PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best RPG of all time?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zelda_fan
08-01-05, 11:03 AM
I got bored so I replayed Baldur's Gate II w/ the ToB expansion back, and I have to say, looking back on it all, Baldur's Gate II was the best RPG ever created. Other RPGs might have better graphics and fancier engines, but BGII perfected what RPGs are all about: the story, characters, and atmosphere.

The story? When I say story in BGII, I mean with the ToB expansion. ToB basically ties up any loose ends in the game, and IMHO is required to fully enjoy BGII. To be honest, there is a VERY short list of games who's story can hold my attention. It goes something like Gothic I & II, Legend of Zelda series, NWN HoTU, Mario RPG, Thief I, and BG I & II. Notice how most of those games are old school. It's been a good long time since I've played a game with a solid story. Today it seems like all the focus is on makeing a more photorealistic engine, which is great, but I think RPG makers need to get back to their roots.

Characters. No other game remotly touches the characters that were in Baldur's Gate. Minsc? How can you not love that lunatic Minsc and his hamster! Korgan Bloodaxe, Aerie, need I go on? And the romances are a very nice touch. They are deep and well developed, as opposed to the sex minigames that exists in other games I'm not going to mention.

Atmosphere. Every area of BGII is hand crafted. Every area is unique. It may only be 2D, but it's about the best 2D I have ever seen, and puts a lot of 3D games to shame. The areas and music in that game set the atmosphere perfectly. You really feel like you're on an adventure, which is what makes the game so much fun.

Now I look to the future and see where the RPG market is headed.

Oblivion is going to rock the socks as far as graphics and game mechanics go, but I am worried that it will have a poor story and characters. The trailer LOOKS promising, but Bethesda has a history of only focusing on the atmosphere and game world and that is it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 could be a hit or miss. With HotU Bioware proved they could make an excellent RPG useing NWN Style gameplay. Hopefully Obsidian will learn from this and make NWN2's official campaign more like HotU style.

Gothic 3. Gothic I and II were great games, and I expect the third one to basically be the same with an updated graphics engine and a bigger game world.

Dragon Age. Ever since I replayed BGII I have gotten really excited about Dragon Age. BioWare has stated that DragonAge will be a "spiritual successor" to all of their games. That basically means a few things: party based combat, good story, good characters, good atmpshere, and basically everything else that made BGII the greatest RPG ever (my opinion).

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 11:12 AM
What type opf RPGs? While I prefer the more Japanese cultured RPGs for D&D Based RPGs, I have to say that I loved the Icewind Dale series, probably more then the BG series since I have always been a fan of the Icewind Dale area in Forgotten Relms.

As for other RPGs catagories, My favorite would be Chrono Trigger due to its sheer perfection for its time.

Other games I would consider for my top choices would be Final Fantasy VI, Baldurs Gate II, Planescape, System Shock 2 (if you consider that an RPG), Lunar 2, Tales of Phantasia and Everquest.

I noticed that you mentioned Zelda, I will never consider any game of its series as an RPG, The character does not grow. He just gains new items throughout his adventure, the only permenant growth is his health, and many non RPGs do that.

Ninjaman09
08-01-05, 11:21 AM
None of the above, my votes go to Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, and Lunar: SSSC. The Baldur's Gate series is definitely up there as well though it is very hard to rate given the tremendous time investment required to replay it ;). Zelda isn't really an RPG (a fantasy setting does not an RPG make!)

Tygerwoody
08-01-05, 12:03 PM
Everquest is number one. Even though its an MMO and i havent played it in 5 years... its still number one.

Morrowind is a close second though

Banko
08-01-05, 12:11 PM
Wow no Fallout and Planescape: Torment? The KOTOR's and Baldur's Gate are the only good thing on there, everything else sucks as an RPG.

evilchris
08-01-05, 12:26 PM
None of the above. I vote the Phantasy Star series which started on Sega Master System.

Zelda_fan
08-01-05, 12:48 PM
I tried to limit it to more mainstream RPGs on the PC only. Chrono Trigger was a great RPG, but it was for the SNES. Fallout and PS:T were good RPGS, but they never hit the popularity that Baldur's Gate hit. Oh well lol, it was a bit of a flawed poll anyway. There are so many good oldschool RPGS. My point is where are the good *new* RPGS?

zoomy942
08-01-05, 01:00 PM
gotta go with Grandia II

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 01:10 PM
I tried to limit it to more mainstream RPGs on the PC only. Chrono Trigger was a great RPG, but it was for the SNES. Fallout and PS:T were good RPGS, but they never hit the popularity that Baldur's Gate hit. Oh well lol, it was a bit of a flawed poll anyway. There are so many good oldschool RPGS. My point is where are the good *new* RPGS?

The only limit you set was the poll, your post had no limit. As for Planescape and Fallout, I found them far better then Baldurs Gate 2. Just because they didn't get the appreciation that they deserves does not mean they can't be better then another title.

Oh and by "limiting" to mainstream PC RPGs your basically limiting your thread to very few games since like Planescape and Fallout, few ever became Mainstream.

zoomy942, You liked Grandia 2 better then the original? Sure it was more mature but man it was flawed at times, great for the dreamcast which lacked RPGs but over shadowed by Skies of Arcadia (awsome game).

superklye
08-01-05, 01:45 PM
Baldur's Gate represent!

Zelda_fan
08-01-05, 01:47 PM
Baldur's Gate represent!

sweet! another fellow BG fan. What do you think of Dragon Age? You think it is the successor that us BG fans have been waiting for?

SH64
08-01-05, 01:55 PM
Morrowind .. simply the best RPG i've ever played.

carkis
08-01-05, 02:56 PM
I never followed through with BG II. I intend to one of these days, but I was easily compelled to finish Icewind Dale. Neverwinter HotU was fun and short enough for me to complete 3 times through.

jAkUp
08-01-05, 02:57 PM
Kings Quest 6 ;)

ricercar
08-01-05, 03:06 PM
The original Neverwinter Nights MMORPG on AOL, back in 1990-1991, was hella cool.

Non-text based, none of this mora/adventure ascii stuff. 2d OVerhead view like Pool of Radiance. Perfectly faithful to original AD&D rules. Fees were based on time played, none of this high priced unlimited monthly access stuff.

Player-vs-player combat was not anticipated properly. The code for PVP physical combat was "ripped out" according to the programmer, but spells could still affect player characters. This made clerics and wizards very valuable.

Everything since then is a copycat. Everquest-bah.

</humor>

Zerocool
08-01-05, 03:19 PM
The OG Final Fantasy for Nintendo, use to have hella fun with that game.
Anyone played GuildWars? Been lookin at it, free online play, looks pretty good. Ive mainly play FPShooters and SplinterCell CT though I like RPGs, is it worth getting? I dont want to waste $ you know.

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 03:20 PM
It's a waste... the game gets boring fast... D2 is better then it.

Ninjaman09
08-01-05, 03:27 PM
I totally agree, I just can't stay interested in it.

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 03:31 PM
I totally agree, I just can't stay interested in it.

Something is going on, thats like the 3rd post or so that you agree'd with me on... thats rare. :eek:

Tr1cK
08-01-05, 03:36 PM
PC - Fallout
Console - FF3 (had me GLUED!)

Zerocool
08-01-05, 03:52 PM
Thanks, D2 is Diablo 2? I'ma look at Baldur's Gate 2, the way you guys discribed it, sounds very fun. Also Elder Scrolls, got alota votes too

SlamDunk
08-01-05, 04:01 PM
Easy choice :D

Gothic games, hands and pants down :super:

Too bad NetHack was not on the list. It's always been the REAL king of RPGs, all these years...

Zerocool
08-01-05, 04:11 PM
Easy choice :D

Gothic games, hands and pants down :super:

Too bad NetHack was not on the list. It's always been the REAL king of RPGs, all these years...
That NetHack game is free :) Ill check it out, heres the link for yall
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3622&st=0&#entry25188

superklye
08-01-05, 04:47 PM
sweet! another fellow BG fan. What do you think of Dragon Age? You think it is the successor that us BG fans have been waiting for?
I don't even know what Dragon Age is... :(

Arioch
08-01-05, 09:12 PM
Ultima, with 4 and 7 being my favorites.