PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Evga 6800nu BIOS - HELP?

GodzillaFan
07-26-05, 09:33 PM
Hi guys, been a long time.

I just got me a 6800nu, unlocked the pipes and overclocked. Now my temps are high and I read that one can voltmod the card with bios flash. SO I ordered a waterblock for the card.
I went ahead and did the voltmod, (read bios with nvflash, edited with NiBiTorv23, and reflashed) but Im getting no change!! rivatuner still reads COREVID = 1, no change in temps and no change in oc ability.

I tried edited bios with several editors, and flashing several times with different versions of nvflash... nothing. the bios is changed, i had nvflash read my flashed bios and compare it to my factory one. but im not getting a change in voltage!!

what am I doing wrong? - help otherwise I wasted $40 on this waterblock!

jimmor
07-27-05, 05:13 AM
Hi guys, been a long time.

I just got me a 6800nu, unlocked the pipes and overclocked. Now my temps are high and I read that one can voltmod the card with bios flash. SO I ordered a waterblock for the card.
I went ahead and did the voltmod, (read bios with nvflash, edited with NiBiTorv23, and reflashed) but Im getting no change!! rivatuner still reads COREVID = 1, no change in temps and no change in oc ability.

I tried edited bios with several editors, and flashing several times with different versions of nvflash... nothing. the bios is changed, i had nvflash read my flashed bios and compare it to my factory one. but im not getting a change in voltage!!

what am I doing wrong? - help otherwise I wasted $40 on this waterblock!

Read the linked thread,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48895

rewt
07-27-05, 07:27 AM
Does nibitorv23 read the volts properly? I can't seem to get to mavke's site atm..

jimmor
07-27-05, 02:26 PM
Does nibitorv23 read the volts properly? I can't seem to get to mavke's site atm..

If you are talking about 68xx bioses, then NiBiTor v2.3 reads the volts same as for earlier version.

And the ongoing problem of gpu volts lookup tables of 6800 bioses not being set up properly is actually a manufacturer problem, and therefore nothing to do with NiBiTor. For NiBiTor to properly check and set gpu volts table, and repair badly set Performance Level Indicator values, it would have to think like a human being using a hex editor. And that just isn't going to happen. So occasionally when wanting to bios voltmod, or properly run seperate 2D/3D modes, etc, it will still likely be necessary to manually mod some bioses with a hex editor.

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 02:38 PM
I found the problem. turns out that rivatuner messed with my drivers when I enabled driver level overlclocking and put the card in what I have deemed 'ghetto mode'
even after disabling this in r/t. after reinstalling drivers volts went to 1.4.

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 02:40 PM
After reading that thread, im gonna set my timings to

Timing0 = 060A150A
Timing1 = 06010305
Timing2 = 00240306

like you posted there, Jimmor. any probs with this? im also gonna vmod vdd and vddq.

jimmor
07-27-05, 03:12 PM
After reading that thread, im gonna set my timings to

Timing0 = 060A150A
Timing1 = 06010305
Timing2 = 00240306

like you posted there, Jimmor. any probs with this? im also gonna vmod vdd and vddq.

Since you have a 6800nu which likely uses 2.5ns memory chips, you may find the Timing1 string to be a bit too aggressive for your card ?

However, give the above timings a try. And then try Timing1 at 06010306 or maybe even 06010307. This should help with overclocking stability.

Mind you, it is always good to keep in mind, that although relaxing the timing will likely increase overclocks, it will also have a hit on performance. So in effect it is just the best combination of timings/overclocks that you are trying to achieve !

And if going to hard vmod the memory voltage, then it is best to stay under 3V.

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 03:52 PM
Well I got up to 911mhz on the memory (for 375/911) from 850 on stock timings. ran 3dmark and only gained 100 points! that was with a few artifacts, too. mabye I should go back to stock timings...

still on stock voltage btw.

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 03:58 PM
I have an idea. Here are my stock timings:

Timing0 = 050A1110
Timing1 = 05010407
Timing2 = 00240305

can you give me some step-up (one-two steps relaxed) timing values for each of these?

jimmor
07-27-05, 04:02 PM
Well I got up to 911mhz on the memory (for 375/911) from 850 on stock timings. ran 3dmark and only gained 100 points! that was with a few artifacts, too. mabye I should go back to stock timings...

still on stock voltage btw.

To get real benefit from your card it is necessary to also set 3D volts at 1.4 and then overclock core to around 420. This change, along with the timing mod will achieve very good increased performance from your card.

jimmor
07-27-05, 04:09 PM
I have an idea. Here are my stock timings:

Timing0 = 050A1110
Timing1 = 05010407
Timing2 = 00240305

can you give me some step-up (one-two steps relaxed) timing values for each of these?

Its not that straight forward !

When making changes, it is necessary to not only allow for increase in overclocking, but also minimise the losses caused by relaxing certain timings. And the timings I have posted allow for both of these effects.

However feel free to make some of your own changes and hopefully post test results, as all this information is good for anybody else wanting to improve performance of their 6800nu cards.

Of course you could also try flashing with one of the moded bioses in the linked thread below. The ASUS6800gt 128MB AGP DDR bios works well with many cards. Like it or not, some bioses just happen to work more stable than others.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48895

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 04:10 PM
thanks alot!

im getting 82C in the HDR demo currently, so im gonna have to wait to overclock the core more after I get the h2o block.

still got a few artifacts at mem = 906.75, but got 4813...

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 04:11 PM
Its not that straight forward !

When making changes, it is necessary to not only allow for increase in overclocking, but also minimise the losses caused by relaxing certain timings. And the timings I have posted allow for both of these effects.

Ok I see what you mean. ill try your suggestion and relax my timing 1 from your timings and see if that helps me get higher (hopefully ~915) without artifacts.

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 04:33 PM
relaxed timing1 375/906.75 still... artifacts went down, score went up... 4857 ... interesting! this is getting too tedious, ill try one more setting and just wait to voltmod/wc it... thanks for the help!

jimmor
07-27-05, 05:00 PM
relaxed timing1 375/906.75 still... artifacts went down, score went up... 4857 ... interesting! this is getting too tedious, ill try one more setting and just wait to voltmod/wc it... thanks for the help!

If like for many 6800nu's, your card is actually using 2.5ns memory chips, then even 900 is a very good overclock; since 2.5ns equates to DDR of 800MHz. So it is possible that 906'ish is your max, and therefore you just need to make things a bit more stable with slight increases in timing1 values along the lines that I suggested.

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 05:18 PM
set 06010307 for timing1, and the card would no longer post video!!! :eek: :eek:

god thing i remembered the keystrokes and flashed back to factory.

now im back and gonna try 903mhz for memory hopefully will be artifact free and +120 3dmarks over stock timings. im gonna leave it at that.. no more timing changing ;)

I figure the relaxed timings will negativly affect 3dmark05 more then games because its so shader intensive and likely more latency intensive then games.

looked at the pcb with the board out... that IC is SMALL!! how the hell do you soldier that little chip for the volt mod? /rethinks voltmodding vmem

thanks for the help! :afro2:

jimmor
07-27-05, 05:35 PM
looked at the pcb with the board out... that IC is SMALL!! how the hell do you soldier that little chip for the volt mod? /rethinks voltmodding vmem

There is a hard vmod of 6800le/nu memory volts that allows you to fit a resistor between existing holes in the pcb,

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=970006&postcount=358

GodzillaFan
07-27-05, 07:19 PM
any point in the cap mod for the nu?

jimmor
07-28-05, 05:32 AM
any point in the cap mod for the nu?

Never found cap mod did anything for my Leadtek A400le. So, any gains for your situation maybe depends on whether your manufacturer used rubbish capacitors on your card ?

GodzillaFan
07-28-05, 07:13 PM
Never found cap mod did anything for my Leadtek A400le. So, any gains for your situation maybe depends on whether your manufacturer used rubbish capacitors on your card ?

ok did vmem... went from 2.555 to 2.75 volts for vmem, no cap mod, modded bios for 1.5v core... oh and watercooled it. :)

now im maxed out at 432/931 rivatuner wont go higher, cant use rivatuner to o/c because of previous posting and coolbits nvidia control panel fails all tests.... how can I go higher??

btw I picked up 21 mhz on the core just from watercooling, before the voltage increase.

jimmor
07-29-05, 05:24 AM
ok did vmem... went from 2.555 to 2.75 volts for vmem, no cap mod, modded bios for 1.5v core... oh and watercooled it. :)

now im maxed out at 432/931 rivatuner wont go higher, cant use rivatuner to o/c because of previous posting and coolbits nvidia control panel fails all tests.... how can I go higher??

btw I picked up 21 mhz on the core just from watercooling, before the voltage increase.

For overclocking with Coolbits or Rivatuner, it is necessary to ENABLE the "DisableInternalClockTest" option via the "Power User" tab and "Overclocking" sub section of the Rivatuner internal database. Doing this simply means that you are back to the original overclocking method of a human being making small increases in speeds, then backing off slightly when artifacts are noticed.

Your original 2.55v for memory seems a bit low, since my card originally measured about 2.7. And why did you stop at 2.75, would have thought 2.8-2.85 would have been better option. With its current 2.82v, my card's memory max's around 960.

And since there is no 1.5v bios option, not sure what you are currently running gpu at. Why not measure it directly on pcb ??

GodzillaFan
07-29-05, 02:06 PM
NiBiTor 2.3 has an option to select VID = 3 or 1.5v, rivatuner shows same thing.

It may not be really 1.5, but I do know that it gave me an extra ~20mhz on the core.

I increased the vdimm to ~2.82 and flashed the bios to overclock, running

433.5/945

running the HDR demo, the memory gets quite hot, now that they are only passivly cooled (waterblock replaced fan) so Ill stick with 945 on the mem and just step up the voltage slightly if I see an artifact.

all this got me 5400 on '05 so i should be happy given that stock 6800nu scored in the 3000's :)

jimmor
07-29-05, 06:25 PM
NiBiTor 2.3 has an option to select VID = 3 or 1.5v, rivatuner shows same thing.

It may not be really 1.5, but I do know that it gave me an extra ~20mhz on the core.

I increased the vdimm to ~2.82 and flashed the bios to overclock, running

433.5/945

running the HDR demo, the memory gets quite hot, now that they are only passivly cooled (waterblock replaced fan) so Ill stick with 945 on the mem and just step up the voltage slightly if I see an artifact.

all this got me 5400 on '05 so i should be happy given that stock 6800nu scored in the 3000's :)

Because the 1.4v option of the 6800le and nu bios is usually wrongly set by the manufacturer, NiBiTor unfortunately then identifies the next increase as 1.5v. Therefore in reality, your bioses apparent 1.5v (VID 3) setting is actually setting the GPU at 1.4 volts.

Your new 945 is a good overclock, but not recommended when only passively cooling the memory chips. Maybe you could set a fan to force air accross them.

And you should certainly be happy, since 5400 is a very good score for a 6800nu !

GodzillaFan
07-29-05, 08:15 PM
so I was actually running 1.3 when I thought I was running 1.4, too?
oh well, im not gonna mod anymore, thats why i flashed the bios for my oc... gonna delete all these tweaking progs. I need to stop messing with it! thanks for the help!

edit: yup im gonna setup an 80mm fan on the card. thanks again!

jimmor
07-30-05, 11:03 AM
so I was actually running 1.3 when I thought I was running 1.4, too?
oh well, im not gonna mod anymore, thats why i flashed the bios for my oc... gonna delete all these tweaking progs. I need to stop messing with it! thanks for the help!

edit: yup im gonna setup an 80mm fan on the card. thanks again!

No prob's, glad to help where I can !

Apart from directly measuring gpu volts on the pcb, the only way to know that the 6800LE and NU bios GPU Volts Lookup Table contains correct vales is to compare with those below,

6E00 = 1.1v
7801 = 1.2v
8202 = 1.3v
8C03 = 1.4v

And definately a good idea to use 80mm fan for cooling the memory chips.