PDA

View Full Version : Asus A7N8X Deluxe, no sound whatsoever.

Mike89
12-21-02, 12:12 AM
Man I'm so bummed right now.

I just got my Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (BIOS 1001.G) and AMD XP 2800+ today. Everything installed perfectly. I popped it in, set the timing at 2,2,2,5, sync 166, booted from Windows XP CD, repaired, re-installed SP1, installed motherboard drivers and I was up and running. Systems works fine EXCEPT

No God Dam sound! I mean none, nada, not even a crackle.

I have tried every speaker configuration I can think of, 4 speakers, two speakers, just headphones and nothing.

I have checked Device Manager and everything I clicked on said everything was working properly.

When playing any kind of sound, I can see the meters responding in the Nvidia Control Panel but no sound.

Man I can't believe this. Looks like I may have got a motherboard with a bad sound chip or something.

If anyone can think of anything for me to try, I'm all ears.

SavagePaladin
12-21-02, 03:16 AM
You're sure the sound is installed right? A7N8X uses their own setup for the audio, which means the driver won't install right. You get to install it manually!
Whee.

Or use ASUS drivers instead of NVs.

anxdiety
12-21-02, 03:51 AM
are you speakers plugged in and turned on? sometimes its just the littlest of things that you can miss that farks it all up

Mike89
12-21-02, 01:19 PM
Yes I'm sure I have the speakers hooked up right.
For 2 speakers or headphones, it's line out (lime).
For 4 speakers it's line out (lime) for front and surround l/r (violet) for rear speakers.

Then just configure whatever speaker setup in the Nvidia Control Panel.

There was nothing at all to installing the drivers. Just pop the Asus CD in and there is only 2 choices to choose for drivers. The USB drivers and the Nforce2 drivers.

I ran the Direct X sound tests and it says everthing is working properly even though I can't hear a thing.

Nothing amiss in Device Manager, according to it, every component is happy as a clam. Jeez.

According to all the tests and settings, the computer thinks the sound is fine. Problem is the human says BS!

Man and machine can't come to an agreement here.

The connectors are insulated by metal boxes around the plugs (looking from motherboard side) so I can't see a thing. I wonder is everything is fine except something didn't get connected right at the plugs themselves.

I have already fired an email to Asus. There tech support is not very good so no telling how long I'll have to wait for a response.

navek
12-21-02, 05:15 PM
In the nForce audio Control Panel's Speaker Setup tab, is the Analog Output checkbox checked?

Mike89
12-21-02, 05:46 PM
Yes, Analog out is checked. I've tried Analog, Digital, Analog and Digitial together.

I can click play for one of the midi or wav files, the output meter is working but no sound is coming.

I've been working on this since last night, trying everything I can think of but just no sound.

I can not come up with any conclusion except a bad motherboard.

scott123
12-21-02, 05:48 PM
Did you enable the Audio in the bios? (set it to auto)

SavagePaladin
12-21-02, 08:22 PM
I can say there could be lots of reasons. Try newer drivers from ASUS site, make sure dolby encoding is off (since you don't appear to have DD speakers) and I don't know what else to tell you.

nforcershq may be able to help you, but when dealing with user support, always expect a lot of inane responses

poursoul
12-21-02, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Mike89
Yes, Analog out is checked. I've tried Analog, Digital, Analog and Digitial together.

I can click play for one of the midi or wav files, the output meter is working but no sound is coming.

I've been working on this since last night, trying everything I can think of but just no sound.

I can not come up with any conclusion except a bad motherboard.

It may not just be a software prob. sometimes there is an analog as well as a digital port, like SBLive! Sorry i couldn't be more help, but all the good stuff is already taken.

OH YEAH! Have you tried rebooting. <----- J/K :D

eL_PuSHeR
12-22-02, 06:05 AM
Have you tried volume mixer/control? Could it be muted? Or too low? Sometimes, we don't see the stupidiest things.

Mike89
12-22-02, 01:10 PM
Yes the AC97 sound in BIOS is set to Auto. No, nothing is muted in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I even tried the newer Nforce drivers from the Nvidia site which are newer than the ones on the Asus CD. The one thing I have found I don't like about the drivers from the Nvidia site is they are all in one package meaning if you use those it also installs video drivers (40.72) with it. I didn't care for that at all. Why Nvidia doesn't just make the driver package for the Nforce2 alone is rather stupid to me cause some might not want to also install vid drivers.

Well bottom line is, still no sound at all. I have already got an RMA number from Newegg and it looks like I will take everything apart (again) and send it back to them tomorrow (Monday) for a replacement.

Believe you me, I sure don't want to have to do that but I just don't see any other options. Bummer.

SavagePaladin
12-22-02, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike89
Why Nvidia doesn't just make the driver package for the Nforce2 alone is rather stupid to me cause some might not want to also install vid drivers.

nforce2 IS coming with a IGP option...if it hasn't by now.
Personally, I'm a little sick of this 'bundle everything' mentality...I'm even starting to like web downloaders (directx 9 - 9 megs instead of 32...NV could certainly do something like that)

Mike89
12-23-02, 01:00 PM
Yeah, if Nvidia won't do an Nforce2 driver package without the vid drivers, at least they could include an option during installation asking if one wants to also install the vid drivers. The way it is now, it just installs them without any notice at all.

Well I sent my motherboard back to Newegg this morning. Check out what I did last night. I had it all in the box ready to go and I'm still tripping on this.

When I had originally put the motherboard in, I hooked everything up, set up the BIOS, had the Windows CD in drive and booted from CD. I then chose to Repair. This wipes the Device Manager clean and installs the components from scratch. This is a good way of doing this because all other stuff remains in tact.

Well this tripping mind of mine start wondering if it could be possible that something got screwed up during the repair and if my sound problems might be a Windows deal.

So my tweaking head did this. I took the mb back out of the box, put everything back together again, booted up and this time I did a complete format and clean install of Windows XP Pro.

I get everything going and, with my fingers crossed, started messing with the sound again.

Guess what? NO DAM SOUND!

So I took a gamble and lost. Now besides putting the new motherboard back in when I get the replacement, now I also have to set up all my stuff all over again.

*&)($#@*&%$!)*(&$%^#@!%^&*()_^%#!

Mike89
12-27-02, 01:20 AM
Well I figured out what the problem is but I still don't know how to fix it.

I got another A7N8X motherboard and still no sound. I then pulled out the modem (56K Lucent winmodem) and sound was there.

What a trip this is. The A7N8X has a speech that tells you problems at bootup instead of beeps. When it was booting up, I heard the speech for the first time.

The modem works fine but it's either having dialup and no sound or sound and no dialup.

The Bios has a AC97 modem controller option in the BIOS. I have had it both disabled and Auto. Neither makes a difference.

When XP installs the drivers for the winmodem it also installs a wave driver. Disabling it has no effect either.

This problem doesn't appear to be a driver issue because like I said, the speech is heard during post before the OS even kicks in. Modem in, speech out. Modem out, speech in.

Now the question is, what the hell do I do now?

anxdiety
12-27-02, 01:48 AM
Go out and get something that isn't a winmodem. Winmodems eat up performance anyways.

SavagePaladin
12-27-02, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by anxdiety
Go out and get something that isn't a winmodem. Winmodems eat up performance anyways.
Yes but you're forgetting one word. CHEAP.
Who wants to spend over 60 for a friggin 56k modem? not I.

I'm stuck with my USR winmodem for a while, I'd say.

RM. Andersson
12-27-02, 05:48 PM
I installed the ordinary Nvidia drivers version 2.00 and the sound is working.
So it seems like it is OK to use them.

Regards!