PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Pc Gaming :-)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fighting Spirit
07-31-05, 01:01 PM
Hello to you all!

New here and just wanted to say hello and to post this nice thing i found and its really good news indeed for us Pc Gamers!

My hat of for M$..this seems super good, billy boy back for what he came for the good ole Pc hehe! :D

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1841218,00.asp

DoomUK
07-31-05, 02:24 PM
Thanks for that article.

Any PC gamer worthy of the title knows that, always, the next gen of games console won't stand a chance against a high-end gaming PC in the long (*cough* short) run. XBOX360 & PS3 look pretty on paper right now, but will be crushed in 12-18 months time :cool:.

Fighting Spirit
08-01-05, 06:27 AM
Thanks for that article.

Any PC gamer worthy of the title knows that, always, the next gen of games console won't stand a chance against a high-end gaming PC in the long (*cough* short) run. XBOX360 & PS3 look pretty on paper right now, but will be crushed in 12-18 months time :cool:.

Hello there..couldent agre with you more but now it seems that the Pc will go neck to neck directly for the first time hehe :D

So even when they come out or should I say the Pc is allready better couse the new console got crap CPU but the GPU they get is okey..for a short while only!

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 06:33 AM
Gaming isn't going to die on either sides of the systems, their will always be PC Gaming and their will always be Consoles. As for which are better, it all depends on the player. Just saying PC Games are better because their usually graphically superior is stupid.

As an owner of consoles and a PC Gaming rig I can say I have more time playing on consoles then on my PC. While there are some great PC games they just release to far apart, every month there is a great console game released...

jolle
08-01-05, 06:53 AM
Gaming isn't going to die on either sides of the systems
But they might become so close that they merge..
The way they keep expanding the functionallity of consoles, using PC APIs etc.
It seems a bit like MS wants to bring the Xbox and the PC together, prolly partly to make it easier to port the games, or in the end not having to port them.

Who knows, maybe one day a future Xbox iteration will be nothing but a Dediacted Game PC, running the same OS and games as the PC, but with restrictions in the OS on what apps it may run, while the PC is as it is now, "fully featured"..

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 07:08 AM
They will not merge on a whole ever, there are way too many third party developers who can care less about either PC or Consoles. While as a first party (MS for example) might try to merge them, the third parties will most likely either abandon the console or not bring their titles to the following system.

killahsin
08-01-05, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure that will ever be a solid model jolle. Only due to the nature of the costs of high end hardware on a gaming pc versus the cost cutting methodology of designing consoles. What may in fact happen is that the mnore strict nature of the apis on graphics hardware, may just make the pc scale much much higher visually then the console can achieve. I mean you may end up with the xbox or ps becomming a ga,ming pc of sorts, but never of the same quality. Only due to the costs of the consoles. Noones going to pay 1200 for a high end 'console'.(thats ruffly around manu pricing for a 3kish pc) Well maybe some would but, you know what I mean.

jolle
08-01-05, 09:25 AM
yeah there is that, console games are written for a fixed hardware platform, while the PC is scalable.
But then again, you could just write the game, and have a certain setting that will be automaticly run on the console, and let the WinSAT recommend you a setting on the PC, which you can override.
It would require more scalable content in the game perhaps, but its prolly less work then making a port later on anyhow.

the hardware of the consoles is getting closer to the PC, specially with the Xbox since it used acctual PC hardware and not obscure RISC type chips.
Now Xbox360 and I think PS3 aswell is using the Direct3D9 API, MS released the XNA development tools for PC aswell to ease crossplatform development for PC and Xbox.

Well, I dunno, its just a theory I cooked up looking at MS.
Prolly wont happen, but I dont doubt they will get closer to eachother.
the PC will prolly move a bit close to the consoles with Longhorn.

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 09:41 AM
PS3 uses OpenGL API, It's Nvidia hardware.

six_storm
08-01-05, 02:02 PM
I'm going with next gen consoles just for the simple fact that they are 10x cheaper. Also, it's kinda nice to just pop in a DVD (game) and the game will work instead of having to update, test and etc like you would with *some* PC Games.

EDIT - I just switched to the Mac world so there's another reason.

Fighting Spirit
08-01-05, 02:08 PM
I'm going with next gen consoles just for the simple fact that they are 10x cheaper. Also, it's kinda nice to just pop in a DVD (game) and the game will work instead of having to update, test and etc like you would with *some* PC Games.

EDIT - I just switched to the Mac world so there's another reason.

Well when Vista comes out you can do the same thing basicaly with the Pc
and with GFX so superior but as you say of course it will cost some more but heh as many knows you dont need the bleeding edge if you dont want to its up to you and you wallet :D

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 02:13 PM
Well when Vista comes out you can do the same thing basicaly with the Pc
and with GFX so superior but as you say of course it will cost some more but heh as many knows you dont need the bleeding edge if you dont want to its up to you and you wallet :D

No you wont, The game will still need to be transfered to the PC HD (even if the method is different from the current), There will still be driver issues, and all the other PC Issues. PC Gaming will never be as simple and stream lined as consoles just because of the nature of PCs.

Fighting Spirit
08-01-05, 02:28 PM
No you wont, The game will still need to be transfered to the PC HD (even if the method is different from the current), There will still be driver issues, and all the other PC Issues. PC Gaming will never be as simple and stream lined as consoles just because of the nature of PCs.

Yes of course it will not be all that simply but many more times and stable as it is now..Mr average Joy can even start to game on a Pc much easier than its now so in the end all will benefit of the new OS..hurray for M$ I say, pc Gaming will only gettin bigger after this no doubt about it :)

Mr newbie just can plug in a gamepad and start to enjoy what we Pc gamers done for years :D

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 02:36 PM
Are you an MS Spokesman or something? Honestly I hear alot of talk about how great Vista is going to be for the PC Gaming community but from what I have learned about MS OS's is that they are nothing more then bloatware. Their OS's keep eating up more and more memory every version, If they want Gamers to really like them, they need to create bare OS's for us.

Heck they should make 3 versions, Windows Vista Home, Professional and Gamer...

Zelda_fan
08-01-05, 03:00 PM
Are you an MS Spokesman or something? Honestly I hear alot of talk about how great Vista is going to be for the PC Gaming community but from what I have learned about MS OS's is that they are nothing more then bloatware. Their OS's keep eating up more and more memory every version, If they want Gamers to really like them, they need to create bare OS's for us.

Heck they should make 3 versions, Windows Vista Home, Professional and Gamer...

actually, from what MS is saying, it sounds like some of this stuff is really going to make gameing as easy as a console. Of course, if MS actually comes through it's a different story, but if they do do it, then Vista is going to be amazing.

Fighting Spirit
08-01-05, 03:35 PM
actually, from what MS is saying, it sounds like some of this stuff is really going to make gameing as easy as a console. Of course, if MS actually comes through it's a different story, but if they do do it, then Vista is going to be amazing.

Exactly my point there..some one feels so much better if they can bash MS but thanx to them we have XP and with the next OS you are right thats all about Gaming so when a Game starts it will unload unesesery backgrund stuff..think of it like a dos mode when a Game starts ;)

Why cant some folk atleast read whats its all about insteed of talking BS all the way heheh!

Zelda_fan
08-01-05, 03:40 PM
Exactly my point there..some one feels so much better if they can bash MS but thanx to them we have XP and with the next OS you are right thats all about Gaming so when a Game starts it will unload unesesery backgrund stuff..think of it like a dos mode when a Game starts ;)

Why cant some folk atleast read whats its all about insteed of talking BS all the way heheh!

I don't think it will ever be as easy as plug in a controller and pop in a disc, but I think it will be as easy as pop in a disc, let it install, and you are set.

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 03:43 PM
Why can't some folks learn to use proper Grammar and Spelling? Heck, I wasn't the one typing "M$", You were. I only stated that MS claiming their next OS is going to be so great means nothing since from what we have seen of their previous OS's, they have been nothing but bloatware compared to other OS's.

If it were possible to play all PC Games on any OS, You can dam well bet that most of the Gaming Community would move to either OSX or Linux.

jolle
08-01-05, 04:02 PM
PS3 uses OpenGL API, It's Nvidia hardware.
Ahh, I confused this up a bit:
The upcoming Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are based on DirectX 9 technology, in the case of the 360 it's "DirectX 9 and then a little more." But DirectX 10 is a whole different animal.
Missread it as using the acctually API, while thats not what it sais..

six_storm
08-01-05, 04:13 PM
Why can't some folks learn to use proper Grammar and Spelling? Heck, I wasn't the one typing "M$", You were. I only stated that MS claiming their next OS is going to be so great means nothing since from what we have seen of their previous OS's, they have been nothing but bloatware compared to other OS's.

If it were possible to play all PC Games on any OS, You can dam well bet that most of the Gaming Community would move to either OSX or Linux.

I agree with this statement. From what I've heard and seen thus far, Windows "Vista" (what a gay name for a OS) is just going to be a prettier version of XP. Woopdee Doo I say. No PC game, system or OS will ever shut out consoles period. PCs will become more expensive and will put more people in debt for games that they can play on a console and get the same (or close) experience for less money. Now, if gaming was half way descent on a Mac, you best bet that I'd be gaming right now hehe.

OWA
08-01-05, 05:06 PM
Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. I know I wouldn't. But, ...gasp...I'm fine with Microsoft and actually like most of their products.

MrSavoy
08-01-05, 05:20 PM
^^
I am also in the minority, while I dont love MS to death, I dont have a problem with them either. Their products and business strategy is no different than any other big business. Its just fashionable on the internet to hate on MS. I put my dislikes and hate where its due, but thats just me I guess. :rolleyes:

Acid Rain
08-02-05, 01:14 AM
Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. I know I wouldn't. But, ...gasp...I'm fine with Microsoft and actually like most of their products.Me too. Bloatware? Don't click yes at every turn, and disable many of the features the average Joe actually uses but gamers don't. That's what a gamer does with XP. XP resides in about 80mb for me, after all is tuned. I've got a gig of ram, so this doesn't concern me in the slightest. It never consumes enough that I don't have a good, fat chunk of surplus available, either, no matter what I run (I don't play BF2). If it did, I'd just get more ram. Done. Now wasn't that easy? ;)

If any Mac OS or Linux version were to be supported as heavily as XP, you'd likely see the exact same kinds of things happen. Though these "things" that happen under XP are almost never seen by myself. I usually skate along with no problems whatsoever, no matter what I do with the system, so I still don't understand how some of you have all these "problems".

retsam
08-02-05, 01:19 AM
so I still don't understand how some of you have all these "problems". come on man .... havent you learned by now ...these arent problems, there features... gee damn noobs, i have to straighten them out all the time :D ...

Acid Rain
08-02-05, 01:23 AM
Well, let's just put it this way. I have yet to see the "Blue Screen" feature on my system, since starting it up for the first time over a year ago. :p It's obviously highly elusive, as this system is on the lookout 24/7.