PDA

View Full Version : So I just installed Service Pack 2..

0rk.p0rk
07-29-05, 07:44 PM
And now everytime I log on (each username) my desktop icons and the start menu loads as normal, but dissapears after 5 seconds. I can't even CTRL+ALT+DELETE the task manager, so they only way I can run anything is if i double click the icon before it dissapears (which is how I'm online right now.)

Um...help?

rewt
07-29-05, 08:24 PM
Well considering Service Pack 2 updates hundreds if not thousands of files it's going to be hard determining which one is causing the problem. I think you're best bet is slipstreaming SP2 into your original Windows installation files and reinstalling (AutoStreamer is a great app for this task - search google). If that isn't feasible then boot into safe mode and see what you can accomplish that way.

I always do a slipsteam/reinstall of Windows when a new Service Pack is released. To me, installing a service pack on a system that has already been in use for some time is not a very good idea (even though Microsoft says it is).

Slyder
07-30-05, 04:15 AM
To me, installing a service pack on a system that has already been in use for some time is not a very good idea (even though Microsoft says it is).

Damm right. ;)