PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 7800GTX Review

Danhill
07-26-05, 11:15 AM
So what did you guys think?? I know that many of you does not live in Europe, that way buying a Gainward card can be difficult.

I have played with this card for 2 weeks now and everything I play or do, it does that with ease. It is a difference between this and my old 6800GT(420/1200), something I didn't belive too much at first, specially with hdr enabled in FarCry and all other games at high resolution and lots of aa and af and the TAA, well I'm in love with it, its a awesome feature.

Gainward 7800GTX (http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Articles&go=read&arc_id=35)

$n][pErMan
07-26-05, 08:38 PM
Why oh why did they have to leave the US market... :( :(

Blast
07-26-05, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying one if you live in the US or Canada. Since they don't offer warranty to us. :thumbdwn:

5150 Joker
07-26-05, 09:48 PM
What's sad is Far Cry is older than BF 2 and still looks and plays better. Those HDR shots look nice.

keith33
07-26-05, 09:49 PM
It's bloody sad to see a good company that produced high-end cards go under in North America. I would sure as hell pick a Gainward over any MSI or XFX or Asus these days. I hope they realize that a lot of Americans and Canadians would buy their cards if they were widely available and they provided support. Imagine a GLH Edition Golden Sample 7800GTX, hand picked to hit 500 core stock :O.

keith33
07-26-05, 09:50 PM
What's sad is Far Cry is older than BF 2 and still looks and plays better. Those HDR shots look nice.

BF2 is the funnest game of all time. That's why they can get away with pretty decent graphics and ****ty optimization. They have a name legacy to back them up and sell copies. Bastards.

5150 Joker
07-26-05, 10:08 PM
BF2 is the funnest game of all time. That's why they can get away with pretty decent graphics and ****ty optimization. They have a name legacy to back them up and sell copies. Bastards.

Sigh it's the unfortunate side effect of the declining PC gaming market. While we're busy spending all this cash on expensive vid cards, there are hardly any good games out there to utilize them..truly disheartening.

angshuman
07-26-05, 10:25 PM
Sigh it's the unfortunate side effect of the declining PC gaming market. While we're busy spending all this cash on expensive vid cards, there are hardly any good games out there to utilize them..truly disheartening.

And that's why I sometimes love the concept of consoles... game developers do *not* get the free ride that they do on our 7800GTX's (until, of course, we have a console generation change, but that happens once in 5 years). They have to sit down, work hard and optimize the game. And sometimes they do a bloody good job -- look at Doom 3 and Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX (of course, we're talking 480p vs. 1600x1200 here, but still... it's a freaking Celeron 733 + GF3 for God's sake!)

On the PC side, I believe HL2 provides the most bang for the buck in terms of looks vs. demands. That is how every game should be. Unlike BF2. Unlike FarCry. And, heaven forbid, unlike Chronicles of Riddick. Game developers are getting a free ride from NVidia and ATi's fierce competition.

Oops! We're getting off topic :)

rasseru
07-26-05, 10:49 PM
best damn card i ever owned, the golden sample i had was.. it, like the OP says, just did stuff with ease..

hmm, apart from some offers that sound too good to be true, it seems they are:

GBP 400 = USD 700 :thumbdwn:

thats a ridiculous amount if you are looking at SLI. :(

ATI_Dude
07-27-05, 01:36 AM
It seems odd Gainward had had to fold in North America since the company is one of NVIDIA's closest partners. Gainward cards have long been some of the best, if not THE best NVIDIA cards on the market. Right now the Gainward GeForce 7800 GTX Golden Sample offers an unbeatable combination of price and performance compared to other brands that are sold in Europe.

ChrisRay
07-27-05, 01:49 AM

The Far Cry engine was pretty head of its time.

Danhill
07-27-05, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, and yes I agree Gaiwnard should start thinking about opening in USA and Canada again.

Lemur.fi
07-27-05, 05:17 AM
I have not bought a Gainward since their Ti-4200 64MB. Some of you who remember that one, might even understand why. ;)

Now the Gainward 7800GTX does look like a good choice because of the low price:
Normal version is 528 ($633/$519*) and the Golden sample is 563 ($675/$553*).

Hopefully there will be games soon that are actually worth playing. It might even give me a reason to upgrade.

*With and without Value Added Tax.

MUYA
07-27-05, 06:27 AM
Dan: I posted your review on the front page.

We do not allow self web pimpage here unless you have prior permission

MUYAThread Reopened

Danhill
07-27-05, 11:47 AM
I have not bought a Gainward since their Ti-4200 64MB. Some of you who remember that one, might even understand why. ;)

Now the Gainward 7800GTX does look like a good choice because of the low price:
Normal version is 528 ($633/$519*) and the Golden sample is 563 ($675/$553*).

Hopefully there will be games soon that are actually worth playing. It might even give me a reason to upgrade.

*With and without Value Added Tax.

Yes the price is high, probably higher then other brands, but then you wont get that insane speed with other brands. The BFG card seems to be a very good choise as well and they do have very good warranty conditions I've heard.

macatak
07-30-05, 12:45 AM
Gainward have two versions of the 7800GTX "GS", one clocked at 470MHz and the other at 490MHz

http://www.gainward.de/new/products/pcx/coolfx/comparison.html

http://www.gainward.de/new/products/pcx/ultra_3000/comparison.html

Tym
07-30-05, 02:01 AM
Gainward have two versions of the 7800GTX "GS", one clocked at 470MHz and the other at 490MHz
[...]

The 490MHz card belongs to the CoolFX series (watercooled), prices are usually insane ;-)

BTW, I consider myself lucky as Gainward cards are still available in Poland. This 7800GTX GS is my third GW product and I've been happy with all of them so far. Prices are good, build quality is excellent, and they offer three-year "door-to-door" warranty support. I hope they get back on the US/Canada market soon.

ATI_Dude
07-30-05, 05:53 AM
Unfortunately my 7800 GTX GS is going to be RMA'ed. In 3D apps the card displays visible artifacts (small patterns of flashing pixels) and the system locks up after 1-2 minutes. Hopefully I'll get at new card fast :)