PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks!!!

six_storm
07-26-05, 04:05 PM
Wow, they come out with new revised iBooks shortly after I buy mine . . . geez. I wasn't expecting them to update the iBooks this quickly though. Anyways, this is a pretty nice little package for the price, especially if you are considering a laptop hehe. Check it out:

www.apple.com/ibook

GlowStick
07-26-05, 04:17 PM
Yep, the biggist feature is they have a 9550 graphics chip to take advantage of their new osx.

Starscream
07-26-05, 04:26 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like a bad idea to by one of the power pc based machines with the Intel stuff on the way?

six_storm
07-26-05, 04:29 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like a bad idea to by one of the power pc based machines with the Intel stuff on the way?

IMO, no. The public (or at least I haven't) hasn't really seen what real benefit(s) Intel can bring to Apple machine. But this is supposed to be a huge transision according to Steve Jobs so I dunno. But it is still a nice laptop though!

Starscream
07-26-05, 07:53 PM
But you're essentially buying into dead end hardware.

Will mac software that's native to intel machines work on these old macs?

six_storm
07-27-05, 02:12 AM

Will mac software that's native to intel machines work on these old macs?

According to Jobs, every version of OSX has been able to run on both PPC and Intel based machines since OSX first came out. Check out the WWDC 05 video and it explains more.

retsam
07-27-05, 02:54 AM
According to Jobs, every version of OSX has been able to run on both PPC and Intel based machines since OSX first came out. Check out the WWDC 05 video and it explains more. so another words there are two versions of there kernal ... one for mac(ppc) and one for intel(x86) .... the only way they can get software to work from ppc to x86 would be to use emulation....

saturnotaku
07-27-05, 07:06 AM
They've also updated the Mini lineup to include standard on all models 512 MB RAM, wireless and a Superdrive without raising the bottom line. $499 for the base 1.25 GHz processor with that equipment is pretty darn good.

six_storm
07-27-05, 11:36 AM
so another words there are two versions of there kernal ... one for mac(ppc) and one for intel(x86) .... the only way they can get software to work from ppc to x86 would be to use emulation....

Exactly. It's an emulation technology called Rosetta. Rosetta allows any PPC based apps run on a Mactel. The WWDC 05 KeyNote explains it all.

I'm surprised that they didn't give a better upgrade to the Minis! Why not give out a better graphics card as well? Whenever they upgrade it even further, I'll prolly wind up buying one.

Starscream
07-27-05, 04:25 PM
Exactly. It's an emulation technology called Rosetta. Rosetta allows any PPC based apps run on a Mactel. The WWDC 05 KeyNote explains it all.

Ok but what about the other way around? You're saying to buy a PPC machine after all. I see absolutely no point to buy this dead end hardware if it won't actually be able to run anything after a while.

jnd3
07-27-05, 04:48 PM
Dang. The 12.1" iBook is as good as my PowerBook now. Actually, the ATI 9550 is probably a little better than the GeForceFX 5200Go that comes on the PowerBook (at least I've got 64MB of video memory on it versus the 32MB on the iBook). Sheesh.

superklye
07-27-05, 05:11 PM
Yeah, well, that didn't stop people from buying Socket 754.

This thing will be fine for a while, I'm sure. Isn't all that Intel stuff still some time off? I mean, most companies are going to have a long road ahead converting everything to work on the Intel cores.

superklye
07-27-05, 05:21 PM
They've also updated the Mini lineup to include standard on all models 512 MB RAM, wireless and a Superdrive without raising the bottom line. $499 for the base 1.25 GHz processor with that equipment is pretty darn good.
EDIT: duh, nevermind. I completely skimmed over the "Mini" part. My bad.

Sigh. I want a decent laptop for $500 or less, and I can't seem to find one anywhere. :(

Subtestube
07-27-05, 05:33 PM
Hah.. Saturn is pointing to the new Mac Mini - which was also updated the other day. Not iBooks.

Link (http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html)

EDIT: I see you got there first. Oh well.. the link's here now.

Starscream
07-27-05, 10:11 PM
Yeah, well, that didn't stop people from buying Socket 754.

Well it should have, the fact that socket 754 was a dead end platform from the start certainly stopped me from having any interest in selling those boards to my customers.

superklye
07-27-05, 10:18 PM
Well it should have, the fact that socket 754 was a dead end platform from the start certainly stopped me from having any interest in selling those boards to my customers.
Heh, good. I'm glad. I've been anti-754 since it's inception, and people defending it is just laughable.

six_storm
07-28-05, 12:25 AM
Ok but what about the other way around? You're saying to buy a PPC machine after all. I see absolutely no point to buy this dead end hardware if it won't actually be able to run anything after a while.

Well, it's just like I said in an earlier post. No real benefit has been shown with Apple switching to Intel (or at least I haven't seen a real benefit). Until Apple can show the public how much "better" Mactels are, I'm not buying this whole "holding out for another year to buy a Mactel" bit.

These new iBooks are a pretty nice package (not to mention a deal) for a Apple laptop. It kinda makes me wish I would've bought a Powerbook cuz now my iBook is old :( JK!!! I still love my iBook to death, use the hell out of it.

Starscream
07-28-05, 02:21 AM
Well, it's just like I said in an earlier post. No real benefit has been shown with Apple switching to Intel (or at least I haven't seen a real benefit). Until Apple can show the public how much "better" Mactels are, I'm not buying this whole "holding out for another year to buy a Mactel" bit.

These new iBooks are a pretty nice package (not to mention a deal) for a Apple laptop. It kinda makes me wish I would've bought a Powerbook cuz now my iBook is old :( JK!!! I still love my iBook to death, use the hell out of it.

It doesn't matter how much they will/won't benefit people. Intel based macs are the inevitable future, this stuff no longer matters. These are old products that will be phased out. Buying one of these would be like buying a beta vcr KNOWING that VHS will soon be the standard.

I'm still curious to know if this OLD stuff will run the software for the new Intel macs or not. Nobody's answered that question. Does the rosetta software go both ways?

six_storm
07-28-05, 02:43 PM
It doesn't matter how much they will/won't benefit people. Intel based macs are the inevitable future, this stuff no longer matters. These are old products that will be phased out. Buying one of these would be like buying a beta vcr KNOWING that VHS will soon be the standard.

I'm still curious to know if this OLD stuff will run the software for the new Intel macs or not. Nobody's answered that question. Does the rosetta software go both ways?

True, but even my iBook G4 will last me at least 5 years (hopefully without any hardware probs). It will still be good even when the Mactels come out. I honestly wouldn't buy the first few Mactels just because of possible bugs/defects and that sort of thing. So I guess I'm trying to say that even buying a new iBook today will last you for a long while, it's not like you have to wait around for Mactels.

As far as Rosetta working both ways, I dunno on that one. On the keynote, Jobs just says that Rosetta is an emulator to run PPC apps on Mactels. But in a way, I'm guessing that new software will work on both PPC and Intel based Macs. Just my 2 cents though . . .

Starscream
07-28-05, 03:02 PM
As far as Rosetta working both ways, I dunno on that one. On the keynote, Jobs just says that Rosetta is an emulator to run PPC apps on Mactels. But in a way, I'm guessing that new software will work on both PPC and Intel based Macs. Just my 2 cents though . . .

I'd just like to point out that that sure didn't happen with the 68k's. Remember the whole 68k to PPC conversion where none of the PPC software actually worked on the old macs? I don't see this situation being any different.

Fox5
07-30-05, 01:39 PM
Any software that uses the Altivec won't work.

However, many programs have dual binaries so they can run natively on Intel or IBM.