PDA

View Full Version : first time NV buyer Gaming Problems

Spin20vt
07-29-05, 04:58 AM
Hi all
Ive just brought a Leadtek 6800GT and im getting this bad slow down in games. when playing BF2 especially, i play for about an hour or so no problems what so ever then it will randomly start slowing down to what seems like 1-2 fps for about 15 secs or so then all of a sudden go back to full speed. is the card fooked or do you think its a driver or setting issue?
never owned a NV card before alos had ATI so any reccomdations on settings the i should automaticaly turn on or off etc? or what drivers to use ive got the 77.72 ones atm.

comp spec is:
a64 3200+
asus A8V deluxe
1 gig crucial ram
leadtek 6800GT
i know its nothin else in the comp because i had a x800 pro (it died :thumbdwn: ) before and everything was perfect

cheers for any help

macatak
07-29-05, 06:42 AM
Sounds abit like the card is "throttling" due to lack of power supply, how have you connected the card, is there anything else running of the power lead that connnect to your card ?

Spin20vt
07-29-05, 06:56 AM
Yes i think there might be something else attached to the power lead going into the gfx. should i remove everything else and have the gfx card as the only one attached to that cable?

Superfly
07-29-05, 07:14 AM
^^ Yes

Spin20vt
07-29-05, 08:19 AM
what sort of temp does the card start to throttle down as this could be the problem, after a hour or so gaming my gpu temperature was about 54c does that sound a bit high?

macatak
07-29-05, 09:00 AM
During gaming temps around 70*C to 80*C are quite normal, 54*C is very cool, that's what my cards temps are at idle

supra
07-29-05, 10:36 AM
what sort of temp does the card start to throttle down as this could be the problem, after a hour or so gaming my gpu temperature was about 54c does that sound a bit high?

ya dont confuse normal gpu temps to cpu temps. gpu's generally run hotter then cpu's.

If you look in your nVidia display properties you should have "Temperature Settings" if its in the green zone its all good ;)

Wolfhound
07-30-05, 02:52 AM
Post your voltage settings, it looks like some undervolting.

Spin20vt
07-30-05, 07:24 AM
Post your voltage settings, it looks like some undervolting.

my current voltage is. AGP volts = 1.5V

this is just default setting i have not changed it

macatak
07-30-05, 08:46 AM
Are you running the latest BIOS and Motherboard drivers, i see there is a couple of BIOS updates that address some AGP issues with the A8V Deluxe. What size have you set your AGP Aperture set at ?

OWA
07-30-05, 08:47 AM
You're probably not doing this but if you're overclocking the card, try it at stock. If you overclock too far, it'll also cause the card to hang for around 10 seconds, then continue at much lower fps.

Might also want to try underclocking it a little to see how that goes. It may shed some light on what the problem is.

Edit: Also, make sure you turn fastwrites OFF. If you don't have them off already, that would be what I'd try first.

Spin20vt
07-30-05, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the help and ideas guys much appreciated,
Ok, ive now got it on its own power cable and turned fast write off it has made it much better, still does it the odd time, so i have just updated my bios and chipset drivers to try that will report back after testing it. my agp aperture is set at 256 as ive heard this helps too?