PDA

View Full Version : PSP-Homebrew question

aAv7
07-29-05, 03:30 PM
I still own a snes and a butt-load of games. So my question is legit since I own the originals, I was wondering how well the snes emulator(s) work on psp? Super Punch-out, final fantasy 3, chrono trigger, and tecmo superbowl 3 are the ones im really interested in knowing. (do they work?)

I'm thinking about buying a psp, but i've played through my friends system, and everything out right now is ...meh...not to my liking...this winter has alot of decent psp games coming, so i'm thinking of waiting till then to get one....

only thing is, I figure if at least a decent snes emulator is around, I'll buy a psp now and tinker with that. (cause I know when wwe raw vs. smackdown 06 comes out 11/14 and other games for psp, I wont be interested in snes emulation lol)

Has anyone tried the emu(s)? Hows the compatibility?

Mr. Hunt
07-29-05, 03:45 PM
Well most of the games I tried on NES and SNES worked on my PSP emulator... If you are buying a new PSP your chances of getting a 1.0 or 1.5 firmware PSP are slim... especially if you are waiting until the end of the year... right now 1.51, 1.52, and the newly released 2.0 haven't been cracked yet to run homebrew.

Some SNES games (Mega Man X is the main one I noticed) can run somewhat slow... The emulator I used allowed you to "overclock" (technically get the REAL PSP clock, 333 mhz instead of 233) which helped a lot... but I think the main problem was the emulator itself needed more optimisation rather than PSP not being able to handle it.

Of course it was quite a while ago when I tested the stuff so it has probable advanced way more since then... I updated to 2.0 so I can't check now :\.

aAv7
07-29-05, 03:59 PM
Yea, I understand about the Bios, luckily 2.0 isn't pre-loaded with psp's yet. I've been doing alot of searching and reading online and it seems the 1.51 and 1.52 bios will be able to be cracked, whatever flaws found, still exist in them, but everyone has said 2.0 can't be cracked, Sony covered all the tracks with the 2.0 release =/. So i'll make sure to stay far,far away from it.

Stupid question....if you can upgrade to bios 2.0, isn't there a way to downgrade to 1.5?

aAv7
07-29-05, 04:13 PM
I guess it's useless, I just read that when sony releases the 2.0 firmware in America, every game you buy from that point on is going to NEED 2.0 firmware in order to work. So basically, anyone who wants to play emu's and psp games, would need 2 psp's, one that can keep the old firmware and just play emu's and 1st gen psp games and one that can play psp games after Q1 06.. boooooo!!

Methinks I'll purchase a DS. It too has a snes emu, but you need a wifi card. (Hopefully my linksys router can do the job...if not...i'll buy a wifi pci card)

Mr. Hunt
07-29-05, 06:00 PM
I guess it's useless, I just read that when sony releases the 2.0 firmware in America, every game you buy from that point on is going to NEED 2.0 firmware in order to work. So basically, anyone who wants to play emu's and psp games, would need 2 psp's, one that can keep the old firmware and just play emu's and 1st gen psp games and one that can play psp games after Q1 06.. boooooo!!

Methinks I'll purchase a DS. It too has a snes emu, but you need a wifi card. (Hopefully my linksys router can do the job...if not...i'll buy a wifi pci card)

NOOOO! Do not go to the Dark Side Anakin!

1337_Like_ThaT
07-29-05, 06:42 PM
aAv7 your avatar is awesome. Super Punch Out was one of the sweetest games I had played for Super Nintendo. That and Donkey Kong Counry were the primary reaons why I had purchased the console ;)

aAv7
07-29-05, 06:43 PM
NOOOO! Do not go to the Dark Side Anakin!

lol.

Actually, after checking ebgames website, it seems i'm more interested in the DS line-up for this year than I am the PSP one. Better gfx and all, the psp only has about 3 titles i'd like to check out and 2 of them will be on ps2 (which I already own)

Both hand-helds are crap for emulators.

Firmware 2.0 is killing emulation and you need 2.0 to play new releases in 06. I'm not about to buy two systems to play emu's.

DS requires a select wi-fi compatible card and a gba cartridge copier. Too much work...I'll stick to playing snes games on my snes...just woulda been nice to get a game of super-punch out on the go.

So since emu's are pretty much being buried, I looked through the actual games for both.

I figure DS has the funnest looking stuff for now, animal crossing, metroid hunters, mario kart, smash bros 2, gultiy gear x, lunar dragon story, castlevania and madden 06. (why couldnt they do all this with their FIRST 64-bit system!?) I'm also betting most of these snes games I wish for, will be sold on the DS in the same "calssics" form that the nes games were sold on gameboy advance. So my safest bet is a DS for now.

PSP has alot of decent stuff, but for now 90% is on ps2. They need better exclusives. I'll definately buy one when FF7:Crisis Core comes out. (dont care much for the hyped advent children movie) but thats not until March 06 at earliest.

Just gonna get a DS for now, but thanks for your help Mr. Hunt. :D

aAv7
07-29-05, 06:45 PM
aAv7 your avatar is awesome. Super Punch Out was one of the sweetest games I had played for Super Nintendo. That and Donkey Kong Counry were the primary reaons why I had purchased the console ;)

Hey thanks man! I like your's too! I absolutely LOVE the Punch-out series. It's a damn shame in all this time Nintendo hasn't bothered making a new one for the n64,gba or gamecube. Maybe they can do a DS or Revolution version? :)

1337_Like_ThaT
07-29-05, 07:07 PM
Thanks Thanks :D aAv7, one question, in the orignal Mike Tyson Punchout for NEs, were you ever able to defeat Mike Tyson?? I still have not defeated him to this date LOL :9 Dude PunchOut on the DS, OMG I can just see it already.

I own both DS and PSP and dude you should definately go for the PSP, I was luckily enough to pick up the 1.50, and am soon to upgrade to 2.0 since I'm not much of an emulator type of person!!! Trust me you won't regret it.

aAv7
07-29-05, 07:34 PM
Thanks Thanks :D aAv7, one question, in the orignal Mike Tyson Punchout for NEs, were you ever able to defeat Mike Tyson?? I still have not defeated him to this date LOL :9 Dude PunchOut on the DS, OMG I can just see it already.

I own both DS and PSP and dude you should definately go for the PSP, I was luckily enough to pick up the 1.50, and am soon to upgrade to 2.0 since I'm not much of an emulator type of person!!! Trust me you won't regret it.

Oh yeah, I'll be buying a PSP, but I'm gonna wait a bit. Not much catching my eye except the emulation possibilities. Which wont be possible soon. =/

Tyson is a bitch to beat. Watch his eyebrows, from what I remember, he always raises his brows real quick right before he throws a punch. I've literally beat him once. The re-vised edition was alot easier. (After tysons rape trial and nintendo taking him out of the game)

(tried sending you the tyson info via PM but it says you are maxed.)

Bad_Boy
07-29-05, 09:02 PM
dont wait too long, i wouldnt be surprized if they start boxing psp's with 2.0 in the fall. they already begun 1.51 and 1.52 which cannot run homebrew. and me personally, i dont see them being cracked for a few months. everybody seems to think it takes an hour to a day to crack these things. (not you, just the general psp scene) :/

if i had already updated to 1.51 or 1.52 off some stupid reason or whatever, id go ahead and up to 2.0. but for now im keeping my 1.5

every game ive tried ran on the snes emulator, it just depends on the game how smoothly they run. but dont get me wrong, most games ran pretty smooth. if its not smooth enough for you, you can always crank it up to normal speed, which is 333mhz.
and everybody says this will hurt your psp if you go up to 333mhz, but thing is, its not truly overclocking, its the speed the psp was designed to play at. and i havent heard of stories of anyones psp being fubar because of it.

if you list some titles i could probably grab them and tell you how well they run later. good thing about the snes emulator, its seems they come out every a different version every day pumping up new features and better run speed. (im talking literary every day)

tristancarton
07-29-05, 09:38 PM
aav7, it's only been about a month or two since emulators were started on the psp and there have already been vast improvements in them. i have only used the snes9x emu and it's only been on the rpg games (yes the ones you mentioned above) and they seem to run very well with the latest version and setting the cpu to run at 333.

this is with a few month old software emulation. i have no doubt that in a few months the software emulator will work at a full 100 percent speed with the default cpu speed of 233. in addition many emus are starting to code for hardware support.(meaning the psp gpu does work)

1337_Like_ThaT
07-29-05, 09:49 PM
Oh yeah, I'll be buying a PSP, but I'm gonna wait a bit. Not much catching my eye except the emulation possibilities. Which wont be possible soon. =/

Tyson is a bitch to beat. Watch his eyebrows, from what I remember, he always raises his brows real quick right before he throws a punch. I've literally beat him once. The re-vised edition was alot easier. (After tysons rape trial and nintendo taking him out of the game)

(tried sending you the tyson info via PM but it says you are maxed.)

Holy Smokes!!! never realized my Pms were maxed!! LOL Thanks so much aAv7 for letting me know, I was expecting some PMs that were never received, I've been like wut the hell?? LoL Could you try sending me the tyson info. again??? i am still determined to to beat him. hehe thanks :D

aAv7
07-29-05, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

But I figure a v1.5 is damn near impossible to find new, and I have something about these psp's. I dont want a used one, the whole deal pixel, bubbles issue...and scratches from first-hand use...think i'll stick with a DS for the time being and see if they ever make a emu-work around for a psp w/ fw 2.0.

aAv7
07-29-05, 10:09 PM
But badboy..if you could check super punch-out for snes....I'd appreciate it! =D

Bad_Boy
07-30-05, 12:34 AM
actually, if you check the box in the store...near the bar code...the psp boxes with a letter A or no letter have 1.5, and a box with a letter B have 1.51 or 1.52. go ahead and get a psp at ebgames with a warranty, youll be happier in the end ;)

just tried super punch out, worked great. havent played that game in years, was fun. :D

aAv7
07-30-05, 12:05 PM
what are you doing to meeeeeeeeee?! Just when I was content on a DS you go and tell me super punch-out works great lol. :p

Crap...now I gotta think about this lol.

Thanks for checking it for me!

Bad_Boy
07-30-05, 12:44 PM
its your money bro ;)

im sure whatever you buy, you will be happy with.
the question is, which one will you be more happier with.