PDA

View Full Version : RoE com_fixedTic ??

zaG
08-01-05, 05:12 PM
Hello,

got a problem. Is it possible to remove the 60 fps cap in RoE ?? In D00M³ the mainprogram with com_fixedTic "-1" the 60 fps cap was gone. I wanna play with 100 fps or more !! Can anybody help please ??

DoomUK
08-01-05, 07:33 PM
Although you probably already know this, but removing the FPS cap in Doom 3 is pointless- it was put there by John Carmack & co. for good reason(s). Basically, and this is a poor description but: in Quake 3 Arena, if one's FPS was higher then the engine's tic rate (calculating physics, player movement etc) was higher too- resulting in players running on faster machines being able to outmanouver their opponents. Doom 3's tic rate was capped @ 60 FPS to sync the physics and so on and give everyone fair play ;) .

Thus, remocing the cap will a) most likely make the engine's physics go out of sync, and b) won't increase performance and/or playabilty.

To get the best/smoothest performance in Doom 3:-

Stable 60 FPS
60Hz monitor refresh rate
Vsync ON.

tuxfan
08-02-05, 04:04 AM
Insert a line: seta r_displayRefresh "85" into your DoomConfig.cfg file or do at the D3 console:
r_displayRefresh "85"
vid_restart

( replace 85 with your desired framerate )

zaG
08-02-05, 06:06 AM
Hmm they should lock the cap for multiplayer but in singleplayer i wanna be able to play with more frames than 60 :mad: i mean wtf ??

w/o v-sync i ll never play a game again. I hate tearing and that“s it !
60 Hz on a CRT Monitor .. noooo it causes flickering .. with a TFT ok but not a CRT.

So there seems no other solution to blow this 60 fps cap away ?? :(

zaG
08-02-05, 06:07 AM
Insert a line: seta r_displayRefresh "85" into your DoomConfig.cfg file or do at the D3 console:
r_displayRefresh "85"
vid_restart

( replace 85 with your desired framerate )

got r-displayrefresh on "120"

tuxfan
08-02-05, 10:21 AM
com_fixedTic has nothing to do with r_displayRefresh. Even with com_fixedTic set to 1 you can use higher displayrates than 60.
com_fixedTic limits the number of frames that will be rendered (written) into the framebuffer to a maximum of 60/sec.
r_displayRefresh sets the number of frames that will be read from the framebuffer (and displayed on the monitor).
So with com_fixedTic=1 and r_displayRefresh=120 the contents of the actual framebuffer will be displayed twice on your monitor before the next rendered frame is available.

Another thing is .. are you sure that your display can handle <your_D3_display__resolution> at 120 Hz ? For example your Windows/Linux environment should be able to display a desktop resolution of 1280x1024@120 if you like to play D3 with the same resolution@framerate.

zaG
08-03-05, 05:39 AM
My resolution on desktop is 1024x768@120Hz the same as in DooM³ ! I“ve noticed that com_fixedTic "-1" doesnt even work in the mainprogram . Wich patch is responsible for that ?? 1.1 ..1.2 (RoE) or 1.3 ??

Mr. Nice
08-03-05, 08:50 AM
My resolution on desktop is 1024x768@120Hz the same as in DooM³ ! I“ve noticed that com_fixedTic "-1" doesnt even work in the mainprogram . Wich patch is responsible for that ?? 1.1 ..1.2 (RoE) or 1.3 ??fixedtic -1 stopped working with patch 1.2. Fortunatly, since both ATI and NVidia drivers now allow forcing of triple buffering in opengl, this doesn't much.

The extra frames rendered beyond 60fps were simply duplicates (since with fixedtic -1 or 0 the world was updated precisely 60x per second regardless), hence the only real reason for tic -1 was to be able to have v-sync on while having a refresh rate which wasn't a multiple of 60, without having the framerate suffer more then neccessary (your frame rate would max out at the largest divisor of your refresh rate below 60).