PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 stock heatsinks

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
07-26-05, 08:59 AM
I've been thinking a LOT about getting a Venice 3000+ and the Epox 9NDA3+ nFORCE3 Ultra board (I can't afford nFORCE4 or a PCIe graphics card at the moment) and was just wondering how the stock HSFs performed.

Does anyone even use them? Or do we all just get a 100% copper beast which allows for max OCing?

npras42
07-26-05, 09:16 AM
I have Clawhammer 3200+ and I use the stock heatsink and get the OC below. That's S754 so it's a little different from what you're getting but it does the job. Biggest problem i'd say is the fan is really loud.

anzak
07-26-05, 09:19 AM
I'm guessing that it it ships with the same aluminum heatsink my 1.8Ghz Newcastle had. Despite its low RPM I'm able to overclock to 9*250 (2250) without it ever breaking 51 degrees under full load! This is a newcastle too, I'm sure a 90nm processor like the Venice would really have some overclocking headroom.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12691&stc=1

EDIT: I found an overclocking review of the 3000+ venice. It does ship ship with a very similar cooler to the one my my 2800+.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMjU1JnVybF9wYWdlPTM =

superklye
07-26-05, 09:45 AM
Sweet...that's pretty nice to know. I would probably end up getting an extreme "performance" heatsink anyway because I'm a tool like that.

It's between an A64 system and a DVD-Recorder-based 1200W 5.1 home theater system. I'm going to get them both, it's just a question of which I get first. And if I wait on the computer system, getting PCIe will be easier as prices keep coming down. The home theater...I have to wait for Best Buy to have a sale.

rflair
07-26-05, 09:58 AM
With a 3000+ S754 at 2.5GHz the stock heatsink was good for 56c full load in a warm room. It has a copper Zalman heatsink on it now which peaks at 48c full load. I thought the stock heatsink did an admiral job but this computer is on 24/7 and I'd rather have sub 50c temperatures.

|MaguS|
07-26-05, 10:19 AM
I can hit 2.6 easily if I run looser ram timings but I don't, Im still on stock cooling.

zoomy942
07-26-05, 03:01 PM
Sweet...that's pretty nice to know. I would probably end up getting an extreme "performance" heatsink anyway because I'm a tool like that.

It's between an A64 system and a DVD-Recorder-based 1200W 5.1 home theater system. I'm going to get them both, it's just a question of which I get first. And if I wait on the computer system, getting PCIe will be easier as prices keep coming down. The home theater...I have to wait for Best Buy to have a sale.

do you have a home theater now? if not, get that. if you do, go with the PC. actually, now that i think about it, go with the home theater, then save up and leap into PCIE (i finally did) and that way you are future proofed later on.

superklye
07-26-05, 03:28 PM
do you have a home theater now? if not, get that. if you do, go with the PC. actually, now that i think about it, go with the home theater, then save up and leap into PCIE (i finally did) and that way you are future proofed later on.
Nope, no Home Theater at the moment and the more I think about it, the more I want that right now. My current system, while not killer, it still holding up just fine so I can wait a few more months to upgrade. :)

zoomy942
07-26-05, 03:36 PM
Nope, no Home Theater at the moment and the more I think about it, the more I want that right now. My current system, while not killer, it still holding up just fine so I can wait a few more months to upgrade. :)

agreed. as much as you guys see me as a computer guy... my heart is 100 times more into home theaters/car audio (but not all that subwoofer in the trunk crap )

home theater it is

CaptNKILL
07-26-05, 03:45 PM
These things come with a great heatsink. Im running with a 700Mhz overclock and prime 95 only makes my temps raise to the mid-50s... playing bf2 for hours on end only gets it to the 51-52C range. Keep in mind that its been 90+ degrees here, so itl most likely run a even cooler during the fall and winter.

I have to say im extremely impressed with this heatsink\fan :)

fastguy94416
07-26-05, 03:53 PM
I just bought an X2 recently, they come with a half copper hs/f plus heatpipes! I was quite surprised. I didn't even use it though, just went to the XP-90.

superklye
07-26-05, 03:55 PM
These things come with a great heatsink. Im running with a 700Mhz overclock and prime 95 only makes my temps raise to the mid-50s... playing bf2 for hours on end only gets it to the 51-52C range. Keep in mind that its been 90+ degrees here, so itl most likely run a even cooler during the fall and winter.

I have to say im extremely impressed with this heatsink\fan :)
More than that, I'm impressed with how cool the chip runs, too. I love AMD. :)

And Zoom, I know what you mean. We had one at the old apt. last year. It was only 600W, but it still rocked. That roommate and I no longer live together, so he's got it at his new place.

This one I want is 1200W of awesome. The subwoofer alone is 300W (each satelite and the center channel are 180W) and that is more than my entire Z-5300 computer system. I love it. :)

It's only $600, too. I'm going to wait until Best Buy has another 10% off (or more) all home theaters sale and snag it up then.

zoomy942
07-26-05, 03:59 PM
More than that, I'm impressed with how cool the chip runs, too. I love AMD. :)

And Zoom, I know what you mean. We had one at the old apt. last year. It was only 600W, but it still rocked. That roommate and I no longer live together, so he's got it at his new place.

This one I want is 1200W of awesome. The subwoofer alone is 300W (each satelite and the center channel are 180W) and that is more than my entire Z-5300 computer system. I love it. :)

It's only $600, too. I'm going to wait until Best Buy has another 10% off (or more) all home theaters sale and snag it up then.

but remember one thing, (if you are home theater savvy - sorry - i dont want to seem like i am talking down to anyone) thats its not about the power alone. a 1200W system may move alot of air, but a better quality 600W may have a more crisp sound to it. and all this watts talk is marketing... it has a 300W sub right? that just means that you are using 300W if you turn it all the way up. how often do you do that? signal-to-noise ratio is really important and RMS wattage as well.

best of all, listen to it; see if you like the style; test the menus; see if it has lots of plugs and holes on the back. find things you like about other than the fact it has so many watts it will blow women's clothes off :)

superklye
07-26-05, 04:47 PM
Well, right, I know that watts arenít everything (just like MHz arenít), but this thing has a DVD/VCR combination as well as being a DVD-Recorder. Itís got a HELL of a lot of power and the front speakers are standingÖall of which are things I want. I want a great system, but not the end-all system. I am on a budget somewhat, and until Iím richer and more powerful, I want the best I can get for a reasonable amount of money.

Anyway, itís the LG LHY-518 and as far as I can tell, itís a Best Buy-exclusive. I havenít been able to find reviews of it anywhere, but man, it sounded AWESOME.

Rytr
07-26-05, 05:08 PM
Heatsinks that came with the 754-pin and 939-pin cpus that I have had did a good job other than being moderately loud. The XP-90 really dropped the temps on the 754. On the 939 the Akasa all aluminum performed better as identified in the review I did and was quieter.

superklye
07-26-05, 05:51 PM
Sweet...thanks for the input, Rytr!

superklye
07-26-05, 09:29 PM
After a lot of thought, I've decided it doesn't make much sense to drop an assload of cash on a home theater system right now. I'm in an apartment (on the first floor) and having a 1200W system would go unused. I think it would make more sense to get a $2-300 system with anywhere from 500-1000W and use that.

When I finally get into my own place where I can crank, then I'll put the money into a real good system.

Then I'll use the other part of the money to order a Venice 3000+ and the Epox 9NDA3+ and maybe 2GB of the corsair value ram i have now... :D

superklye
07-27-05, 11:17 PM
I just read that review you did Rytr...that HSF sounds frickin' awesome! I really want one...damn limeys!

I guess for now, I'll use the stock one and once this becomes available, I can definitely see myself dropping $20-25 for this. How did you manage to get one if it's in the UK only?

Rytr
07-27-05, 11:41 PM
3DCOOL.COM is planning on carrying the Akasa line and they had Akasa send me one to review. Actually, two, since I have been testing the hi-perf model AK913 that incorporates a heatpipe. Should be posted before long.

They ought to have them in stock before too long as they have an Akasa EVO 120 cooler listed.

Just purchased a 3700+ SD and plan to use the AK862 on it. ;)
BTW, it will be setting on EVGA's new NF4 SLi board that I will be reviewing.

superklye
07-27-05, 11:43 PM
3DCOOL.COM is planning on carrying the Akasa line and they had Akasa send me one to review. Actually, two, since I have been testing the hi-perf model AK913 that incorporates a heatpipe. Should be posted before long.

They ought to have them in stock before too long as they have an Akasa EVO 120 cooler listed.

Just purchased a 3700+ SD and plan to use the AK862 on it. ;)
BTW, it will be setting on EVGA's new NF4 SLi board that I will be reviewing.
Very nice! I look forward to the review. :)

Mith192
07-28-05, 12:57 AM
i am useing the stock cooler and have oced my 3000 to 3800 speed

LBJM
07-28-05, 02:14 AM
heat is bad! my cpu is at 35C oced to a mild 11x230 with my xp-120.

j0j081
07-28-05, 06:28 AM
After a lot of thought, I've decided it doesn't make much sense to drop an assload of cash on a home theater system right now. I'm in an apartment (on the first floor) and having a 1200W system would go unused. I think it would make more sense to get a $2-300 system with anywhere from 500-1000W and use that.

When I finally get into my own place where I can crank, then I'll put the money into a real good system.

Then I'll use the other part of the money to order a Venice 3000+ and the Epox 9NDA3+ and maybe 2GB of the corsair value ram i have now... :D
Pioneer makes some really good midrange systems. I know their high end stuff hasn't reviewed well lately but my setup sounds great compared to a few of my friends competing brands. It's a 540 model. 600 watts, 5 dvd changer, supports every mode you can think of. I like my movies loud and I barely ever have to reach half volume to be happy.

superklye
07-28-05, 03:16 PM
Pioneer makes some really good midrange systems. I know their high end stuff hasn't reviewed well lately but my setup sounds great compared to a few of my friends competing brands. It's a 540 model. 600 watts, 5 dvd changer, supports every mode you can think of. I like my movies loud and I barely ever have to reach half volume to be happy.
Sweet thanks! I'll do a little research...can you give me the price you paid and the exact model #?

Dudes__Geof_
07-28-05, 03:55 PM
just to give what i get for my amd 64 s939 3000+ running at 2.25ghz at 100% load its running 48įC-49įC steady

i love the amd stock heatsinks ^_^