PDA

View Full Version : So who has their next-gen pre-orders in?

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
07-31-05, 07:31 PM
After going to about half a dozen different EB stores in the Chicago suburbs trying to pre-order an Xbox 360, I had just about given up hope. I was at their store in Rockford (about 75 miles from where I live) and happened to ask if they were still taking pre-orders for the 360 for pickup at launch. I was fully expecting them to say no like every other store, but not this one. They said their allocation was going to be 28 units and to this point had only about 15 pre-orders. I had to get in on that so now I'll have the system, Dead or Alive 4 and Tiger Woods 2006 available together. It's going to be a long drive the day the system comes out, but it's going to be worth it. :D

Mr. Hunt
07-31-05, 07:51 PM
I thought about preordering but I will not... no games coming out that really look good enough... especially any around launch... guess it will be like the original Xbox and you will have to wait a year for a decent game :\.

anzak
07-31-05, 07:54 PM
I thought about preordering but I will not... no games coming out that really look good enough... especially any around launch... guess it will be like the original Xbox and you will have to wait a year for a decent game :\.

Halo? Your definition of decent is really messed up. (crazy)

Mr. Hunt
07-31-05, 08:04 PM
Halo sucks... most overrated game ever and it didn't even do anything decent.

Anybody who says it is the best game ever must have never played any other game ever.

Sazar
07-31-05, 08:20 PM
After going to about half a dozen different EB stores in the Chicago suburbs trying to pre-order an Xbox 360, I had just about given up hope. I was at their store in Rockford (about 75 miles from where I live) and happened to ask if they were still taking pre-orders for the 360 for pickup at launch. I was fully expecting them to say no like every other store, but not this one. They said their allocation was going to be 28 units and to this point had only about 15 pre-orders. I had to get in on that so now I'll have the system, Dead or Alive 4 and Tiger Woods 2006 available together. It's going to be a long drive the day the system comes out, but it's going to be worth it. :D

Neat.

What all is coming with the retail pack? Number of controllers and all that jazz.

And what was the price?

kev13dd
07-31-05, 08:30 PM

Anybody who says it is the best game ever must have never played any other game ever.

Meh, I don't think it's overrated. It got it's rating for being exactly what it is. A fun single player experience (repetative yes, but it was great looking and was worth it) and the multiplayer was always a fun time. It was easy enough for a bunch of people to play, and the environment it brought when people played it was great. Halo 2... better looking, but not enough to counteract the repatativeness (especially since it's the same as the first). Either way, even if it wasn't the best game (which I still think it is for X-box at least, not even close for computer) it was still a GREAT launch title

K

Son Goku
07-31-05, 08:48 PM
I'm somewhat with Mr. Hunt here, minus judgement on Halo. It's kinda early IMO to decide which consoles to get. Personally, I'd rather get a better idea of what games are gonna come out on each, and then from there decide what to buy.

The tech which can end up in each is a nice discussion and all. But when it comes down to actual game playing, the game titles is where it really counts...

PSYCHODAD
07-31-05, 08:56 PM
No preorder yet.

LiquidX
07-31-05, 09:43 PM
I was thinking about doing it instore but I am just going to haunt every website until I can get one tax free being that I plan to buy alot. I already have over $400 saved for the system, atleast 2 games and the VGA adapter. Perfect Dark Zero is a must buy and maybe PGR but I really dont know what else I am getting. Hopefully Sega will announce some wierd game at TGS as a launch title. :cool:

evilchris
07-31-05, 09:46 PM

Heh, I waited about 2 mins in the checkout line at Xbox launch for a decent game. I'm glad I don't think every game sucks like you do.

evilchris
07-31-05, 09:47 PM

...in your opinion.

Tell us Mr. Hunt, what is tEH beSTESt gAME EbAR!!

GamerGuyX
07-31-05, 09:51 PM

Hmm I rather enjoy the Halo series...

Edge
07-31-05, 10:13 PM
If it didn't do ANYTHING decent, then you must be really disapointed with pretty much every FPS on the market, because none of them have had combat systems as good as Halo's. In fact, most end up end up "borrowing" many of the features that make Halo good, except that they don't do it as well. Usually, if a game is good enough to have "clones" based off them, then it must be pretty damn good.

Personally, I'll probably be waiting until the first price drop before picking up any new console. The Xbox 360 does have quite a few games that interest me greatly (Gears of War, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Nighty Nine Nights, Resident Evil 5, and most especially Perfect Dark Zero), but I think I'll still hold off on it since I have a lot of games from the current generation that I have to play first. PS3 I'll probably pick up eventually as well, but it's high expected price tag and a lack of certain features kinda turn me away, not to mention I found out that the footage of one of the major games for it that I was looking forward to turned out to not even be real-time (no, not Killzone 2). As for Revolution, well, we know even less about that system than we do the Phantom, so it's hard to make judgement on it at this point.

Bad_Boy
07-31-05, 10:22 PM
halo sucked imo, if it was released first on pc and then xbox it wouldnt have been as big as it was. truly overrated, but thats my opinion, and im sure a few of you disagree.

havent pre-ordered a xbox360 or ps3 yet, still waiting till facts are more concrete and solid. but ill most likely get ps3 at launch and xbox360 maybe for xmas, not really in a rush to get the 360.

j0j081
07-31-05, 10:38 PM
LMAO!!! I live a few minutes from that store. You went to the one near Best Buy at the corner of East State and Perryville right?

kev13dd
07-31-05, 10:41 PM
halo sucked imo, if it was released first on pc and then xbox it wouldnt have been as big as it was. truly overrated, but thats my opinion, and im sure a few of you disagree.

How so though. Saying you dislike something without stating why shows no insight whatsoever. What reasons do you have

K

Mr. Hunt
07-31-05, 11:09 PM
I just hate the way Halo plays...
I hate being restricted to 2 weapons (no matter their size)
I hate fighting the same crappy enemies constantly
I hate the storyline
I hate the atmosphere
I hate the vehicles
I hate the weapons (most unoriginal weapons ever)
I hate how overrated it is
I hate how bad the multiplayer sucks (I know I just offended a bunch of you... but to me it sucks)
I hate the voice acting

I think that about sums up what I hate... may add some more things later if I can remember any... but I might not bother trying to remember since it will just make me go vomit from thinking about that horrible game.

anzak
08-01-05, 12:10 AM
Heh, I waited about 2 mins in the checkout line at Xbox launch for a decent game. I'm glad I don't think every game sucks like you do.

QFT

six_storm
08-01-05, 12:31 AM
Yeah, my local EB Games is only getting 28 units and I get #25 hehe. They are not taking any reservations for games or accessories yet so I guess that's a good thing.

I think I'm going to get Madden 06 and Perfect Dark Zero for my starters along with an extra controller.

npras42
08-02-05, 07:09 PM
I think Halo is over-rated too... I can't say I hate it but I think that its made out to be the the best game ever and it seriously just is far from it. I quite enjoy multi-player but I think the single-player and game mechanics other than vehicles very ordinary.

Having said that, there is nothing better on consoles for FPS. Its sad but true.

For me, Ninja Gaiden is what made XBOX and is what is making me think about getting X360 at launch. I'm not sure its a launch title but I would still pick one up at launch to try the other next-gen games.

And I dont care what anyone says, XBOX launch titles sucked. They were worse than PS2launch titles which I actually bought at launch, and thought was a huge mistake. I think of the launch titles SSX was decent... I think that was launch.... UK that is.

OWA
08-02-05, 07:29 PM
I need to get a HDTV first. I'll probably still check to see how it looks on a regular TV and if it's greatly improved over the current xbox (even on a regular TV), maybe I'll get one before the HDTV.

Namrok
08-02-05, 10:10 PM
I just hate the way Halo plays...
I hate being restricted to 2 weapons (no matter their size)
I hate fighting the same crappy enemies constantly
I hate the storyline
I hate the atmosphere
I hate the vehicles
I hate the weapons (most unoriginal weapons ever)
I hate how overrated it is
I hate how bad the multiplayer sucks (I know I just offended a bunch of you... but to me it sucks)
I hate the voice acting

I think that about sums up what I hate... may add some more things later if I can remember any... but I might not bother trying to remember since it will just make me go vomit from thinking about that horrible game.

Honestly the only reason Halo did well was that Microsoft hyped it beyond beleif, and it was the first shooter on a console that was even playable. Nevermind that most of the level design was attrocious. I felt like I was playing something from 1997 they re-used so many of the same damn corridors and rooms. Same goes for the countless number of times you had to just stand around fighting waves of enemies for some arbitrary reason. Even DOOM didn't lock you in a room till you killed everything, and that came out in 1993. Reminded me of some of the craptastic maps which always come out after a map editor is released for most FPSes.

The whole feeling of being the ultra badass Master Cheif... and killing what look like tiny little nerd aliens who run away half the time was NOT satisfying. I actually found myself DISLIKING the combat. Though this probably comes down to personal preference because I like my first person shooters to be fast and blood pumping like the original Doom and Painkiller, and hate all these FPSes which try to be realistic or tactical, just not my cup of tea. On a side note, I think Painkiller had the best level design of any first person shooter I've ever played. Incredibly varied, visually appealing and easy to get around. Best weapons too when it comes to creativity and raw feedback you get. Gonna have to give the nod for best monsters to Doom 3 though (at least from a visual standpoint).

I first played Halo on the PC and I'll admit, I didn't beat it. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I got to a point after these parasite things showed up, and I was following some glowy orb thing. And then I simply lost interest in the game. When my roommate had an x-box and convinced me the game was "soooooo much better" on console, and that I should give it a try, I caved. I beat only 2 or 3 levels before I gave up in frustration at the controls. What can I say, not being able to do a 180 turn with a flick of the wrist killed me one too many times.

Here is why Halo did well. It brought an average at best first person shooter to a group of people who had never played one before. And Microsoft's marketing blitz made it "cool".

evilchris
08-02-05, 11:02 PM
Here is why Halo did well. It brought an average at best first person shooter to a group of people who had never played one before. And Microsoft's marketing blitz made it "cool".

Hi I'm 30 years old and have been gaming since the Atari 2600. I've also played every 1st person shooter since Wolf 3D. Guess what? I loved Halo too. There went your illogical "argument". Lose the "eLEET pC gAMAR" attitude.

Edge
08-02-05, 11:16 PM
No, there were plenty of other mediocre FPS games released on consoles before Halo that gave people lots of chances to try out the genre. Red Faction, Turok, Timesplitters, Tenka, and about a dozen others were released long before Halo and they barely got any attention (except for Turok, since there weren't many FPS games like it). Even some of the big-name FPS games that were popular on PC such as Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Half-life, Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, Doom, and No one Live Forever didn't get much attention on consoles. It took a major game that actually met and surpassed the expectations of PC FPS games, such as Goldeneye and Halo, for the game to be popular on a console.

Personally, I intentionally AVOIDED Halo for almost a year and a half after it's release because I heard so much clammoring from PC FPS players that it was a terrible game compared to PC FPS games, only to eventually play it and find that it was one of the best FPSes out there. Of course, by then there were PC FPS games that did some things better (the large environments were easily eclipsed by Unreal 2's, for example), but on the whole it had the most advanced combat system and best enemy AI I had seen, and the gameplay kept me interested throughout the whole thing despite some of the extremely repeatative level designs. Although I found playing in the lower difficulties to make the game feel fairly shallow, to really appreciate the game I had to try Heroic and eventually Legendary (when you're FORCED to learn how to play the game properly). Coop also added a lot of enjoyment to the title.

Edit: why do my posts always come after evilchris' with the same quote, except I actually go in depth with my reasoning?

Namrok
08-03-05, 12:03 AM
Even some of the big-name FPS games that were popular on PC such as Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Half-life, Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, Doom, and No one Live Forever didn't get much attention on consoles. It took a major game that actually met and surpassed the expectations of PC FPS games, such as Goldeneye and Halo, for the game to be popular on a console.

I'm sorry, but you cannot tell me that Halo was better than Half-Life. Now I'm not sure of the timeline, and to be honest I didn't even know HL came out for consoles, but the AI from what I saw is better in HL, the weapons are better, the levels are better by several orders of magnitude, and the action just plays better. By mentioning all these great FPSes which went console but never did well, you only emphasize my point that marketting was what made Halo what it is. Maybe it's just me though. I mean the main areas I look for in a FPS are fast action, weapons which give good feedback, and good level design. Halo had none of these.

I will grant you GoldenEye though, first FPS I can remember PERIOD with objective based missions as opposed to kill everyone, hit the switch and repeat. I'm sure something probably came before it in that regard, but I don't recall it.

Hi I'm 30 years old and have been gaming since the Atari 2600. I've also played every 1st person shooter since Wolf 3D. Guess what? I loved Halo too. There went your illogical "argument". Lose the "eLEET pC gAMAR" attitude.

Just so you know I haven't gamed on the PC in months because honestly I hate the direction most PC games have been going. Every RPG is MMO almost. Every FPS takes place during WW2 and/or is tactical. And RTS just keeps going after more complexity. Been going after the cream of the crop from this gen's console games on GC and PS2. So much for my "eLEET pC gAMAR" attitude.