PDA

View Full Version : Loast Coast Playtest by gamespot and Aftermath pushed back to November (big suprise)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

GeForce X
07-28-05, 03:59 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/preview_6129904.html

Seems the loast coast level has higher textures than those dx7-esque ones in the original game. And I find it cool that they are putting these higher textures into the SDK. But of course, still no date given on a release.

At the bottom of the page it is quickly mentioned that Aftermath is looking at a "November" release date. Funny cause Valve was "confident" that it would be out this summer. $50 bucks says it doesnt get released till 06. :thumbdwn:

Rakeesh
07-28-05, 06:09 PM
Yeah, ATI has been having problems with their chip fabrication process, so the lost coast release date keeps getting pushed back.

-=DVS=-
07-28-05, 09:58 PM
Valve might aswell make complete overhaul of HalfLife 2 and CSS , add HDR higher res textures and sell as expansion for 20$ thro steam... :|

killahsin
07-29-05, 01:05 AM
I heard aftermath was first scheduled for sept, then quickly pushed to october. This novemeber one is the first time i heard november. and alpha valve and ati don't have any contracts, so can you stop that BS? Lost coast doesn't need a gtx or 520 to run, lol.

Rakeesh
07-29-05, 02:10 AM
I heard aftermath was first scheduled for sept, then quickly pushed to october. This novemeber one is the first time i heard november. and alpha valve and ati don't have any contracts, so can you stop that BS? Lost coast doesn't need a gtx or 520 to run, lol.

Yes, but the vaporvalve does

killahsin
07-29-05, 03:55 AM
sigh your constant insults directed at a company thats giving away stuff for free and supporting their user base beyond any other developer is getting old.

Superfly
07-29-05, 04:00 AM
Bah - im with Alphawolf.

I wipe my arse on the Lost Coast and Aftermath.

jolle
07-29-05, 04:18 AM
The MAX quality requires a FP16 Framebuffer, R520 is the first ATI card to support that (according to rumour atleast).
So thats the reason Valve is delaying the release of Lost Coast, so that ATi can release R520 and have a card that can run the Highest quality.

Ofcource thats only a theory, cant be proved.
But there is more.
Like the claims that Valve didnt bother to ever call for Partial Precision on any of their shaders, tho all of them except a few should prolly be running PP.
Why? well it doesnt affect ATi running FP24 on both Full or Partial, but it does NV3x which takes a hit from using FP32 over FP16.. NV40 isnt affected enough to make a difference tho.

Maybe they are making up for the crap they pulled on ATi.
Selling them HL2 vouchers when the game was years from release, the 9800 buyers got to se a new generation ATI GPUs before they saw the game.
And Valve must have known, like when they announced, a week before release, that they would have to push it up a bit, a year later its done.
How do you notice, a week before release, that you need one more year?

well, its all rumours and speculations in the end.
But I wouldnt be suprised if Lost Coast releases near R520.
Not too fired up about it, the addition to the SDK is more interesting.

Morrow
07-29-05, 06:40 AM

no, Lost coast doesn't need a R520 to run at all however it requires the R520 for the high quality mode (FP16 HDR and SM3.0).

Until the R520 is released ATI has no card supporting those high quality features of the lost coast level and it would really be a shame if the official partner of Valve and the one who shipped 8 million dollars to Valve was not able to run HL2 on the highest quality mode, now wouldn't it?

Valve will wait for ATI to release the R520, there is no doubt about it.

zoomy942
07-29-05, 07:59 AM
i lost interest in HL2 after all the valve-vaporware things that have been going on

aAv7
07-29-05, 01:39 PM
I personally wish they'd fix the stuttering bug in their engine, before worrying about making any advancements to it.

It's nice they want to give us free content and all, but the game we paid $50 for last Nov. still runs like pooh.

Banko
07-29-05, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one that never experienced this stuttering?

fastguy94416
07-29-05, 02:15 PM
I didn't either.

superklye
07-29-05, 02:17 PM
I only had it a REAL little bit, but after the first few patches, I was fine.

Of course, I haven't played in 3+ months, so that may've changed.

killahsin
07-29-05, 09:28 PM
well i have the stutter if i go from 1 gig to 512 and leave the texture quality at max lol. But other then that i dont have the stutter. My other comp has the stutter but i isolated it to the sound drivers.

Acid Rain
07-29-05, 09:45 PM
I wipe my arse on the Lost Coast and Aftermath.I would, but I'd prefer to keep my ass clean.
i lost interest in HL2 after all the valve-vaporware things that have been going on
What's funny is that the only real interest in Valve came from the free user mod, Counter Strike. Valve has nothing, nothing at all, to offer. They've just ridden the gravy train that others created for them.
I only had it a REAL little bit, but after the first few patches, I was fine.

Of course, I haven't played in 3+ months, so that may've changed.Mine was fine until more recent updates, then they broke the game, for me, as well as my account. Thank you very much, ass-clowns. I actually enjoyed the game early on. I think ATi's driver team writes the source updates, likely during lunchbreaks.

Rakeesh
07-29-05, 11:24 PM
sigh your constant insults directed at a company thats giving away stuff for free and supporting their user base beyond any other developer is getting old.

How so? Granted HL2 was worth playing overall (though not worth the price they charge,) they sell you only half of a game with beta quality code, and then tell you that you have to buy the rest later. And you have got to be kidding about the support thing - valve is the worst I have ever seen. I remember thinking blizzard was bad back in the starcraft days, but they would at least give you a cut and paste response within 3 days. Valve doesn't give you anything for 5 solid months, and when they do give you a response, they either ask for further information that you have already told/given them, give you an unrelated answer, or close your ticket because they think that a recent patch addresses the issue, even though none of the fixes listed in the changelog remotely relate to your issue.

aAv7
07-29-05, 11:33 PM
I'm thinking you're right about the whole "waiting for r520" until they release loast coast. Why? Because I just re-loaded steam and saw their bullsh*t "update" which was nothing more than them talking about source tv and getting their arses handed to them by the mod community. Big whoop-dee-do, like we care!?

Give us the damn level already....back in May they said "soon" August is Monday...I'd like Valve to at least define their definition of "soon" in one of their BS updates.

killahsin
07-30-05, 12:51 AM
How so? Granted HL2 was worth playing overall (though not worth the price they charge,) they sell you only half of a game with beta quality code, and then tell you that you have to buy the rest later. And you have got to be kidding about the support thing - valve is the worst I have ever seen. I remember thinking blizzard was bad back in the starcraft days, but they would at least give you a cut and paste response within 3 days. Valve doesn't give you anything for 5 solid months, and when they do give you a response, they either ask for further information that you have already told/given them, give you an unrelated answer, or close your ticket because they think that a recent patch addresses the issue, even though none of the fixes listed in the changelog remotely relate to your issue.

this is rather funny. Yeah doom 3 was worth the price they charged, a much better much longer experiance then hl2. Obviously hl2 is just 'ok' as you state, since its been in the top 10 pc games sold for almost a year straight now. Valve has to charge that price for hl2 on steam genius or the retail outlets will drop the game. Valve is the only developer outside of id(back in the days, but now their ignoring the mod community with doom3) that has patched their engine directly in relation to mod designer requests. Valve is the worst you have ever seen. Heh, you havent seen much then. I'm sure epic and their ut2k4(and related games using the engine) blue screen of death issues, doesn't happen to you. But does that make epic the worst ever? Valve made one serious mistake and thatw as about continuing to tell the community the game was going to be released. I don't see you whining about pariah or toee or any other game that came out one hundred more times worse and more sloppy then hl2. And to me your credibility went out the door when you said "blizzard was bad". At least valve doesn't let publishers dictate how many patches they are allowed to make for their game. Valve is the worst ever, lol. What a troll response.

Oh and can you please show me your issue, and perhaps also show me the response they agve you that stated it was fixed in a patch. Somthing solid you know? I mean if they did state they fixed your issue in such and such patch and it isn't listed in any change log of the 20 or so patches they have released. Then i will agree with you.

As for valve never making anything outside of counter strike. Yeah thats why they have more development awards then any other developer, given to them by the development community. Thats why even before cs was popular hl was on the best seller list. Thats why hl won game of the year twice, again before cs was popular. but whatever, this is silly. Yall just like to flame valve because they don't play by your rules, which is release crappy title after title after title, every 2 years.

I'm thinking you're right about the whole "waiting for r520" until they release loast coast. Why? Because I just re-loaded steam and saw their bullsh*t "update" which was nothing more than them talking about source tv and getting their arses handed to them by the mod community. Big whoop-dee-do, like we care!?

Give us the damn level already....back in May they said "soon" August is Monday...I'd like Valve to at least define their definition of "soon" in one of their BS updates.

Yeah because every other great developer out there actually updates their community on what their doing.

Rakeesh
07-30-05, 02:13 AM
Yeah because every other great developer out there actually updates their community on what their doing.

Yeah, ID sure don't. They update so little that I only have a vague memory of what their latest project was called...the name had something to do with natural disasters that frequently occur in california, and I think it was something like the fourth game to have this name from ID. Ring a bell to anybody? Trying to remember the name...

killahsin
07-30-05, 02:14 AM
Yeah, ID sure don't. They update so little that I only have a vague memory of what their latest project was called...the name had something to do with natural disasters that frequently occur in california, and I think it was something like the fourth game to have this name from ID. Ring a bell to anybody? Trying to remember the name...

ID isnt making quake 4. lol.

Rakeesh
07-30-05, 02:50 AM
Oh and can you please show me your issue, and perhaps also show me the response they agve you that stated it was fixed in a patch. Somthing solid you know? I mean if they did state they fixed your issue in such and such patch and it isn't listed in any change log of the 20 or so patches they have released. Then i will agree with you.

Heres the gist of the problem. When I first bought HL2, it didn't work properly with my soundcard (only one audio channel could be heard, and it was very quiet.) I sent valve a support ticket, including an msinfo32 report as per their instructions. They said that my soundcard was bad. Well damn, worked fine in doom 3. I told them this, then they turn around and say that its realteks fault for releasing a bad driver. Well damn, works with every other game I own with full 5.1 support and all, no problems. Yet it doesn't work with any of the source games. Gee, I wonder why? I ask valve that question, then they say that realtek needs to release a new driver to make the card compatible with steam.

So I send realtek an email, they tell me that they are working on the problem. Then another person on the steam support forums tells me that he called realtek on the phone, and they found that source was at fault (it had a similar issue with about 4 other soundcards.) Yet, in spite of this, one of valves support dorks writes on the forum that its a realtek problem and not a valve problem.

2 months pass by and a source engine patch comes out that attempts (and fails) to address the infamous sound stuttering issue. Valve then cancels my ticket telling me that my problem has been resolved by the patch. Well f*ck me proper, I didn't recall writing anything about stuttering, but rather my sound just plain not working for sh*t in HL2. Naturally, valve can't tell the difference.

So I have to reopen the ticket, and play the waiting game all over again. All the while, the support idiot on the steam forums was still adamant that this was a realtek issue (steams support section still lists it as such.) Then another 3 months later (and btw, I owned the game for 5 months at this point, and still hadn't played it yet because of this issue)...One day, just out of nowhere, one of the steam engineers has this brilliant idea "hey, you know, it just occurred to me that not everybody uses analog creative POS cards, why don't we be more like everybody else, and stream six discrete channels from the sound buffer in our half assed engine, that way there are less problems with digital sound systems?" So they added an option (called snd_digital_surround 1) which when enabled fixed the problem with the realtek and all other digital sound systems.

Of course valve, who locks their engineers in the basement beneath the marketing and support teams, for the most part isn't even aware that this fixes the problem, nor that the entire time it was in fact not a problem with realtek cards, but rather it is the half baked game engine that was at fault. So about a week or so later, I find this out, and all is well...until I actually have sound working well enough that I do run into the stuttering issue, which is a whole other can of worms.

Now another 5 months after I reopened the ticket (and at this point I had pretty much forgotten about it,) valve sends me a reply asking me to send my msinfo32 report to them so that they can help me address the surround sound problem. Figuring that if they haven't already gotten a clue by this point (which I should mention again, that to this day their support area (not just the forum itself) still indicates that realtek cards are broken for this game, and that it is a realtek problem and not a valve problem) I figure they'll never get a clue, so I literally tell them to f*ck off and that I'll never buy a valve product, nor any games based on valves technology (e.g. the source engine) ever again. If you had to wait 5 months after owning a game before you could play it, you'd probably say the same thing.

Now this is the most notable problem that I have had with the source engine, and have actually went through that bullcrap support system in order to attempt to resolve, but suffice it to say, this isn't the only one either.

ID isnt making quake 4. lol.

Making is quite a broad term. What exactly is your point? You act as though ID has nothing to do with the game, which is false. ID still calls the shots on this game, the only difference is a different set of code monkeys are working on it.

killahsin
07-30-05, 03:14 AM
er a totally different dev team. Raven is completly designing the game. ID isn't. From what i understand ID is busy at work on their next big thing. As for your realtek thing. I had that problem too with the nforce audio drivers. I had to switch to the realtek ones my mobo manufacturer releases, in order to get the sound to work properlly. I had that problem with both of my computers, nforce 3/4. In ut2k4 its hilarious if i turn my head one way i can only hear things out of the side facing the person and someone talking on the other side i can't even hear. In hl2 the other side would be extremly dim. But its a hilarious bug none the less. Mine also worked fine in doom3. I never understood the problem myself but switching to my mobo manus realtek drivers fixed the issue for me. I am not lyign either when i say this happend to me. To this day it still happens if i use nforce related sound drivers. Oh and i had to completly remove the nforce drivers from the system otherwise they ghosted and i got stuttering and lockups. (added that just in case that happens to anyone else)

http://www.cstrike-planet.com/articles/comments?id=179 <- it is listed in the patch notes btw.

Rakeesh
07-30-05, 03:23 AM
er a totally different dev team. Raven is completly designing the game. ID isn't. From what i understand ID is busy at work on their next big thing. As for your realtek thing. I had that problem too with the nforce audio drivers. I had to switch to the realtek ones my mobo manufacturer releases, in order to get the sound to work properlly. I had that problem with both of my computers, nforce 3/4. In ut2k4 its hilarious if i turn my head one way i can only hear things out of the side facing the person and someone talking on the other side i can't even hear. In hl2 the other side would be extremly dim. But its a hilarious bug none the less. Mine also worked fine in doom3. I never understood the problem myself but switching to my mobo manus realtek drivers fixed the issue for me. I am not lyign either when i say this happend to me. To this day it still happens if i use nforce related sound drivers. Oh and i had to completly remove the nforce drivers from the system otherwise they ghosted and i got stuttering and lockups. (added that just in case that happens to anyone else)

Are you using digital surround, e.g. dolby digital live in a soundstorm card? If so you need to use the snd_digital_surround 1 flag with those drivers, or else its all out of whack.

Valve doesn't know how to document this in any of their updates or official support areas, in spite of it being well documented everywhere else on the net.

killahsin
07-30-05, 03:29 AM
i edited my post above where its listed in the patch notes =)

and yes i had that problem on my nforce 2 board as well lol. And yeah i knew about that fix, but i was just relating how i had a problem just like yours. My current problem (which ive got fixed with the mobo manu realtek drivers) is the same but different if yah know what i mean.

BTW its well documented here
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=219360&highlight=snddigitalsurround