
07-25-05, 09:42 PM
Yea 2.7v will probably be fine, you might have to relax the timings however.

Riptide
07-26-05, 01:40 AM
/sighs

Yet another bad OCZ kit from newegg. WTF.

wrugoin
07-26-05, 09:17 PM
/sighs

Yet another bad OCZ kit from newegg. WTF.

OK, now we have a different issue. I don't think it's the memory anymore, now I believe the one slot on the motherboard is crap. I put the memory that I determined was faluty into the 3rd slot.... and now I have the computer running with both installed. I put one of the sticks back into the bad slot, BAM, no post, no boot.....3 long beep codes. I think I might have a bad memory slot on my motherboard, or the memory controller is shot.

Anyhow, in the two good slots, my memory is running at 2.7v with timings at 2.5-3-3-6 instead of 2-2-2-5 and seems to be very stable. I ran 3DMark 03 and 05 three times each and never crashed or anything. (BTW, anyone have a good memory test to catch faulty memory?)

What sux is if I want to upgrade the motherboard... I'm looking at a new CPU and Videocard also. I can't see spending money to stay with Nforce2, and if I upgrade to A64 w/ Nforce4 mobo, I'll want to switch to PCI-e 16x video which is another $350 for the 6800GT. Oh well. :(

Rytr
07-26-05, 09:38 PM
http://www.memtest86.com/

rewt
07-26-05, 10:28 PM
By changing slots with the memory is it running dual channel?