PDA

View Full Version : New 2005FPW Return or Keeper!

Elderblaze
07-28-05, 04:22 PM
Hey guys,

I just got a 2005FPW, and im very happy with it. The backlight has very minimal bleeding, have to try to notice it. And it's so much sharper and cleaner looking then my old Sony G520. Though with Dead Pixel buddy, in pure black, I do have about 7 "stuck" pixels not sure if they are "Dead" they are stuck in a lit state. Whitish/blue. I don't notice them at all unless im looking for them, im kinda used to monitor "defects" coming from years of Trinitron use with wires (though they are not a defect) it never bothered me. What concerns me is if It came with 7 messed up pixels does that increase the odds that i'll get more? What also bothers me is that this bothers other people so much, and I see polls on Hard forums and other sites where most people claim they have 0 dead pixels or only 1. It's the principal. I've got about 18 days left to get a new return from dell, but what if the new one has horrible backlighting, that is somthing i absolutely could not handle. it would go back 10 minutes after it was unpacked.

Regards,
Mike

zyklon69
07-28-05, 05:18 PM
Return it, its very uncommon for someone to get 7 stuck/dead pixels. Of the 10 or so LCD's that i've purchased, about 3 of them had 1-2 dead/stuck pixels.

BrianG
07-28-05, 05:21 PM
I would say return it. That many stuck is a sign of a bad panel or abuse during shipping.

BTW, what rev is it? (its on a sticker near the power plug.)

ENU291
07-28-05, 05:32 PM
7 dead pixels = Return it ASAP. Dell's return policy could not be easier. You'll have a new 2005FPW in no time.

Starscream
07-28-05, 05:43 PM
Absolutely return it! To me even ONE dead pixel is uncacceptable on lcd's I sell or use on my own.

Riptide
07-28-05, 06:17 PM
7 is bad. 1-2 is OK. Exchange it.

Elderblaze
07-28-05, 08:51 PM
Doh, and im so happy with it. Hehe well im a LCD noob, but you folks sound awefully sure of yourselves. I guess i'll return it. Though I hope I don't get one with a messed up backlight, that would be much worse.

Regards,
Mike

Edit: I re-counted them, this time more carefully, and it turns out there's only 5. I've never purchased anything from dell before, can someone give me a brief run down of the return process. This thing dosent have a service tag on it anywhere. Does dell cross ship or do I have to send it back before they send another one?

Elderblaze
07-30-05, 05:18 AM
Well, thanks for your candid responces. New one shipped out, should be getting it on tuesday. Here's hoping.. I dident want to play the return game blah. I'll be stuck with this display for years to come though better make it count while I can. I miss the blacks of my Trinitron, but I don't think i'd want to go back to a CRT again, the clairity is not even close. Though a new CRT might be, I dunno. My G520 is already 3 years old and is showing it's age.

Bah and to that fellow who said Dells return policy could not be easier, it sure could be for monitors with no damn service tag hehe. Everything on their site, Email, Chat, requires a service tag. And the people on the phone where confused as hell because I dident have one. I also had to put my foot down, cuz they tried to tell me it was my video card lol and gave me the run around. I simply said in a polite fashion, let me explain somthing to you, Dead pixels are a common problem amoung LCD's it's a defect, and 7 is unaceptable, then I brought up the fact that backlighting issues where common on this model, and that there was nothing wrong with my video card or computer, that I had been building PC's for years, and stated anything less then a replacement would be unaceptable. She said she had to talk to supervisor and came back 5 minutes later saying she would shipa new unit out.

It's a June AO2 Brian.

5150 Joker
07-31-05, 02:25 AM
I had to return a 2005 FPW four times to get a perfect one with no backlight bleeding or dead pixels. Good luck on the returns but I have a feeling you may end up doing it a few more times before settling on one.

Elderblaze
07-31-05, 03:11 AM
I really hope not. I don't expect a perfect one. I almost kept this one. Minimal backlight bleed, and 3 dead pixels or less is what im aiming for.

5150 Joker
07-31-05, 05:09 AM
Here's some pics detailing what my 2005fp monitors looked like ending with the final perfect one that I kept:

First:
http://www.clan786.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Dell2005FPW.jpg

Second (backlight wasnt too bad but it had dead pixels):
http://www.clan786.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Dell2005bl%20009.jpg

Third (backlight bleed, almost kept it but decided for one more try):
http://www.clan786.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Dell2005FPW%20004.jpg

Last one that is perfect:
http://www.clan786.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Dell2005New%20001.jpg

Riptide
07-31-05, 09:59 AM
Wow can we say QC problem?

Elderblaze
07-31-05, 02:04 PM
Aye, one of the reasons I was so apprehensive about the returns game. My backlight is about like the 3rd monitor shown. But 6 dead pixels.

Regards,
mike

BrianG
07-31-05, 02:51 PM
Wow can we say QC problem?
I still haven't seen a flat panel that does not have backlight bleeding. I mean, it is there if you look for it. The widescreen makes it easier to notice it because of the field of view. I notice the backlight in all four corners, but not all at once. I have to move to a certain angle, then one corner's bleeding come into view, and so on. It also seem to lessen as the panel breaks in, which was definitely true on my Samsung 712N.

Yes, I imagine quality control on the widescreen is probably a lot harder to deal with. I also imagine that redesigning the panel's manufacturing process is more costly than RMAs. I would guess that Dell gets the panels from LG Phillips at a discounted rate versus those supplied to Apple because they have lower standards for shippable products.

And let's not discount the effect shipping and packaging may have as well...

Lot of factors for whether are not you get a "acceptable" panel but, I love my 2005fpw. Luckily, I got the right one the first time around...

Riptide
07-31-05, 04:53 PM
Yeah some bleed is normal no doubt. I was just commenting on how bad his first and third units were. Ick.

Elderblaze
08-02-05, 06:07 AM
My new unit should be here today if Abu and Harmeet filled out the dispatch properly. Heelo my name is abu and i love u can i have you service tag mmplease. haha wish me luck

uOpt
08-02-05, 08:52 AM
Did you try massaging the dead/stuck pixels out?

Elderblaze
08-02-05, 03:42 PM
Yeah I tried that, a few times. Damn package isent here either, shoulda got here by now. Perhaps it shipped from some place other then Austin, if that's the case will probably be a couple more days.

Marcos
08-03-05, 03:34 PM
7 dead pixels:

UNACCEPTABLE

Elderblaze
08-03-05, 04:01 PM
Well I finally got a status update on my order page on dells website it says "In Poduction" and when I click that it shows estimated ship date of Aug 9. But on the main order page it says estimated ship date on or before Aug 3. Hope it's the 3rd, cause if it's the 9th by the time I get the new panel my 21 day's will expire and i'll be stuck with it, for better or worse.

Elderblaze
08-05-05, 02:42 PM
Got my new one in today, after an in depth close look with Dead pixel buddy, im glad to say I couldent find any, not to say there is not one or two that will pop up. The backlight looks flawless from a cold boot and 45 minutes of up time, though that's not certain until the monitor has had a good chance to really heat up. Im happy.