PDA

View Full Version : VT8237 and sata2

rohit
07-27-05, 02:22 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24910
Well, the current s939 mobos' with VIA K8t800pro chipsets come with this VT8237 South Bridge
- 2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
- 2 x Serial ATA, support RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD. So sata2 wont work. My
So Sata2 wont work with 'em.

Now, my mobo also has the Promise Controller
Promise 20378 RAID controller
- 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
- 2 x Serial ATA
- Support RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and Multiple RAID
so will Sata2 work on this promise controller?

Riptide
07-27-05, 03:44 PM
I would check Promise's website.

SATAII is overrated anyway. What good does it do? The bottleneck is still the speed of the drives much moreso than the bus.

zoomy942
07-27-05, 04:05 PM

SATAII is overrated anyway. What good does it do? The bottleneck is still the speed of the drives much moreso than the bus.

agreed. available thru-put is great, but we will always be held back by the mechanical parts within the drive

rohit
07-27-05, 04:45 PM

I agree, but just in case, if i had the option of buying new Hard disk, and had a choice between sata2 and sata, with marginal price difference, i would go with sata2.

now i have to think twice, VIA south bridge doesnt support, Promise 20378 ?

Riptide
07-27-05, 04:56 PM
Check the Promise website. It should have information on that controller, it is after all their product.

rohit
07-27-05, 05:19 PM
Check the Promise website. It should have information on that controller, it is after all their product.
that was the first thing i did, but the site didnt mention anything. i googled, no info on it.

Riptide
07-27-05, 06:24 PM
OK first of all you're right - and I'm disappointed in Promise's website. Piss poor product information. If it's there, it's a PITA to find it.

I found out I happen to be using that controller on the wife's Asus A8V. I am 99.9% certain that it is SATA150 and not SATAII. That said, I am unaware of any announcements similar to the VT8237 stating that it is incompatible with SATAII drives. Theoretically you should be able to hook a SATAII drive up to it and it should work.

rohit
07-28-05, 02:08 PM
That said, I am unaware of any announcements similar to the VT8237 stating that it is incompatible with SATAII drives. Theoretically you should be able to hook a SATAII drive up to it and it should work.
Check out the #1 post of this thread, according to inquirer, VIA officially announced, VT8237 and VT8237R wont support SATA2. so VIA will develop a new "VT8237 Plus" which will support SATA2, and the future mobo's based on VIA chipsets will use VT8237+ as south bridge.
now, the south bridge on nforce mobo's that are sata compatible, will be able to use sata2 (as far as i know).
So i was thinking, the the Promise controller on my mobo, which supports SATA Raid, should also support sata2.

Riptide
07-28-05, 02:23 PM
Check out the #1 post of this thread, according to inquirer, VIA officially announced, VT8237 and VT8237R wont support SATA2.
If you read my post again you'll notice I didn't say any different. ;)

"It" meant the Promise.

So i was thinking, the the Promise controller on my mobo, which supports SATA Raid, should also support sata2.
It will be compatible with it most likely yes.

rohit
07-28-05, 02:28 PM
If you read my post again you'll notice I didn't say any different
i was reading on r520 thing, and so i read only a few lines of your post.
It will be compatible with it most likely yes.
Hopefully yes, coz i had cursed asus of not making a cheaper A8V non-deluxe mobo earlier, without the promise controller.
now, i am glad i got the deluxe one. but the sata2 thing and promise controller needs to be confirmed.