PDA

View Full Version : First 512mb AGP card!

Pages : [1] 2

anzak
07-30-05, 05:00 PM
512mb Chaintech Geforce 6200 w/ 64bit memory! :screwy: :rofl

Here are some user reviews from Newegg. :D

Excellent card for the money

Ok to clear this all up in simple words. The performance of the geforce 6200 512mb is great better than the 6600. But The gefore 6600 128mb has better grapics but slower fps speeds.

And my personal favorite.

wowzerz this card is the bestest. with 512mb of ram its even faster then the 256mb 7800gtx!!!! why pay more for less!!! most awesomest card there is right here. newegg and fedex ROX!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145121

I created this thread to warn you of this cards existence. Don't let your friends of family be suckered into the 512mb memory. ;)

PeterJensen
07-30-05, 05:05 PM
Wtf Lol

:udawg:

Tantawi
07-30-05, 05:07 PM
Lol :d

Toss3
07-30-05, 05:25 PM
LoL, I almost laughed at this as much as I laughed at my friend when he baught a 256mb version of the 9600 ;)

Roliath
07-30-05, 05:45 PM
wowzerz this card is the bestest. with 512mb of ram its even faster then the 256mb 7800gtx!!!! why pay more for less!!! most awesomest card there is right here. newegg and fedex ROX!!!!
Are people really that stupid?

angshuman
07-30-05, 06:29 PM
Are people really that stupid?
I think this particular person was being sarcastic.

toxikneedle
07-30-05, 06:56 PM
This always pisses me off, why do people comment on Fedex in the PRODUCT REVIEW. In fact, this is my opinion, I think FEDex is the biggest piece of crap mail service in the world... compared to UPS at least. But anyways, this maybe the most stupidest buy you can make out of all the 6 Series cards.

Treason
07-30-05, 08:44 PM
Go go nVidia!

Arachnid
07-30-05, 09:04 PM
Who would want to buy this card even if it existed, with a lousy 64bit memory interface resulting in crappy bandwidth + excess on board memory which isn't going to help at all.

Edit - WTF!!!!!! I thought this card was a joke until I went to Chaintech.com (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=14&PISNo=328)

gram_vaz
07-30-05, 09:08 PM
it's sad because there are stupid people that don't research which card is the best and it's also sad because manufacturers aim these cards at the uninformed n00bs that think 512mb is going to make their card faster.

anzak
07-30-05, 09:28 PM
This was done with FX 5200 cards. Everytime I went to Best Buy I'd see someone pick up a 256mb 5200 when it was sitting next to a 128mb Radeon 9600 pro for the same price. :rolleyes:

SH64
07-30-05, 11:19 PM
Haha now lets see how many ignorant people will step into that trap .. :lol2:

ragejg
07-31-05, 12:13 AM
This was also done with 128mb GF4 MX440 (lol) and GF3 ti200 cards... :D

aZn_plyR
07-31-05, 03:27 AM
"Under the 6200, your games will suck.
Come on, now, do you really think last year's chip can beat nVidia's latest?
Kids these days, I tell ya.

Heavy-duty games like Doom 3 will eat this card and laugh.
Every human of normal intelligence knows this.
Anyway, no game uses 512 megs, because no one has it yet.
Duh."

Woot there goes someone with a brain.

msxyz
07-31-05, 03:44 AM
Face it: the vast majority of cards sold is comprised of ATi 9200/9500s or Nvidia FX5200s with 64bit interfaces and a disproportionate amount of memory.

I've even heard some clerks in the storesd pushing some cheap-ass PCIe cards (like the X300,6200TC) over more beefy AGP products "because PCIe has twice the bandwidth of AGP"...

Acid Rain
07-31-05, 06:07 AM
But it's 512 megabytz. Teh fastorzz ever. Genesis iz only 16bit and teh PS id only 33 megahorze. :D

You can sell the masses nearly anything. I know this from working electronics retail in the past. It's all about megabytes with graphics cards, it's all about the gigawertz with cpus. People often insisted on getting the fastest cpu ever for games, even though, in order to achieve this, they'd run out the door with Intel Extreme Graphics because they couldn't afford a real graphics chip after having been raped by Intel for the cpu. And, of course, it had to be Intel for the "much higher stability and gigawertzz".:rolleyes: *Edit* This was about a year and a half ago, so AMD was indeed kicking, and the platform was a very stable and fast choice. I'm not talking about the early days, which we all know are ancient PC history.

Practically every customer required lengthy education in order to make a worthwhile purchase, and even then, sadly, I'm sure they ran everything at defaults with no AA/AF whatsoever. Makes me wonder how the average person even survives sometimes, without ever doing a hint of research.

jolle
07-31-05, 06:21 AM
Cant help wondering what drove Chaintech to do this..
Maybe so ignorants will make sure to buy THEIR 6200 cards, since it "must be so much faster" with all that RAM..
I mean where are all the 512mb Highend cards? those that really need it? (or rahter, have a chance to take advantage of it in the latest titles)
I guess they require faster and more expensive memory, but still.

rohit
07-31-05, 10:19 AM
But it's 512 megabytz. Teh fastorzz ever. Genesis iz only 16bit and teh PS id only 33 megahorze.

You can sell the masses nearly anything. I know this from working electronics retail in the past. It's all about megabytes with graphics cards, it's all about the gigawertz with cpus. People often insisted on getting the fastest cpu ever for games, even though, in order to achieve this, they'd run out the door with Intel Extreme Graphics because they couldn't afford a real graphics chip after having been raped by Intel for the cpu. And, of course, it had to be Intel for the "much higher stability and gigawertzz". *Edit* This was about a year and a half ago, so AMD was indeed kicking, and the platform was a very stable and fast choice. I'm not talking about the early days, which we all know are ancient PC history.

Practically every customer required lengthy education in order to make a worthwhile purchase, and even then, sadly, I'm sure they ran everything at defaults with no AA/AF whatsoever. Makes me wonder how the average person even survives sometimes, without ever doing a hint of research.
:roflol :lmao :lol" hahahahahahahahjahahaha

john19055
07-31-05, 10:03 PM
A lot of people that know no better see that 512mb on the card and think it has got to be better then a 6800ultra that only has 256mb.

Acid Rain
07-31-05, 11:36 PM
I know. Which is actually quite a lazy and ignorant approach. I may not be a race car driver, and certainly don't know all there is to know about cars, but I sure as HELL didn't buy my car because it had teh biggest gazz tank ever! I researched the hell out of them and chose the best road scorcher I could afford. That's how you dodge the salesman, as well as other ignorant people telling you falicies. Also fun is just walking onto the lot, knowing exactly what you want, and telling the salesman "Stuff your lines, give me that car!"

zachary
08-01-05, 01:38 PM
They put on that big fancy heatsink with a fan just to help fool the ignorant. That's the nv44a chip, the one that's passively cooled on every card but this one.

CaptNKILL
08-01-05, 03:37 PM
LoL, I almost laughed at this as much as I laughed at my friend when he baught a 256mb version of the 9600 ;)
Hey thats not that bad... was it a 9600 or a 9600 Pro or XT? A 9600 Pro can probably use the extra memory in newer games.

This card is rediculous though... in Battlefield 2 itd probably help at max settings, but the card isnt really fast enough to run the game smoothly with max texture details anyway.

angshuman
08-01-05, 04:26 PM
Anandtech previously gave this card the award for "the most pointless video card ever made". I think it's a brilliant move on the part of Chaintech. They probably laugh their a**es off every time one of these gets sold on Newegg :rofl

Mr. Nice
08-01-05, 05:44 PM
Cant help wondering what drove Chaintech to do this..
Because slow memory is dirt cheap. As others have given previous examples of, you always get versions of the slow cards with the crippled memory bandwidth with silly amounts of memory, because memory that bad is cheap.

Hey thats not that bad... was it a 9600 or a 9600 Pro or XT? A 9600 Pro can probably use the extra memory in newer games.

This card is rediculous though... in Battlefield 2 itd probably help at max settings, but the card isnt really fast enough to run the game smoothly with max texture details anyway.Well that's the point which makes it silly isn't it, that the extra memory is virtually useless since fillrate will give out long before 512mb is filled with textures (plus frame buffer and stuff for pedants). And I'm sure the 9600 is struggling beyond 128mb of textures as well.

CaptNKILL
08-01-05, 05:57 PM
Because slow memory is dirt cheap. As others have given previous examples of, you always get versions of the slow cards with the crippled memory bandwidth with silly amounts of memory, because memory that bad is cheap.

Well that's the point which makes it silly isn't it, that the extra memory is virtually useless since fillrate will give out long before 512mb is filled with textures (plus frame buffer and stuff for pedants). And I'm sure the 9600 is struggling beyond 128mb of textures as well.
Yeah a 9600 would, but a 9600 Pro or better would be fine with more than 128Mb. I have my old system running bf2 with a 9600 Pro and it runs very smooth at medium\low settings but I get hitches when I run out of memory. The card is perfectly capable of running the game smoothly, it just cant meet the memory requirements.

A 512Mb 6200 is completely rediculous though... being 64bit just adds insult to injury. A 64bit 6200 is probably quite a bit slower than a 9600 Pro in most games... it has no business having that much memory onboard.