PDA

View Full Version : Hda Mystique Dolby live sound card is a cpu hog ?

turdhat
07-28-05, 03:04 PM
Serious performance hit here with the HDA Mystique vs the old sblive.

Counterstrike Source Stress Test
HDA 145fps
Sblive 180 !

Call of duty bench
Hda 136 Ouch !
sblive 176

This is with the Sblive running in 4 channel mode providing front and rear. How is it that a 6 year old card can out perform a brand new one ! Or do I have some weird installation issue ? Anyone else have this card and benched it against an sblive or audigy 1 or 2 ? Keep in mind that the benchmarks I ran have no sound ! It seems this cards drivers running are hogging cpu cycles big time ! I sure didnt upgrade a component to downgrade gaming performace ! I hope I am wrong. Help if you can.

Thanks

Athlon 64 3500 @2.4ghz
Ati Radeon X800 xt 504/537
1024 megs/Supertalent pc 3500 2/2/2/5 @436mhz

BrianG
07-28-05, 04:42 PM
I did not find a decrease in performance on my HDA Mystique when I still had the 3200+. I only have numbers in my review using Quake3, which has audio enabled during the timedemo run. I did not think to do a comparison to the on-board audio I had been using prior nor do I have an SB Live to test against.

AFAIK, the Source test has sound completely disabled to just test the video system. I would guess that a looming Creative driver is still latched on to the HL2 cfg file.

Did you use Driver Cleaner? Any of the Creative software left behind?

Fox5
07-30-05, 12:37 PM
I believe if you're using the dolby digital out function of the card that it does have a heavy cpu impact because it uses the cpu to encode the video.

BrianG
07-30-05, 04:16 PM
I believe if you're using the dolby digital out function of the card that it does have a heavy cpu impact because it uses the cpu to encode the video.
Not really.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/x-mystique/images/q3alow.jpg

Yes, there was a performance hit, but nowhere near the scale he is talking.

Fox5
07-30-05, 04:44 PM
Wow, in that little chart the Mystique card has a pretty heavy performance hit just enabling sound, I don't think the sound blaster live and audigy cards have a performance hit anywhere near that bad.(less than 5% for the latest cards)

BrianG
07-30-05, 06:10 PM
Wow, in that little chart the Mystique card has a pretty heavy performance hit just enabling sound, I don't think the sound blaster live and audigy cards have a performance hit anywhere near that bad.(less than 5% for the latest cards)
The game itself adds overhead for its audio calculations. When I increased the resolution and retested, the gap closed showing that it was not a game-wide performance hit.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=audigy2&page=7

Here is another example, including Audigy 2ZS benchmarks...
As you can see, going from no audio to enabling audio results in roughly an 80 FPS drop in framerate. Unfortunately, even the best audio cards in the market can't avoid the performance drop, and even some of the older sound cards see roughly the same drop in performance. We also see almost no difference in performance between the audio cards in High Quality or Low Quality modes.