PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I use this version of Forceware ?

rijnton
07-29-05, 07:04 AM
Because I would like to play NVidia Pinball, a friend gave me an image of Forceware (v 6.31) which should contain this game. Unfortunately I can not do anything with it. When I try to do the setup, which should give an option to do a custom setup (to install the game), I get the message: "Forceware was unable to detect the minimum NVIDIA GPU requirements... etc. Setup will now exit". I HAVE a NVIDIA (6800GT) videocard, so I don't understand this. What is the reason that I can not do the setup and is there anything I can do to install the game as yet ?. Thanks in advance for any help.

rewt
07-29-05, 07:38 AM
A driver that old would most certainly not support your card.

I would suggest installing WinRAR and right-clicking on the file to extract its contents. Then maybe you could install the game separately.

rewt
07-29-05, 07:57 AM
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/soldier_universe.html

There doesn't appear to be a download link. However I did some searching and the file appears to be over 500MB! Do you have a CD with the game on it?

Oh and as it appears 6.31 is an nForce chipset driver and that would require you to have an nForce4 compatible motherboard to install.

rijnton
07-29-05, 08:11 AM
Thanks for replying.
The game should be included in the Forceware (or Detonator ?) I wrote about. I got it as an image file, which I burnt on an cd. After running the setup.exe on it I should get an option for custom setup, to install only the pinball game. But like I said I can not get the setup running for my card.
There are 2 data.cab (data1.cab and data2.cab) files on the burnt cd, but I can not open them with Winrar.

rewt
07-29-05, 08:33 AM
Zipscan can extract Installshield cab files. http://www.zipscan.co.uk/

rijnton
07-29-05, 09:46 AM
Thanks again rewt. Great help ! After installing the trial version of Zipscan and a needed dll file ( I could find with Google), I could extract the cab file. In it is, amongst others, the nvpinball.exe, and I can play it now. Wow !

One more question, which I will also post in another section because it has not to do with the subject in the title of my post. Maybe you know an answer to this too ?:
When I start the nvpinball.exe, I can play and have all the sounds, including special effects, music, voices and mechanical sounds. As long as I keep playing it is o.k. As soon as I exit however and start again, I only have the music. All the other sounds are gone. They return only after rebooting my pc and starting the game again. This happens only with this game. I never experienced this with other games (including other pinball sims).
What could be the cause of it ?

rewt
07-29-05, 10:55 AM
Great, I'm glad I could help you out :)

About the sound issue, it's a good question. I would guess a bug in the game itself. What kind of sound card and/or chipset do you have?

rijnton
07-29-05, 11:26 AM
My soundcard is an Audigy 2ZS with the latest drivers installed.
My video card is a Geforce 6800GT.
My mobo is MSI K8Neo with nVIDIA nForce3 chipset and an AMD Athlon 64+cpu.
Like I said all my other games do fine.

Jimi
07-30-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks again rewt. Great help ! After installing the trial version of Zipscan and a needed dll file ( I could find with Google), I could extract the cab file. In it is, amongst others, the nvpinball.exe, and I can play it now. Wow !

One more question, which I will also post in another section because it has not to do with the subject in the title of my post. Maybe you know an answer to this too ?:
When I start the nvpinball.exe, I can play and have all the sounds, including special effects, music, voices and mechanical sounds. As long as I keep playing it is o.k. As soon as I exit however and start again, I only have the music. All the other sounds are gone. They return only after rebooting my pc and starting the game again. This happens only with this game. I never experienced this with other games (including other pinball sims).
What could be the cause of it ?
I am surprised this game even works! NVIIDA was working with a developer on that title for GeForce3 over 3+ years ago. They never technically released it or sold it. Im really surprised it works. I know because I asked an NVIDIA dude at a tradeshow about it last year.

Good luck getting it to work, but it was never shipped so probably the code is long gone.

j0j081
07-31-05, 09:24 PM
How is the game?