PDA

View Full Version : New 6800, but there is a piece of it still in statics bag?! HELP

MrZippo
07-28-05, 04:08 PM
About a week ago, I recieved a new GeForce 6800 256MB PCI-E from a seller on eBay. The seller is very well known and is very trusted, but when I opened the package and took the card out of the statics bag a very small, black thing (transistor?) fell out along with it. I don't know exactly what it's called, but it's one of those very small things that are embedded all over the card. It's about 1 mm in length and has a silver line on each side of it. The maker of my card is unkown, although the seller is still supposed to give me information about that (I think it's MSI).

The thing is though, it seems to be working perfectly fine. I've had it for a week and so far nothing out of the ordinary has happened. Running 3DMark2001 on default settings I got a score of 17271 and on 3DMark05 i got a score of 3706. All games are running smoothly and there has been no lockups or crashes. The seller tells me that I should bring it back to him and he'd replace it, but I'm wondering if I should even go through all of the trouble.

So my main questions are:
1. Is this a common occurence? Has this happened to any of you before?
2. If this piece really did fall off of my card, will it probably be messed up later on?
3. Does that 1mm long black thing even have any real significance anyway?

I currently do not have any pics of my card and I probably won't because my digital camera sucks. I think the information I provided is satisfactory anyway, but if you'd like more info please say so.

subbo
07-28-05, 05:06 PM
Well common sense would say everything thats welded onto the pcb is there for a reason, but you might be in luck and that little diode is just used for a function you dont need like the second vga/dvi port or tv-out. Especially if it came off from near the vga connectors (where most of them are) all it would do is affect the vga quality (ie blurrier or offset picture).

Back in the day with radeon cards we used to weld jump wires over the little diodes to bypass them and get a better picture :)

rohit
07-28-05, 05:28 PM
1. Is this a common occurence? Has this happened to any of you before?
It isnt common, but yes it has happened before. check this out. this guy has similar problem as yours. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50334
2. If this piece really did fall off of my card, will it probably be messed up later on?
May be, chances are if you over clock it, then yes.
3. Does that 1mm long black thing even have any real significance anyway?
Yes, those things store electric CHARGE in them. they are there, to complete the circuit. if they are missing, then the circuit is broken. but are not getting any problems, maybe because its skipping the need of that THING. if you overclock, maybe the card will need charge from that THING, and it will result in rebooting.

IMO, get it replaced.

ViN86
07-28-05, 06:19 PM
if the seller will replace it, dont sacrifice quality on the count of being impatient ;)

definitely return it to the seller for him to replace. that way you will know you have a fully intact card and you can sleep easier. whats a week or two in the grand scheme of things eh? :)

j0j081
07-28-05, 09:51 PM
Aren't his 3dmark 05 scores a little low?

Banko
07-28-05, 10:07 PM
Not really that's a 6800NU. (Seems like anyway)

Kamel
07-28-05, 11:27 PM
believe me when i say, now-a-days manufacturers don't like giving away things or paying for things that aren't _necessary_. this was put on your card because it is necessary. if it was black it probably was a transister, which is very important to the operation of your card. it may be giving too much or too little voltage to some place on the card, which may not be noticable now, but it may end up giving you permanent damage in the long run. the description of the two silver sides though implies a capacity, which in that case it can run without just fine, it just will not have as good of voltage regulation. at that, it will not have a connection at all where that circuit is at unless it was made in a parallel circuit.

basically what i'm saying is, if the guy was so nice as to return it, definitely do that. you don't want to make a $200+ mistake.

on the positive side though, i have a friend who had a cap fall off of his 9800 pro and it's working to this day.