PDA

View Full Version : Fan Speeds explained?

TB303
07-29-05, 12:34 PM
Hi People,
I've just installed my second 6800GT (XFX), after returning the previous 6800GT (Inno3D).

I'm again puzzled by the fan speed thing.
I'm running RivaTuner in analysis mode in teh background and looping 3Dmark05 and comparing the core temps and the fan voltage.

It seems that under factory settings, the fan is stuck at around 60% no matter what load the card is under (i.e. 3D or 2D). And this causes the core to reach 85C under stress.

If I run ExpertTool (the software), and set the fan to Dynamic - low and behold - teh fan start to react, throtteling up and down as needed and getting to 100% voltage when under load.

1. Is this normal behaviur?
2. Is there a registry tweak that I can do, other than runing ExpertTool all teh time (it wastes resources)?

What are your thoughts/experiences?

thanks!

jimmor
07-29-05, 06:38 PM
Hi People,
I've just installed my second 6800GT (XFX), after returning the previous 6800GT (Inno3D).

I'm again puzzled by the fan speed thing.
I'm running RivaTuner in analysis mode in teh background and looping 3Dmark05 and comparing the core temps and the fan voltage.

It seems that under factory settings, the fan is stuck at around 60% no matter what load the card is under (i.e. 3D or 2D). And this causes the core to reach 85C under stress.

If I run ExpertTool (the software), and set the fan to Dynamic - low and behold - teh fan start to react, throtteling up and down as needed and getting to 100% voltage when under load.

1. Is this normal behaviur?
2. Is there a registry tweak that I can do, other than runing ExpertTool all teh time (it wastes resources)?

What are your thoughts/experiences?

thanks!

A simple bios mod using NiBiTor v2.3 will allow you to set the fan speed in 2D or 3D to start at 100%. But this will require flashing your card !

Otherwise, as you have already found, EXPERtool is excellent at controlling your card's fan speed.

TB303
07-30-05, 12:34 PM
Does Flashing my card voids the warranty?

If so than I sould focus on a registry hack.

rohit
07-30-05, 02:28 PM
What drivers do you use. Drivers from 71.84 to 75.xx have problems of detecting higher temps.
76.44 and above have resolved that issue. and 69.xx till before dont have that issue.
Does flashing my card void the warranty?
Yes it does void the warranty.
2 of my friends have inno3d 68 ultra cards. they normally dont figit with their cards settings and all. i had requested them to check the fan-speed through expertool, but they didnt wanna take risk. instead they said, wen the comp starts, the FAN is very loud, and till windows loads, it becomes very silent, that shows the cards fan reduces till 50%-60% fan speed. their temps on full load are upto 80*C. and HL2 makes it go upto 84*C at times. They said they have no problems with the cards they have.
The GPU throttles back at temp 120.
you should be good till 85*C to 95*C.

P.S: i still dont understand what made you think, that changing brand will help the fan-speed. as a brand, i would prefer inno3d, more to xfx. i have had 3 dead cards, and 4th spoilt card from xfx, and so i changed to inno3d gf ti4200 (which, IMO, was way better than xfx's). its still alive.

TB303
07-30-05, 03:38 PM
Well,
The inno3D card was clearly flawed, as I have on avarage 10C lower temps with the XFX.
Personally I think the HSF wasn't sitted properly, but I didn't want to resit it and void teh warranty.

XFX have two years warranty compared with 1 for inno3D, and at least for me, XFX are actually based in the UK - I've personally talked with some people there and they assured me they tale teh warranty stuff seriously.

I too, hit a max of around 85C now under load, but that's with the fan stuck at 60%, if it goes at 100% (with ExperTool) it doesn't go above 80C - which makes me happy.

PS
I also have a very hot case, 50C ambient.

Where's the registry hack?
RivaTuner has soem registry settings under the advanced tab, but I don't know what to do exactly and don't want to incidentaly STOP the fan and fry the card... ;-))

EDIT: I'm using the latest official drivers - 77.72

jimmor
07-31-05, 03:58 AM
Does Flashing my card voids the warranty?

If so than I sould focus on a registry hack.

It shouldn't, if you are just flashing with your own bios moded to set fan at 100%.

And to my knowledge, there is no registry hack. So you can either use something like EXPERtool, or mod and flash your bios.

jimmor
07-31-05, 04:02 AM
PS
I also have a very hot case, 50C ambient.

Too high, so improve your case airflow to reduce the 50C ambient. Or, if not possible, then suggest you fix a good airflow fan to force air directly over the card.

TB303
07-31-05, 04:59 AM
Too high, so improve your case airflow to reduce the 50C ambient. Or, if not possible, then suggest you fix a good airflow fan to force air directly over the card.

I may have been in accurate...

The case temps are 43C going up to 50-60C under load.
I have installed fans in just about everywhere taht I could in the case - they all work at full capacity, yet the air coming out the back is very warm...

Regarding teh GPU, right in front of it, in the next avilable PCI slot I have an AKASA blower, that's supposed to take the hot air off the GPU...

My only problem is that I don't have an effective "front intake" - somoething like a blower that I can install at the front of the case (at the 5.25" bay) and would suck cold air INTO the case...

PS
One thing that may be responsible, I have one tiny fan on the Mobo that doesn't work, it's so small (40mm) and surrounded by huge working fans that I'm not worried. It says on teh fan AGP x8/x4 - is it significant at all? it's NOT the CPU fan.

thanks!

jimmor
07-31-05, 07:38 AM
I may have been in accurate...

The case temps are 43C going up to 50-60C under load.
I have installed fans in just about everywhere taht I could in the case - they all work at full capacity, yet the air coming out the back is very warm...

Regarding teh GPU, right in front of it, in the next avilable PCI slot I have an AKASA blower, that's supposed to take the hot air off the GPU...

My only problem is that I don't have an effective "front intake" - somoething like a blower that I can install at the front of the case (at the 5.25" bay) and would suck cold air INTO the case...

PS
One thing that may be responsible, I have one tiny fan on the Mobo that doesn't work, it's so small (40mm) and surrounded by huge working fans that I'm not worried. It says on teh fan AGP x8/x4 - is it significant at all? it's NOT the CPU fan.

thanks!

People who overclock their kit must ensure they have good case airflow. Otherwise there can be a buidup of high temp, and thus damaging, pockets of air within the case. And nothing wrong with warm air being expelled from back of your case, as long as adequate cool air is being pushed into the front.

Some cases also use a side cover mounted fan, which is in many instancies is excellent for applying cool air directly to CPU and GPU.

And the small 40mm fan is probably for cooling the "northbridge" chip, and is thus very important if overclocking the CPU. Does the heatsink under the fan appear to be running excessively hot ?

TB303
07-31-05, 02:46 PM
thanks for the feedback,
About the "northbridge" fan - to be honest I didn't try to dismantle it, I just tried to re-connect the power cable in hope of maybe getting the fan to run again - it didn't work.

PS
I wouldn't worry about OCing anything, with such hi temps in the case already... ;-))

TB303
08-22-05, 02:27 PM
Just to bump this thread,
We know that in RivaTuner in the advanced Registry section there are some lines for Fan control, anyone knows how I can modify those registry entries (or which entries) to set my fan at 100% all the time?

Im runnig ExperTool at the moment, but it is yet another little proggy that takes performance off of my machine... ;-))

please advise, thanks.

PS
I would have posted this in RivaTuner's forums, but sadly they are in Russian.

jimmor
08-22-05, 05:23 PM
Just to bump this thread,
We know that in RivaTuner in the advanced Registry section there are some lines for Fan control, anyone knows how I can modify those registry entries (or which entries) to set my fan at 100% all the time?

please advise, thanks.

PS
I would have posted this in RivaTuner's forums, but sadly they are in Russian.

You can post any Rivatuner questions here,

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

TB303
08-23-05, 04:19 PM
Thanks!

bugmage
08-24-05, 12:03 PM
I have a 6600 gt that runs at 80*C do you think the fan is running at 100% ?
brand is a xfx (one with sli)

jimmor
08-24-05, 07:25 PM
I have a 6600 gt that runs at 80*C do you think the fan is running at 100% ?
brand is a xfx (one with sli)

Just load your bios into NiBiTor v2.4, and the "temperatures" tab will show the current stock 2D/3D fan startup speeds ?

And the 80C seems a bit high for your card. So if fan is currently at 100% and working ok, then maybe you need to look at other things like basic case cooling -----> unless of course its simply because you happen to live in a very hot part of the world ?

RealLifePixelShader
08-25-05, 07:32 AM
Yes and if you got a new card that is still under warrenty let the fan run at max all the time to ensure that it packs up before the warrenty goes then you can get a free upgrade.

Thats what's happend to my 6800GT now I'm getting a free upgrade to 7800GTX

TB303
08-26-05, 12:58 PM
Yes and if you got a new card that is still under warrenty let the fan run at max all the time to ensure that it packs up before the warrenty goes then you can get a free upgrade.

Thats what's happend to my 6800GT now I'm getting a free upgrade to 7800GTX

Isn't this a bit of a dangerous strategy?

With my 6800GT when teh fan does die on me eventually, and lets say I've been playing GTA:SA for hours without noticing... I could me fry the card without noticing... and then when I RMA it they will tell e the warranty was voided due to "overclocking"....

What do you think?