Bad_Boy
07-28-05, 11:21 PM
i wonder what reggie feels about that. he seemed pretty confident at e3. :p

Rakeesh
07-29-05, 02:19 AM
It's like I keep saying...you know, the comment that involves the word "sega."

killahsin
07-29-05, 05:03 AM
I think the slumping sales is well expected with the next gen right around the corner. The next zelda will sell a few million consoles easily though. Also you have to remember that nintendo is operating in the white still, while ms and sony are both still operating in the red.

|MaguS|
07-29-05, 06:24 AM
Nintendo has hit red often lately due to poor sales of the Gamecube, This would probably hurt them alot since they only have the game industry as a source of income.

Nintendo should go software only, Their consoles have been lacking since the N64 and I dout they will ever catch up.

Ninjaman09
07-29-05, 08:39 AM
Nintendo has hit red often lately due to poor sales of the Gamecube, This would probably hurt them alot since they only have the game industry as a source of income.

Nintendo should go software only, Their consoles have been lacking since the N64 and I dout they will ever catch up.
The best thing Nintendo has going for them is the GameBoy and their first party titles. They should stick to handhelds and develop games for other consoles as a third party developer. Pride is the only thing keeping them in the console arena and it's going to hurt them in the long run.

By the way I'd encourage you all to read the article a little more carefully, Nintendo is not in any immediate danger. Nintendo has not "hit the red", in fact, it's the only one of the three that reported a profit.

saturnotaku
07-29-05, 08:58 AM
By the way I'd encourage you all to read the article a little more carefully, Nintendo is not in any immediate danger. Nintendo has not "hit the red", in fact, it's the only one of the three that reported a profit.

Yep. Profits down 80% != operating at a loss. As long as Nintendo is making money, they're probably not going to change their business model much if at all. But if they want to make more money, going onto the other consoles as a software developer probably isn't such a bad idea.

oldsk00l
07-29-05, 11:24 AM
I agree with the above, just because N isn't making AS MUCH money, relatively they are doing far better than their competitors in turning well....ANY profit!!!

I still think Nintendo sort of sucks though, I grew out of the whole little kid-Zelda thing a long time ago. I think it's ghey now, kind of like playing with ninja turtle action figures. You're either a sick pedophile, or a severely mentally disabled person for doing it.

Ninjaman09
07-29-05, 11:32 AM
I still think Nintendo sort of sucks though, I grew out of the whole little kid-Zelda thing a long time ago. I think it's ghey now, kind of like playing with ninja turtle action figures. You're either a sick pedophile, or a severely mentally disabled person for doing it.
Bleh, "Nintendo=little kids" is just BS dreamt up by Sony fanboys to pat themselves on the back. Way to go Mr. "I hate people that self-aggrandize". :D

tristancarton
07-29-05, 11:34 AM
:eek: going to be lots of sick pedophiles and/or severly mentally disabled people this winter when Zelda Twighlight Princess debuts. and to be honest i feel bad (assuming you don't pick it up due to it beign ghey) for you because this game is going to rock.
I grew out of the whole little kid-Zelda thing a long time ago. I think it's ghey now, kind of like playing with ninja turtle action figures. You're either a sick pedophile, or a severely mentally disabled person for doing it.

brady
07-29-05, 11:45 AM
:eek: going to be lots of sick pedophiles and/or severly mentally disabled people this winter when Zelda Twighlight Princess debuts. and to be honest i feel bad (assuming you don't pick it up due to it beign ghey) for you because this game is going to rock.

yeah my wife has a gamecube and sometimes we'll play mario party together or with friends, kinda fun in a "yeah were lame" sorta way. but i can see myself picking up the new zelda when it comes out. ive wanted to get that new resident evil but the thing that holds me back is that ive been playing most of my computer games on our 27" lcd tv with my modified xbox controller. it looks so freaking good with 4xaa 16xaf ect. and i just dont know if i can handle the jaggies.

Ninjaman09
07-29-05, 12:15 PM
:eek: going to be lots of sick pedophiles and/or severly mentally disabled people this winter when Zelda Twighlight Princess debuts.
You can damn sure count me among them. :D

oldsk00l
07-29-05, 02:50 PM
Hey guys, to each his own, being severely mentally disabled is not necessarily your own fault :D

I am no sony fanboi either, yes I own a PSP, yes I own an xbox, yes I own a gamecube, I don't own a PS2 but I do have an old PSX. I use to own a saturn even.

Saying Nintendo is for kids isn't trying to be fanboi, it's literal. It's a natural reaction to the majority of nintendo's branding. It's childish. So is most of videogaming, the whole "art form" thing is a joke when you pay attention to the corporate suits behind the curtain trying to make a buck off of a finkle fad audience.

Another thing worth noting though, is that I can say Nintendo is for kids, and that I think Nintendo's business is really good. There, no fanboi there, just reality. Get a grip :rolleyes:

Zelda_fan
07-29-05, 03:01 PM
Like Ninja said, they are the only one of the three that is reporting a profit. It's just that the poor first party titles for gamecube have finally started hitting the bank. A lot is going to hinge on how well revolution does. Eiter way, profit is profit, and as long as they are profiting, they will continue to be in business.

aAv7
07-29-05, 06:51 PM
Exactly. It's hilarious that Nintendo continues to get bashed, yet they are the ONLY one of the 3 actually making money.

Xbox should have been a dead-in-the-water system by 04, but Microsoft's deep pockets are what keeps it afloat. I don't think MS has ever pulled in a profit from their console division.

GamerGuyX
07-29-05, 07:05 PM
Exactly. It's hilarious that Nintendo continues to get bashed, yet they are the ONLY one of the 3 actually making money.

They are getting bashed because of all the stupid decisions they keep making...

aAv7
07-29-05, 08:50 PM
They are getting bashed because of all the stupid decisions they keep making...

But you have to realize in big buisness, it's about how much $$ you make. Obviously they have feel content with their choices when they're the only company generating profit.

I mean sure, they could open the gates to 3rd party developers and let all the over-saturated crap come in, with a few sprinkled blockbusters, or they can go their own route and pave their own way. Which has apparently kept them profitable. It's too risky to try something else at this point.

I miss the Nintendo of the 8-bit and 16-bit era's too, but more and more I realize Nintendo was ALWAYS for kids...I just grew up.

Now we're older complaining about it, but there's a slew of new youngsters playing Mario and Metroid...creating their own fond memories of being brought into video games by Nintendo....and when they get older, they'll complain too.

If Nintendo grabbed the GTA series and Metal Gear, etc., like everyone says they should, they would basically be Xbox. And from a financial point of view, we have the proof that that doesnt make a company money. ;)

I think Nintendo is fine where they are right now. It's not my first choice as a gamer, but I think they still have what they did 20 years ago.

GamerGuyX
07-29-05, 09:19 PM
If Nintendo grabbed the GTA series and Metal Gear, etc., like everyone says they should, they would basically be Xbox. And from a financial point of view, we have the proof that that doesnt make a company money. ;)

Obviously having games like GTA and MGS DO make money. If not, then Sony and Microsoft would not be in this business. Unless of course you think they are in this to lose money. :rolleyes:

I mean sure, they could open the gates to 3rd party developers and let all the over-saturated crap come in

I can think of MANY 3rd party developers that make better games than Nintendo. Rockstar, Konami, Capcom, Bioware, etc.

Vagrant Zero
07-29-05, 09:42 PM
Gay, Ghey, Gray, Grey, Genmay...don't matter to me, I'm still getting that new zelda.

oldsk00l
07-29-05, 10:00 PM

Xbox should have been a dead-in-the-water system by 04, but Microsoft's deep pockets are what keeps it afloat. I don't think MS has ever pulled in a profit from their console division.

Actually, the division did *start* to turn positive numbers, but it's completely pennies in the face of the billions invested into it. The 360 would have to turn in billions of profit pretty fast to look like a worthwhile investment. Serious, if I had stock in MS I'd be pissed at the giant black hole for revenue that the games division makes for MS.

Zelda_fan
07-31-05, 01:08 PM
Obviously having games like GTA and MGS DO make money. If not, then Sony and Microsoft would not be in this business. Unless of course you think they are in this to lose money. :rolleyes:

nope. MS and Sony can afford to do this becasue they have very deep pockets and make their profits on other things totally non-related to video games. They are investing all of this to try and establish a foothold. If it keeps draining $$$ they will both likely bow out of the console industry and leave it all to nintendo like it used to be. Regardless of how popular the console is, if you don't make money, you aren't going to do it.

Zelda_fan
07-31-05, 01:09 PM
I can think of MANY 3rd party developers that make better games than Nintendo. Rockstar, Konami, Capcom, Bioware, etc.

played all those games and I disagree with you completely.

Intel17
07-31-05, 01:29 PM
Heh, ever since I was 3 I always disliked Nintendo consoles/games. I'd always play PC games, and think that Nintendo stuff was too childish (I was a Doom shareware addict at the time, and a Wolfenstein addict when I was 2).

My stance hasn't changed, as Mario and all those games bore me to tears.

Ninja Prime
07-31-05, 02:36 PM
Heh, ever since I was 3 I always disliked Nintendo consoles/games. I'd always play PC games, and think that Nintendo stuff was too childish (I was a Doom shareware addict at the time, and a Wolfenstein addict when I was 2).

My stance hasn't changed, as Mario and all those games bore me to tears.

You're so full of crap your eyes are turning brown. Just another case of "I can't like those 'kid' games or the cool kids wont like me." from the way I see it...

GamerGuyX
07-31-05, 04:26 PM
played all those games and I disagree with you completely.

I've played every Nintendo game and I disagree with YOU completely...

I'll take Rockstar, Konami, Capcom, Bioware over Nintendo any day.

MS and Sony can afford to do this becasue they have very deep pockets and make their profits on other things totally non-related to video games. They are investing all of this to try and establish a foothold.

Oh Microsoft and Sony have much more than just a "foothold" in the game industry (Sony especially) that's for sure. Especially seeing as how many more Xbox's and PS2's are sold than Gamecube's