PDA

View Full Version : What game is perfect to you?

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 04:26 PM
So heres a question, Which game do you believe is perfect? Please explain why...

If I could choose any game, It would be Chrono Trigger. For a SNES game it had some amazing visuals and animations. The fact that the enemies were always present on screen and you were never taken out of the adventure area helped alot also.

The characters aswell were all memorable and just great. They all had a reason to be in the game and had a deep background within their own story. Speaking of story the games story started so simple and goes into twists and turns only acouple hours into it.

The nonlinear aspect of the game was also incredible. I loved how many quests there were and none restricted you. This was aided to the fact that each quest alters on which of the 12 endings you would recieve.

The battle system was unique and simple, yet had its own depth. The abilty to link up character attacks to form Dual and Triple Techs is just such a great idea.

Then theres the music, Every tune is a masterpiece. Nobuo Uematsu is a god when it comes to composing and he does not fail on any track.

LT.Schaffer
08-01-05, 04:36 PM
For Me
1.Onimusha 2[Great Story\etc.][PS2]
2.Onimusha 3[Great Soundtrack\Graphics][PS2]
3.Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of time[N64][Great Story]
4.Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater[Awesome Graphics][PS2]
5.Myst 4 Revelation[Good Story\Tough Puzzles][PC]
6.Splinter Cell Chaos Theory[Great Coop\Great Graphics][PC]

|MaguS|
08-01-05, 04:42 PM

Seriously did you even bother reading? First I said GAME, no plural in there... and you didn't explain at all why the games you listed were perfect... awsome graphics means perfection?

Knot3D
08-01-05, 04:46 PM
For me it's Ico on PS2. I don't even consider that a game anymore. To me it's the best modern multimedia artwork out there.

Premise is very simple and old ; save the princess and escape the castle.

Level design and character moves intergrate perfectly and so does the
interaction with Yorda's AI.

The whole design of the game just oozes quality and style. Subtlety being it's
strength. The story seems minimal but it's pretty impressive in terms of emotional movement. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2 need hours of dialogue while Ico's story is just as strong but needs few words. It's the anti thesis of Hollywood style which seems to need to explain everything on some lower level.

I don't think Wanda & Collossus will be able to surpass Ico. I'm just glad PS3 will be backwards compatible so I'll still be able to play Ico on it.

LiquidX
08-01-05, 04:56 PM
Grim Fandango, absolutley perfect IMO. Excellent story, excellent pace, excellent graphics, excellent music. Everything just came together to make a perfect game for me. Everytime I played it, it was as if I was there and I wanted to be there. I really didnt want the game to ever end. The Longest Journey is a very close second followed by many console classics.

CaptNKILL
08-01-05, 05:04 PM
Shadowrun for SNES. The graphics, the interactivity, the story, the music, the sound effects, the characters, the replayability (because its just so damned fun)... just an amazing game.

Im still waiting for Shadowrun 2 you bastards :mad:

zmaster1911
08-01-05, 05:05 PM
Jedi academy from the gameplay for the pc. Story wise i have no favourite yet, but kotor 1 does come pretty close...

aaahhh52
08-01-05, 05:13 PM
For me it would have to be Rock, Paper, Scissors. Its simple yet addicting, it can solve nearly every problem on earth short of a thermo nuclear meltdown. And its free, all it requires is a buddy, or your other hand if you prefer. pfft....graphics...what's that?

LiquidX
08-01-05, 05:31 PM
Shadowrun for SNES. The graphics, the interactivity, the story, the music, the sound effects, the characters, the replayability (because its just so damned fun)... just an amazing game.

Im still waiting for Shadowrun 2 you bastards :mad:

I dont know if it is true sequal but Shadowrun is in development for the 360 as a FPS, although not officially confirmed (someone accidently spilt the beans).

OWA
08-01-05, 05:51 PM
Bejeweled. Simple but addictive. I wanted to hate it but I couldn't stop playing it.

DoomUK
08-01-05, 06:00 PM
Only one game? That's a tough one. You're basically asking us a 'Desert Island Game' question. Anyway, off the top of my head:-

Doom. PSX Doom to be exact (lol wonder why I call myself Doom, hey?)

Argueably the most famous PC game of all time, the Sony Playstation port revamped the majority of both the Ultimate Doom & Doom 2 chapters with:-

-Open GL (style?) lighting; i.e atmospheric, immersive environments
-Incredible audio (still one of the best soundtracks ever created for a comp/video game imho)
-Some new levels for good measure ;)

aAv7
08-01-05, 06:03 PM
I guess I'll have to go with Final Fantasy 7. No game has ever given me as much re-play value, since it's debut in 97, I still go back and play through it when "new" titles are few and far between on PC. (Which is pretty much every summer) I've played FF 1-10 and this was my favorite, everything was top notch from the story, to the graphics, to the use of materia, shocking deaths, a great villain....just a damn great game.

I personally feel after FF7, Square has never been able to re-capture the same kind of glory they did in their snes and early psone days.

ralinn
08-01-05, 06:14 PM
I guess I'll have to go with Final Fantasy 7. No game has ever given me as much re-play value, since it's debut in 97, I still go back and play through it when "new" titles are few and far between on PC. (Which is pretty much every summer) I've played FF 1-10 and this was my favorite, everything was top notch from the story, to the graphics, to the use of materia, shocking deaths, a great villain....just a damn great game.

I personally feel after FF7, Square has never been able to re-capture the same kind of glory they did in their snes and early psone days.
I feel exactly the same way. Best main character, best bad guy, best graphics for its time! Fantastic story as well, it's also one of those games where the more you go through it, the more you find, the more parts of the story piece together. Even now I play things like Doom 3, Far cry, HL2 and BF2, I always come back to FFVII.

When I went through it the first time I would want to cut school just to get back on it. The way it absorbed you in and you actually got so close to the characters, when you lose one (you know who.. still gives me a lump in my throat :( ) it really chokes you up. FFVII is the first and only game to have ever of done that to me!

The system to the battle and materia combos is just sheer genius, I've never played a game so balanced, so well thought out, consistant and polished.

Best game I've ever played and I really don't see anything taking over it :(

ricercar
08-01-05, 06:39 PM
Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game)). Simple, and complex. Rewards you with nuances. The more you put into Go, the more you get out. Best game in the world, for the last 4000 years.

anzak
08-01-05, 07:18 PM
I feel exactly the same way. Best main character, best bad guy, best graphics for its time! Fantastic story as well, it's also one of those games where the more you go through it, the more you find, the more parts of the story piece together. Even now I play things like Doom 3, Far cry, HL2 and BF2, I always come back to FFVII.

When I went through it the first time I would want to cut school just to get back on it. The way it absorbed you in and you actually got so close to the characters, when you lose one (you know who.. still gives me a lump in my throat :( ) it really chokes you up. FFVII is the first and only game to have ever of done that to me!

The system to the battle and materia combos is just sheer genius, I've never played a game so balanced, so well thought out, consistant and polished.

Best game I've ever played and I really don't see anything taking over it :(

QFT. I can't pick out any bad points from FFVII... or VI... or VIII.

LT.Schaffer
08-01-05, 08:16 PM

Seriously did you even bother reading? First I said GAME, no plural in there... and you didn't explain at all why the games you listed were perfect... awsome graphics means perfection?

I did read your message.
and i think each game has different things that make it "Perfect" to me,
but thats my opinion.
as for "the One game",
I think Zelda Ocarina Of Time.
Sorry for the mix up :(

avirox
08-01-05, 08:34 PM
Well as far as consoles go.. Bonk's adventure for TG16. Had imagination, had gameplay, and most of all it had a dude with a really huge head pwning people up with it :P Maybe it's jsut because my fondest gaming memories of growing up revolve around that game, who knows ^^ Zelda: Ocarina of time for n64 is a damn close second, in consoleville..
For PC tho it would definately be Quake 1. It simply is the best game I have ever played and am still playing 7 years later - It's completely 3d, has the most fast-paced gameplay, and it's completely modable. Even in HL2 you'll notice some of quakeworld's wonderful air control. Best of all you dont have to worry about your framerates cuz it'll run great on every system down to a pentium 1. peace,

Scorpiuscat
08-01-05, 08:34 PM
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

A gigantic, RPG with incredible game play, hundreds of quests and an awesome atmosphere.

There is no better RPG on the market today.

CaptNKILL
08-01-05, 09:36 PM
I dont know if it is true sequal but Shadowrun is in development for the 360 as a FPS, although not officially confirmed (someone accidently spilt the beans).
WOW!! Thanks for the heads up! I hope it comes out on PC too, though I really doubt it.

I'll play it one way or another :)

Ninjaman09
08-01-05, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I can't say which one game I think is perfect, because there's a slew of them and I'd be shortchanging them not to mention them all. So, here's my list:

Deus Ex - I cannot think of a single flaw in this game. In-depth character customization, long, exciting story, perfect mix of several genres, great graphics (for its time), excellent ambience, great music, passable voice acting, etc...I still play it to this day. I've sung its praises many times and I will continue to do so.

Chrono Trigger - Of course this is the canned answer, blah blah everyone loves Chrono Trigger...but it really deserves its praise. Great, original story, spectacular music, a new and innovative battle system, replayability (through plot choices and over 10 endings), and gorgeous graphics that have aged like fine wine. Just played through it again last week, and I'm sure to do it again. :)

Duke Nukem 3D - No FPS I have played since Duke Nukem 3D has even held a candle to it. Hilarious, campy single player campaign? Check. Lame, cheesily designed multiplayer levels that cater to campers? Check. Fun, original weapons? Check. Superb game engine? Check. I'll never forget how much fun I had playing Duke 3D over the modem with my friends back in high school. We learned every level inside and out, found every secret room with the switch that crushes the guy who goes for the rocket launcher, every cheap place to set tripmines and pipe bombs, and it was gaming nirvana. I yearn for those days.

Doom & Doom 2 - Let's be honest here. Who doesn't still like to fire up Doom every one in a while and blast some demons? I play Doom or Doom 2 at least once a week with the ZDoom source port just to kill some time and I NEVER get sick of it. I've been playing this damn game for over 10 years now, you think it'd get old, but nope. I hardly need to explain why I put this up here.

Final Fantasy IV - In my opinion, the height of the Final Fantasy series, both from a narrative standpoint and a gameplay one. Up until FFIV the battle systems were turn-based affairs without much graphical detail, but FFIV raised the bar with the ATB system which made combat far more exciting. The story was superb, if a little cliche, and held my interest from start to finish. This game truly captured my imagination, and I was enthralled by each and every little plot twist that came along. It helps that I was 11 at the time and not at all jaded, but I still play this one occasionally and it doesn't take much to remind me why I liked it so much in the first place.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - It's not often that a movie franchise game actually surpasses the quality of its source material - but this game did it, and then some. Aside from an astonishingly well-realized cast and superb storyline, this game has one of the best implementations of the d20 ruleset in a video game, especially considering it was originally a console game! The music is fantastic and memorable, the graphics are great, and the game's replayability is almost peerless.

Super Mario 64 - Arguably the best game on the Nintendo 64, and arguably the best Mario game made. Every Mario game prior to this was a refinement of the standard formula but this game was truly innovative. I spent hours and hours playing and enjoying this game, even going so far as getting all 120 stars! Kid game or not, this was a true gem and it's totally worth playing over again (which I do).

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Seeing a trend here? Yes, I'm a Super Nintendo fanboy. And for good reason - with games like this it's hard not to love it. Zelda 3 was the ultimate 2D iteration of the series. Its dungeons were vast, challenging, and enjoyable, there were plenty of secrets to be discovered, the game had an intriguing storyline, great music, and great graphics too. A true classic in every sense of the word!

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - I had reservations about this game before it came out, which I very quickly discarded. This game is HUGE and it is jaw-droppingly awesome. The gameplay was far better than I could have anticipated, the story was fun, interesting, and epic in its scope. The fishing sidegame alone was good enough to be its own game! This was a very long journey but not a single minute of it was wasted.

God of War - I hardly need to explain this one. BEST. ACTION. GAME. EV4R. From production values to storyline this game has everything an action game fan could ask for. It truly is perfect in every sense of the word, and is easily the best game on the PS2. Anyone who owns a PS2 and does not own this game should be drug out into the street...and driven to a store to buy it. ;)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - I love Metal Gear, and this game is the best one easily. The story was better, the gameplay is better, the ending is better, it's more replayable, etc etc... After MGS2, I was truly not expecting much from Konami. But then they make this masterpiece! Easily a close second to God of War for best PS2 game.

That's it for now, I'll add something later if I think of it...

jAkUp
08-01-05, 10:41 PM
I would have to say quake2 and 3. Those are my favorite games of all time.

wshadow
08-01-05, 10:58 PM
Dragon warrior 1 on the original nintendo, along with pool of radiance on the commodore 64...

killahsin
08-02-05, 02:45 AM
I have yet to play a perfect game.

As wshadow noted above i would agree that dragon warrior 1 was pretty damn close. The first zelda as well. Quake 2 was close to a perfect game experiance for me. Psychonauts is probably an example of a game almost reaching perfection recently.

Ninjaman09
08-02-05, 09:11 AM
I have yet to play a perfect game.

As wshadow noted above i would agree that dragon warrior 1 was pretty damn close. The first zelda as well. Quake 2 was close to a perfect game experiance for me. Psychonauts is probably an example of a game almost reaching perfection recently.
Ooh, yeah. Psychonauts goes on my list too. :D

aAv7
08-02-05, 10:56 AM
When I went through it the first time I would want to cut school just to get back on it.

I was a Junior in HS when FF7 came out. (just to show you how much I loved the game) I use to wake up 2 hours early (5:30am) just to get some time in on the game before school. :D Then I'd sit in school hyping for more. lol. Never had a game do that to me before or after FF7.