PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my 6800GT

FlashGordon
08-01-05, 12:52 AM
I have a Leadtek 6800GT that has worked beautifully since I got it, but now its acting weird. Noticed while playing, the screen suddenly locked up. When I rebooted the display was all messed up, colored lines, weird and missing text, and so on. I removed card and reinstalled and evertything seemed to work fine again. However playing again, the same thing happened again. Funny, but seems to be happening when playing 3D games. No problems displaying 2D. Tried running PCmark 3Dmark03. Just got past the two bombers crashing into each when the screen goes white. Currently running the 71.84 drivers, but tried with the new 77.72 drivers and it did the same thing. Line voltage seems fine from PSU. Card is also stock, no overclocking. Do you think card is about to go dead? Funny, but I've had card for 1 year and 2 days.

anzak
08-01-05, 02:04 AM
Do you think card is about to go dead? Funny, but I've had card for 1 year and 2 days.
Yeah, graphical artifacts like that are a sign its going bad. I believe Leadtek has a 3 year warranty so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a replacement.

rohit
08-01-05, 05:07 PM
what are the temps of the card. idle/load.
if the temps are gine, i think the card's mem got curropted.
happened with my msi 6800gt.

FlashGordon
08-01-05, 09:52 PM
Not sure about temp, since I'm not monitoring it in real time unfortunately. I must admit though, I'm quite pleased with the response from Leadtek. Took awhile to find the tech support form to submit, but after filling out the info and submitting it, got a quick email response for further info. Emailed back my response, got another quick email and rma document. Quite pleased and surprised with their quick response. Submitted the rma request. Once I get the rma number, turn around should be two weeks.
Funny thing I didn't have a spare card. Had two, but sold the 9600 Pro a few months ago, and donated my 5900XT (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=45&threadid=1620587&enterthread=y. So I got a BFG 66000GT OC which I just installed. Nice opportunity to try this well regarded card and company. So far I'm impressed, definately a great value and bang for the bucks. I tried it out with WOW and found it handled the game very well, except in Lagforge, but then again my 6800GT lagged too.
Thx for your responses.

arise
08-02-05, 03:39 AM
Jesus Christ same thing happened to me last night!

Worked perfectly since i bought it (last September), suddenly last night locked up while playing BF2. Real bad...weird coloured lines/patterns. Funny thing is the sound was still going on, slower paced as usual, i could still shoot the m95 sniper once every 5-6 sec or so. Then it died for good.

Booted Linux, same corruption so it wasn't the XP drivers, must be the card. Checked fans (CPU,gfx,case), temps were ~ 65C for the gfx and 36C/37C cpu/case. Got a BFG 6800GT/OC by the way. not o/c-ed at all.

after a few reboots it was ok in 2D, didn't have bawls to try to crash it in 3d again. will try tonight though.

anyone have an idea whats going on?

PS - running the drivers that came with BF2, 77.50 i think

rohit
08-02-05, 03:50 PM
RMA if the card is dead..BFG rma/warranty is the best

Phalinx
08-02-05, 04:10 PM
Jesus Christ same thing happened to me last night!

Worked perfectly since i bought it (last September), suddenly last night locked up while playing BF2. Real bad...weird coloured lines/patterns. Funny thing is the sound was still going on, slower paced as usual, i could still shoot the m95 sniper once every 5-6 sec or so. Then it died for good.

Booted Linux, same corruption so it wasn't the XP drivers, must be the card. Checked fans (CPU,gfx,case), temps were ~ 65C for the gfx and 36C/37C cpu/case. Got a BFG 6800GT/OC by the way. not o/c-ed at all.

after a few reboots it was ok in 2D, didn't have bawls to try to crash it in 3d again. will try tonight though.

anyone have an idea whats going on?

PS - running the drivers that came with BF2, 77.50 i think

Before sending back the card, try installing an older driver 66.93. If the problem still exists, then rma the card.

FlashGordon
08-02-05, 06:56 PM
Got my rma number in the email today, so I'll be shipping it later this week. Again, I got to say I'm still amazed at Leadtek's quick response. :thumbsup:

crainger
08-02-05, 11:30 PM
Whoa! This is exactly what happened to mine. Coloured lines, missing text. Its now in the process of being replaced. Whats with all the dying 6800GT's right now?

j0j081
08-03-05, 05:02 AM
Whoa! This is exactly what happened to mine. Coloured lines, missing text. Its now in the process of being replaced. Whats with all the dying 6800GT's right now?
maybe the big secret is they go bad after a year or so if you oc a lot.

dlacharme
08-10-05, 12:44 PM
Hello (my first post....)
I have the same problem with my leadtek 6800 GT(a400).
After having changed my motherboard (p4p800 for a p4c800 E-deluxe), my computer does not run any more, the leadtek had "roasted" during the transfer.
Then , after having read your topic, i think that it's a "serial problem".

I returned the card three weeks ago, and nothing new.......Do you have some news ?

And excuse me for my bad english.

rohit
08-10-05, 01:11 PM
roasted? did you drop it or sumthin? leld it roughly or sumthin?
Gettin the a400 out of the AGP bus with agp lock, is a tough job (Beign dual slot, and unable to see the lock beneath it). thats the place where one might spoil the card.

dlacharme
08-10-05, 03:54 PM
Ok, when i say "roasted", it's the "google translate" for "grillée".
No, the "tecnhician" said to me that it is during the transfer that the card has to have a problem.(another google translate, hope it's the good words). :confused:

But after i see your message, i really think it's a serial problem.I have exactly same problems that you.
I bought my 6800 two months ago and i never use oveclocking, now it's mosaic, missing texts, bars transversely.....my desktop look like a picasso's paint. :afro2:

$n][pErMan
08-10-05, 06:32 PM
sh!t ... I hope this is not a trend!! I have had my card for almost a year now also :eek: *Knocks on wood* .. keep working... :)

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 06:38 PM
i wouldn't oc much if your worried about your card dying or have a good warranty and don't mind the hassle of rma. 6 series don't seem to like being oc'ed for long periods.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 06:43 PM
you may all also want to take a look at the current topic of conversation in the random freezes sticky. the quality of nvidia hardware is in question.

$n][pErMan
08-10-05, 07:48 PM
My OC is under warrenty ... it better hold up!

rohit
08-11-05, 01:07 PM
Oh God, this happened last nite.
i posted a quick reply to dlacharme's post.
i closed the window, went to the loo, came back.. saw the monitor display went black, and i could here only the sound (yes winamp was on).
i moved the mouse, hit the keys..nothing got the display back. i hit the reboot button, i got the audible message "System Failed VGA Test". yes, i being very panachy, opened the side panel, all seemed working well (the fans n all), but the msg came again "System failed VGA Test"

so i removed the card (It wasnt hot), reseated it started the comp, this time i didnt get the message, but the screen was Blank (No Display). i waited for 2 mins, n the windows startup sound came. but there was no display. i switched of the comp.. removed the cardd again, kept it out for 5 mins, put it back, all back to normal.

Conclusion : I think this thread is JINXED in some way. i feel mod should lock it please.

dlacharme
08-11-05, 01:24 PM
LOL...sorry.

May be the 6800GT have a system of self-destruction.Or it's a world conspiracy :mad:

Leadtek:
Thank you for your inquiry

This seems to be a hardware issue or not................ we recommend you can wait for the report feedback from the vendor.

How long will the RMA service required in average...? We recommend you can try to get the exact info through our local distributor.

Sondrax
08-17-05, 06:06 PM
wtf the same just happend to me. my system ran 24/7 for like 4 months, then i go on vacation for a week so turned it off, now came back and suddenly the gfx card acts like described above :(
gfx card is a gigabyte 6800gt, baught in march together with a mobo
very strange.. hope i still find that warranty/bill thing to get it replaced *sigh*

crainger
08-17-05, 06:27 PM
This is getting really bad. Perhaps there were some bad batches of early cards or something. My card would OC past 375 so it never was overclocked. Though I'm starting to worry about my RMA. Its been a month and still no word. Still I think it'll be two months before I see anything done.

dlacharme
08-19-05, 01:21 PM
Hello.
A friend said to me that that comes from the DDR3 . :confused:

FlashGordon
08-31-05, 10:10 PM
Ok, just wanted to give an update. Finally received package from Leadtek. No letter explaining what happened, but did receive a replacement card. :D
Card looks very good. Can't tell if its a rebuilt one or a new one (different s/n than the one I sent in). It does come in a brand new packaging with manuals, hardware, and Cds for games and drivers, just like when buying a new card. Very impressed with the support I've received from Leadtek. Will try to install card this weekend.

crainger
08-31-05, 11:58 PM
Ok, just wanted to give an update. Finally received package from Leadtek. No letter explaining what happened, but did receive a replacement card. :D
Card looks very good. Can't tell if its a rebuilt one or a new one (different s/n than the one I sent in). It does come in a brand new packaging with manuals, hardware, and Cds for games and drivers, just like when buying a new card. Very impressed with the support I've received from Leadtek. Will try to install card this weekend.

Still waiting for my replacement from XFX. Been about a month now. Still have another month to wait before the online store will start hunting it down for me :(