PDA

View Full Version : nv4_disp.dll infinite loop BSOD with single 7800GTX

Pages : [1] 2

nitromullet
07-27-05, 03:34 PM
Everything works fine and the performance is great until I enable transparent 8xS SSAA in the nV control planel. In HL2 I get a nv4_disp.dll infinite loop BSOD, and with WoW the system just hangs when I attempt to load the game with these settings. Either game runs fanatastic with transparent 4x SSAA, so I am kinda leaning towards this being a driver issue, but who knows...

I run a single 7800GTX, A64 X2 4200+, Enermax EG701AX Noisetaker 600W, and an Asus A8N-SLI Premium with BIOS ver. 1005 (latest non-beta release). I have tried both the beta 77.76's and the WHQL 77.72's, and the problem persists. I am considering purchasing another 7800GTX eventually to run SLI, but I would like to get this straightened out before I do.

I have seen other posts on here about similar issues with X2 cpu's in SLI, but none with a single card.

I appreciate any assistance.

OWA
07-27-05, 03:41 PM
I'll test this for you. Do you get it immediately or do you have to play it for a while (HL2 since I don't own WoW).

Edit: Also, you're setting it in the HL2 profile, right?

aZn_plyR
07-27-05, 03:55 PM
I dont think u need a profile for a single card..

OWA
07-27-05, 04:11 PM
Okay, it seemed to work okay for me but I just played around on the opening level. I set the HL2 profile to 8xS for AA, 16xAF, and turned on SuperSampling transparency. I think I left off the gamma correction though.

Also, I think there are known problems when using the SS transparency. Look at ChrisRay's new AA investigation. I think he documents the issues with HL2 although I'm pretty sure it's just missing textures or something like that and not BSOD.

OWA
07-27-05, 04:16 PM
Okay, one more thing. I had a lot of general stability problems but after I installed the AMD drivers for the X2 CPU, things have been completely stable. Most of my problems occurred in games.

nitromullet
07-27-05, 04:22 PM
I'll test this for you. Do you get it immediately or do you have to play it for a while (HL2 since I don't own WoW).

Edit: Also, you're setting it in the HL2 profile, right?
Thanks. I get it immediately. HL2 won't even load... It hangs for a bit, and then BSOD. I am doing it from the nV control panel with the profile. It only happens with 8xS transparent super sampling AA.

I dont think u need a profile for a single card..
You don't need the profile, but it is convenient if you play different games with different settings. By default, I think that the nv drivers just allow the application to control all the settings, but with different profiles you can force certain settings in the driver. Changing the settings via the control panel is necessary in this case, since no app (at least to my knowledge) has the option for transparent SSAA.

nitromullet
07-27-05, 04:24 PM
Yeah, the HL2 texture issue was apparently fixed in the newest beta driver. What is this X2 driver? I wasn't aware of a cpu driver...

nitromullet
07-27-05, 04:28 PM
Found this link...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

I'll give that a try when I get home, and post back.

*nitromullet crosses fingers*

nitromullet
07-27-05, 06:24 PM
no dice... I installed the AMD driver, and still I get the BSOD...

Kickus_assius
07-27-05, 06:39 PM
Only time I get this error with my 6800GT is when the CPU is overclocked too much.

nitromullet
07-27-05, 09:47 PM
Only time I get this error with my 6800GT is when the CPU is overclocked too much.
no oc on the cpu... No issues with any levels of AA that a 6800GT can do... Just the 8x trans SSAA. Rock stable on every other setting... Plays HL2 like a champ at 4x trans SSAA...

Interesting though that everyone seems to indicate that it might be a cpu issue. I wonder if a BIOS update might help...?

I have considered getting a second card to run in SLI. Of course, I could test out the other card as a single card as well. If it works, I'll RMA the card I have, if not, I know it's not the card and I'll work from there.

ChrisRay
07-27-05, 10:39 PM
Okay, it seemed to work okay for me but I just played around on the opening level. I set the HL2 profile to 8xS for AA, 16xAF, and turned on SuperSampling transparency. I think I left off the gamma correction though.

Also, I think there are known problems when using the SS transparency. Look at ChrisRay's new AA investigation. I think he documents the issues with HL2 although I'm pretty sure it's just missing textures or something like that and not BSOD.

No BSOD.. and newer drivers should resolve the issues with transparency super sampling.

nitromullet
07-28-05, 10:25 AM
Interesting... No one else has had even a remotely similar experience. This is weird too becuase it runs excellent at every other setting. I wonder if it's my card..?

nitromullet
07-29-05, 08:06 AM
Update (if anyone is reading this thread)... I picked up a second 7800GTX, abd tried it out as a single card first. The problem persists, and it doesn't appear to be the card. Needless to say, running two cards in SLI didn't fix the problem.

saturnotaku
07-29-05, 08:22 AM
This may be a longshot, but have you tried running with only 1 GB of RAM installed? That's the only difference I notice between your system, OWA's and ChrisRay's. If using the drivers that work perfectly for them don't work for you, there may be some other issue here.

lowdog
07-29-05, 11:49 PM
Believe me, your hardware is not faulty.

This nv_disp infinite loop bsod is an issue caused by mobo bios/vid card drivers.

Absolution
07-30-05, 12:13 AM
sorry, but i have no solution, but while testing my friends new comp that i built him (x2 single 7800 gtx) while playing hl2 and transparent aa on, i did run into a bsod as well so its not just you

nitromullet
08-15-05, 05:29 PM
This may be a longshot, but have you tried running with only 1 GB of RAM installed? That's the only difference I notice between your system, OWA's and ChrisRay's. If using the drivers that work perfectly for them don't work for you, there may be some other issue here.

Sorry, I haven't checked back on this thread in a while. I haven't actually tried removing 1/2 of the RAM that I have installed, but I also had this problem before with 4 x 256MB and 2 x 256MB sticks of Corsair RAM. I don't think it is a RAM issue. I have also since upgraded the BIOS to version 1006, which is the latest stable BIOS from Asus, and the problem persists.

Believe me, your hardware is not faulty.

This nv_disp infinite loop bsod is an issue caused by mobo bios/vid card drivers.

I haven't really reached a conclusion myself yet on what is the cause. In the past I had been an AMD man, and then with my rig prior to this one I built an Intel rig (Northwood/Springdale) and it was very stable and very fast at the time. With all the fanfare surrounding the A64 and dual core, I laid out A LOT of cash to build this rig, and not only have I had issues with the 8x tr SSAA, but this box has BSOD'ed or rebooted more in 2 months than the Intel rig did in 2 years... Don't get me wrong the box is fast and stable, just not "rock stable" like my Intel rig was. The question is, is it Asus, NVIDIA, or AMD that is the culprit? I've seen lots of benchmarks and screenshots of 8x tr SSAA, so I know that it works for some people, just not for me.

sorry, but i have no solution, but while testing my friends new comp that i built him (x2 single 7800 gtx) while playing hl2 and transparent aa on, i did run into a bsod as well so its not just you

No problem, thanks for posting anyway. Did your friend's box BSOD at 8x tr SSAA only or at other AA settings as well?

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. Keep the ideas coming, and I'll update this if I figure anything out. Not that I wish this issue upon more people, but I really would like to hear about different people's configurations that are having the same issue to see if there is a common thread.

Absolution
08-15-05, 06:28 PM
i think it was running 4x AA (not sure) but i know i had gama + transparent aa on too.

nitromullet
08-15-05, 08:36 PM
i think it was running 4x AA (not sure) but i know i had gama + transparent aa on too.
Yeah, I don't have any problems at 4x... It runs just fine, and it still looks pretty, but as soon as I bump it up to 8x transparent SSAA I get the BSOD when I load HL2.

BadONE
08-16-05, 06:26 AM
I have a similar system like yours and I dont get these BSOD's with HL2.
This game seems to work fine with 8xSS+TRSSAA.
I'm using the 77.77 drivers.

nitromullet
08-17-05, 11:27 AM
I have a similar system like yours and I dont get these BSOD's with HL2.
This game seems to work fine with 8xSS+TRSSAA.
I'm using the 77.77 drivers.
I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the Manchester core on the 4200+.

Absolution: Is your friend's PC running a 4200/4600+ or 4400/4800+ X2?

nitromullet
08-30-05, 02:01 PM
An update in case anyone is reading this thread anymore...

I continue to have this problem. The system runs great except for this problem with 8x transparent AA/AF. I think my other stability issues were the result of a bad SATA cable... One of my NVRAID (RAID 0) drives kept coming "disconnected", I would reboot and it would be fine for a bit, and then it would happen again (maybe in a week, maybe in an hour - very annoying), but this appears to have been resolved.

Anyway the problem with the nv4_disp.dll infinite loop BSOD with 8x transparent SSAA continues. So far, this problem has been present with all of the following (and in many different combinations):

cards:

single eVGA 7800GTX
dual eVGA 7800GTX

drivers:

Forceware 77.72
Forceware 77.77
Forceware 78.01

nForce4 AMD 6.39
nForce4 AMD 6.66

with/without the AMD Cool'n Quiet driver

Asus A7N-SLI Premium BIOS:

(no beta versions)

*I've also tried Windows XP Pro x64, and that was about the worst $150 I've spent in a while - I was back on 32-bit within 24 hours. I don't blame MS for its shortcomings, this transition will take a bit of time, but needless to say, 8x transparent SSAA didn't work on that either.

Veger
08-30-05, 02:20 PM
Also check the system properties, - Advanced - Startup and Recovery

1) Set the "/NoExecute" to AlwaysOff

2) Also try setting steam to only use one cpu using the affinity option underneath Windows Task Manager - Processes Tab - right click on steam.exe and set affinity to use one cpu. What this will do is that it will rule out if dual cpus is a problem with any of the games thru steam. I had a stutter problem with counterstrike source. After I set the affinity to one cpu it fixed the stutter frame issue.

Report back... Hope these work for you...

cshack
08-31-05, 08:04 PM
I'm having the same exact problem as you are, nitro, but 8xS (nor SLIx16) will not work for me regardless of whether or not transparency AA is on or off. I've tried it with and without the gamma correction as well. The only game I was able to get to run in 8xS (before I got my second 7800GTX), was Doom 3, and that crashed as soon as I tried to quit out.

My system is pretty much the same as yours:
ASUS SLI Premium (BIOS 1.005)
AMD X2 4400+
2 gigs of OCZ platinum
BFG 7800 GTX (SLI) (77.77)

I've not gone to the same effort as you have testing out the problem, but I did try out Veger's suggestion to no effect (thanks for the advice though).

cshack